Can you add advertisement into a paid app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MyLittleBigApps, May 14, 2010.

1. MyLittleBigApps

Sep 22, 2009
    London
    As title.

It is requested by a customer. I feel that it could be rejected by Apple for adding ads into a paid app, but couldn't find anything related.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Pretty sure it's allowed, but it might not go down too well with the customers. I'd recommend mentioning it clearly in the description.

3. MyLittleBigApps

Sep 22, 2009
    London
    Thanks for the replay!

Well, I guess the description will put off loads of customers though.

4. rarindeed

rarindeed New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    The key is to make the ad not seem like an ad... "People who bought this app also liked..." etc. ;)

5. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    So it's better to get a ton of 1 stars, and angry customer reviews?

6. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    It's done like this:

1. Release paid app without ads.
    2. Wait a couple of weeks.
    3. Release update not mentioning your ads.
    4. Sit back and watch people get pissed off and 1 star your app.
    5. Learn from mistake.

7. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    You're going to take a ton of crap if you do something like that, it's OK by Apple, but a bad idea.

8. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Depends what you mean by ads.

Is it possible to put admob banners on every screen of a paid app? Yes, if you're a total dick. Just don't expect to get enough sales for those ads to actually bring in any cash.

Does this mean paid ads can't include ANY advertising? No. It simply means you need to think it out more carefully. For a start, don't use Google or admob - in fact, you'd be best off limiting it to ads for products by your own company/group. And most importantly, DON'T under any circumstances ever put ads in a gameplay section.
    A good example of an acceptable way to do ads in a paid game would be to display a banner for your latest game (or one you've got on promotion at the moment, or one that's coming soon, etc) on the main menu screen, with perhaps a link underneath that takes people to a "More apps by this company" page.

9. MyLittleBigApps

Sep 22, 2009
    London
    Thanks, guys.

Like I said, it is a request from my CUSTOMER! I don't really have the control because I am doing this app for them, not for myself...

It is not an AdMob banner, just their own ads.

I tried to find some Apple's rules to let them give up... But there is apparently no rule out there.

Anyway, it is their decision, so I will give them some advices on the description thing and let them expect some 1 star reviews and angry customers.

10. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Tell your customer, the apps I have paid for that later add ads.

• I go to Itunes and write a Bad review 1 Star rating.
    • I tell all my friends and post on forums about what they did.
    • Lastly I never buy an app from the developer again. Simple as that.

11. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    It is allowed, no rules against it but it would probably be looked down upon by the customers.

12. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Right, so it's just ads for their stuff. Where are they putting these ads? Is it on the main menu or in gameplay? If it's on the main menu, I don't really see the problem.

13. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Regardless if I pay I don't want to see ads, I payed money for the full version and I don't want ads... ever.

14. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I think the only place it would be acceptable on a paid app is to have the 'other games by us' adverts at the bottom of your developer credits page if you have one.