Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, give us Smash Up then. It's both a boon and a curse to have one developer hold so many great licenses.

2. Toucher

Toucher New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Cool art on the cards!

3. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Well done jnt325 - beat me by 1 point 60-61. I thought I had just done enough on the turn both Avatar of the Fallen and Hedron Cannon were on the Centre Board. Jnt325 killed a Wind Tyrant, and flipped a Mistake of Creation that I used to banish the Hedron Cannon.

In the end, jnt325 managed to run down the last of the honour using Yggdrasil staff. Very, very tight.

I'm now taking an hiatus because my girlfriend arrives back next week, and I've performed no decoration. So I need to get cleaning, painting, yada yada yada - and hope she doesn't notice the substitute girlfriend [Xbox 360].

4. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Good games! Look forward to playing you in the future. :)

5. jnt325

jnt325 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Good games riotgirl. Look forward to playing you again when you have the chance.

6. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Bedroom decoration completed at beginning of the week; girlfriend returned to UK; and now Playdek are having a sale where every game is 99c. An opportune time to pick up both RoF and SoS expansions - especially because I felt dirty after paying £1.99 for a (albeit charming) game last weekend that sadly introduces artificial time constraints to drive consumable IAP.

The addiction starts again ..

I still have Chinese study and resume redrafting to do. Plus, I need to learn Chinese cooking [girlfriend]. So maybe some MP RoF week after next?

If anyone, like me, has the base game but doesn't have the expansions, now is the perfect time to pick them up.

7. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Just discovered something this weekend. When you're zoomed in on a card that's part of a group of cards (like the center row or your hand), if you swipe left or right, the card will switch to the next card over (without zooming out). Just a nice little shortcut.

Also discovered the awesomeness that is Playdeks's Penny Arcade game. Wasn't sure what to expect really, but it's a lot of fun. A nice cross between Dominion (fixed cards piles) and Ascension (dual currencies and victory points on the cards you use instead of being separate).

8. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    About Penny Arcade : Far too easy imho. I just played it for the achievements and came back to Ascension ^^ However it's a good game, but i really prefer Ascension :)

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Do NOT forget the Promo Cards!!! (sorry cannot help to feel stressing this enough) :D

If you have another-can-of-soda-to-spare, try the PA card game. I have gone through the tutorial (which is also excellent, btw), never read the manual and I feel good enough to go!

10. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Easy how? To win? Or do you mean too simple of a game? I do think it has a very casual feel, but I think it has a good amount of strategy as well - just the simple choice of whether to go for green cards or red ones itself is an interesting element.

11. Shaul8Bit

Shaul8Bit Active Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Voice Overs, Production, Radio and Graphic Design
    Miami, FL
    Agreed. Fun alternative to Ascension but I keep returning to Ascension. Far more strategy and depth to it. Plus I prefer the cards/abilities/designs in Ascension.

Add me on GC: Shaul305

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I think PA comes off simple, not that it is EASY but it often feels so streamlined when compared to games like Ascension and Dominion. Like it would appear the 90% of the common cards are just basic resource production, attack, or defense. Other than a few esceptions, it doesn't feel like you'll ever be able to come up with anything but the most transparent of card combos in the game.

This being said I LOVE the concept of the Boss Loot cards! Each item of loot is somewhat unique to that boss and without a duplicate in a given session. In something like Dominion these loot cards would be the lynchpin of an elaborate combo but, due to the very random nature and scarcity of the loot cards, you could never really plan a big deck building strategy around any one of them.

13. ironcub14

ironcub14 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ontario
    Hey guys, my GC name is ironcub14 and I love to play Ascension. I also play a bit of PA, TTR and am just picking up Neuroshima Hex, but I mainly enjoy playing Ascension. I've checked the forum time to time but this is my first time posting. Please feel free to send game invites!

I wanted to add one thing. I play with folks at Quarter to Three forums as well, and I missed out on these inter-forum tourneys they had vs Gamers with Jobs and Pocket Tactics. I mentioned that TA has love for Ascension as well and it wa suggested why don't we propose an inter-forum tourney between TA and Qt3?

It could be like a 10 vs 10 thing or whatever. If there is interest, we could come up with 10 people from each forums and decide on some tourney later on. I would be happy to participate in the TA side if you guys are cool with it. Here, we could draw names or do a mini tourney or league to pick 10 players. Would love to hear back this week. Take care all, hey whats up Emos.

14. MLKeener

MLKeener Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I'd be up for that

15. ironcub14

ironcub14 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ontario
    hey MLKeener, how are you as well! PT and TA have cross ties, I see haha.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
  17. almostrike

almostrike Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Hey all,

I am new here also, I love Ascension, and I would be happy to join this forum vs forum tournament. :)

18. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Ill throw my hat in the ring too.

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Sure I'd be up for the tourney as well.

20. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I'm in. Can't get enough of this game!