Decisions decisions on two RPG's

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Professionalbum, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Professionalbum

Professionalbum Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Professional bum
    The Prison Planet
    What would be the better of the two old-school RPGs?

The Quest-yes I know it's been out long plus two expansions; but I've heard complaints of control issues
    or
    Undercroft

Any input would be appreciated.

Also, anyone play Brother in Arms and what's your two cents?

2. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Never had any control issues with The Quest, so I don't know what you are referring to. The Quest is a much more in-depth rpg with more roleplaying options and more freedom to go where you want, and more consequences with regards to how you chose to play and it's a solo adventure.

Undercroft is much more accessible, and you make a team of adventurers instead of going it solo (you can, but it will be very challenging). The game world is broken up into several maps and it is more linear.

The Quest is the bigger game, imho, even without including the expansions.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Keep in mind that this is one man's opinion: I find Undercroft to be a heck a lot more fun than The Quest is certainly the deeper game, but from my experience, it's extremely slow. Graphically, I find the Quest to be very bland, which kind of kills any sense of exploration I usually get from open world RPGs. I've also really come to appreciate Rake in The Grass's sense if humor.

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I tried to like The Quest lite version. I really did. Its a deep game and even has expansion packs etc. I gave it so many tries since it got rave reviews. I play RPG's all the time on any platform but for some reason just could not get into it. I think it wasn't what I use my itouch for, so just couldn't devote the time it needed.

Undercroft however I tried the lite, completed the first area, and promptly purchased the full version. It just had something more for me. I like that its linear and you can play in spurts and know pretty much what you need to do, where you left off, etc. Much more in tune with my itouch playing habits. I have come to really like Rake in the Grass and am actually surprised at how many of their games I have on my iTouch for the long haul!

I guess its going to be up to everyone's own preference. So since they both have lite's available you should give them both a go and then make a choice based on which you like better. You will quickly realize which is the game for you if you do that!

5. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Just adding that there are lites for both of them and you can probably tell by then.

Now my opinion is that I never got into quest and probaably deleted in a few minutes while undercroft may be less indepth than it's counterpart, I find it to be a more enjoyable game.

6. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Quest is so in depth

I agree with some people said earlier: the Quest is a verrrrry in-depth game and has lots to explore and play with. However, with me and with some others it seems, that turns out to be its downfall. I simply don't use my iTouch to play a game for so many hours on end and the Quest is not something that can just be picked up and played with for 10 minutes and stopped. While I still stand by it as a great game for what it is, after buying a gazillion games for the iTouch, I find the most suitable to me are ones that can be picked up and played for 10 minutes and still be fun.

I got Undercroft lite and am excited to try it but there's about five games I've got in line before it.

I do wish though for a game as long as the Quest (about a gazillion hours by my last estimate) but that can also be played for 10-15 minutes at a time if need be.