Looking for feedback/beta testers [Cops 'n Robbers]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Silvanis, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    #1 Silvanis, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    Cops 'n Robbers is nearing the finish line, and I would like to get some feedback on the game itself and it's website. I've set up a Testflight recruitment URL (http://tflig.ht/10u2urd) if anyone is interested.

Also, the website has been revamped to add a bit more interest.

I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts on either.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Signed up through testflight. Just waiting for response

3. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    You've been added. Should have an email with the download link :)

4. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Played for a few mins so far. Have noticed a bit of problems with the controls response, I quickly learned if I'm trying to queue a direction I need to hit the button more than once, then it might work. This makes it easier to be caught than it should be. Turning the game from the fast and frantic game it should be to a frustrating experience that will be over soon after you are noticed. I like what you've done. I just think it needs a not of work.

5. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    #5 Silvanis, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    I have to wonder if that is an iPhone 5 specific issue. I've tested on a 3GS, a 4S, an iPad 3 and a iPad Mini and don't have a problem with the response on the controls.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention though. I'll have to see how I can get a hold of an iPhone 5 to double check...

EDIT: I think I know what's happening. The game only responds to tapping. If you don't lift your finger/thumb between taps, it won't act the way you think it should. I'll have to think about how to fix that.

6. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    #6 shortandnoisy, Jun 3, 2013
    Yep, played with that in mind helped a lot. Guess I'm getting lazy with my tapping recently, gonna put that down to swipe controls

EDIT playing a bit more, I cleared level 2 when it crashed to my home screen, reopening the game took me to the start of level one as if I'd chosen new game at the start

7. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    I sent a request

8. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I'll submit an update later today that lets you drag from one direction to another. Want to add a few more fixes first.

I think I know what caused that crash (tapping the continue button before it's displayed the level score). I've disabled the button until the end of level screen is finished displaying info.

9. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Added. Let me know if you have problems getting the game; I'm still getting used to TestFlight and I'm trying a bit of an experiment with you.

10. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    It downloaded smoothly with no problems. I've played it a little and the controls are a bit difficult.
    EDIT:btw I'm using iPod 4

11. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    Good game. Just fix the controls. That probably the biggest issue!
    Here's a list of recommendations:

Add more levels

Better controls
    Sound and music!!(it wasn't working if it is on there)

Option after a level beat to go to main menu

A way to return to main menu after losing.

Extras include:

A short opening intro

A robber walking over toward a money pile for any loading screen with him getting closer and to the money when it is being closer to loading game.

Better icon

cop mode!!

That's it for now.

12. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    What are you finding difficult about the controls? I find they work best when you hold it like a controller, but I've considered the idea of implementing swipe controls for those who don't like/want to do that. I'm not convinced that swiping the screen in various directions is fast or accurate enough to navigate some of the paths in the game, though.

13. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    There will be 20 levels total; 14 are in there now. 20 promises to be crazy if I can pull it off :)
    Sound and music are in there; there are volume controls in the pause menu. Might have to turn up the volume on the iPod while playing to hear them though; I know sometimes my iPhone will mute volume for apps after I mute a call.
    I'm working on the continue system so you can pick back up at any point; both of these are included in that.

I agree it needs a better icon. I probably won't have a loading screen at this time; the only load should be at the beginning.

Cop mode would be a future release, and that depends on how successful the game is. I would like to add a character select in general, giving you access to the rival along with other special characters as time goes on.

Thanks for the feedback!

14. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    I think swipe controls would work well. Maybe wouldn't work well for queuing turns, but would work well as real time controls. I haven't managed to find an item to speed movement up yet, is there one or any plans?

15. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    #15 Living Legend, Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks for listening to my ideas. The problem for the controls that I had was whenever I was trying to get away quickly my person would walk into a wall and I would try to make him turn and I would press the button to make him do it but I had to touch it many times before it reacted!
    One more problem that I have had once or twice was I would die then respawn in the bank then once I came out I was surrounded by cops and then I would die almost immediately.
    Also I played it some more and the sound+music did work

16. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    #16 shortandnoisy, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Had both problems, I've started used to the controls though, I think the problem could lie with the hitbox size of the buttons(?) maybe resetting the cops as well when you die would be good - it would save all the times I've respawned only to have two cops either side of the bank and nowhere to go.

EDIT: Silvanis, apart from us have you had any other testers? If lots of other people have issues with the controls could the difference from your experience be due to hand size? Dunno about anyone else but I have pretty big hands so sometimes struggle with virtual controls.

17. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I had some people play it at PAX East this year, but it's hard to tell where people are stuggling to use controls vs just getting used to playing in a short demo session. You two are the only testers I have so far.

I agree that I need to make the cops move on after taking you down. I did put in about 3 seconds on invinisibility when you respawn, but I might need to extend that a bit too.

18. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I orginally thought about a speedup item, but I thought it made more sense to have items that will disable the cops than make you run into them faster :)

There are 4 powerups you can get:
    A smokebomb that slows cops in the cloud and knocks the Rookie over. Cops in the cloud can't see you so you can run through them.
    Laced doughnuts that make the cops sick and run back to the police station. This is essentially the "eating ghosts" effect from Pac-Man.
    An inflatable lawyer that scares all the cops, making them scatter (generally away from the lawyer).
    A femme bot that walks a short distance and then explodes, knocking out any cops in the area. The cops are attracted to her while she is active.

I'll look into what it would take to get gesture recognizers working with Cocos2d's touch functions. That would let me implement a swipe control scheme.

19. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    I noticed the invincibility but sometimes that only gives you enough time to get boxed in before you become vulnerable again. If you move the cops on respawn extending the invincibility wouldn't really be nessesary given the distance you would gain.

20. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    I got the update and I like the swiping across arrows it responds better but it thinks your tapping the other way sometimes. Also if you swipe the same way your person teleports backwards.

Another thing is it plays bumpy when your moving across very short paths sometimes.

Also if you swipe left it doesn't work very well I think that it may be due to it being too close to edge of the devices screen.

I feel like the gameplay would improve a ton if just the controls were better.

Perhaps make an analog stick or something else.