Dungelot [Dungeon crawler]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Pixeye, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Maybe you buy something now and later get a notifaction that you can download it. If that's the way it will go I hope to see this done in the future.

2. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Sorry for misunderstanding. I call this INAP as preorder. Sort of. Its a normal purchase of full version inside game via in-app purchase. But as I will upload full content for whole month I'll give discount for those who want to buy game right now.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok people little review:

It has the art style of battle heart and you click squares to either get coins or spells and other goods. I made it to floor 2 but not strong enough cause I keep losing but the game is pretty fun for a dungeon type game.

You get decent amount of coins when losing so you can get better equipment. It has so far a paldien and vampire and there's alot of rooms in each floor of the dungeon.

So PM him and sign up for testflight and try it out.

4. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I want to play the full game now. :D

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This game is officially a hoot and a half (a scientific unit of measurement to be sure)!

I think it is safe to say somewhat inspired by Desktop Dungeons, they've made an even more streamlined take on the whole thing.

At this point we just have the 2 heroes to choose from, each with their own initial stats and 3 passive abilities (i.e. kick in at random or automatically when appropriate without any fuss on the user's part).

Click on a accessible tile and see what's underneath. If you turn up a monster you can fight or ignore him, your call. Since there isn't really a straight experience system at play, there is nothing intrinsically gained by killing a monster BUT, monsters, once revealed, will block your access to uncovering any tiles adjacent to them. If it is a monster standing out in the middle of nowhere, who cares, but if he is there blocking your access to several tiles, you might need to kill him. Oh, and one of the monsters on the floor holds the key to the stairs. So if the only monsters left aren't blocking anything useful but you still have yet to find the key, you'll need to fight people until you get it.

Besides the hiding beasties, you'll also find weapon enhancements, health, and cash hidden behind tiles. So while you character never really levels up on a run, your weapon will improve over the course of the game as well as your health ebb and flow (although, for the most part it is a one way downward trend). Once you have the key do you keep exploring or dive down to a deeper level? Again, it's your call. The deeper you go the tougher the monsters.

Another bit of fun you often find are treasure chests with spells. You can hold up to 3 different scrolls at any one time (as many copies of any scroll you come across, but no more than 3 different ones). You also have a choice with any of these scrolls, use its cool effect or sacrifice it for a little bit of restored health. Also found in these chests are gems which grant useful PERMANENT boosts (well as long as you still have them). So find, say, a ruby, you not only get an immediate bonus of 2 health, you'll start your next run with 2 more health than you started with last time!

The cash you find can be used for a few random services in dungeon or saved up for use post dungeon to permanently build up some of your characters' passive skills (you can only play 1 character at a time but all characters share in the bonuses granted by your current gem collection). Also, since the money is pooled as well, you can make runs as a Paladin but use the gained money to upgrade your Vampire's skills.

Lastly, at the end of each run you'll receive a few cash rewards for your performance in the dungeon (it still isn't clear which of these rewards is connected to what action but stay alive for a long time exploring a lot and killing scads of monsters you're guaranteed to be awarded something extra).

So while you essentially start each run back at your initial stats, all of those gems and built up skills will ensure you can get a little further on average with each run.

5/5

6. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    im having a blast with the beta! really awesome game. just played my first two rounds. will post more impressions once I explore more!

7. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    ...tnx guys!) However there are few issues with balance and I try to solve problem. The main struggle is that you become quite fast overpowered and there are no need to use magic scrolls and so on.

So I'll take few days to rebalance and redo character selection screen.

- ruby boost will be permanent on all characters, but you wil find them less often.

- you will upgrade hp, attack power and speed individually for each class for coins. Price will grow as you progress.

I dont see big need to add experience/level system. But I must admit that current idea need to be polished.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No need for real experience levels, I think I like your idea of individually customizing each character via the coins as it will force interesting choices. I just hope you find ways to retain the balance as a roguelike is no fun once no monster can really pose a threat to you.

9. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Right away I'm trying to reuse old idea by making checkpoints ( each 10 levels dungeon progression saves . Sort of save zone ) Because of that you will always face stronger monsters than right now. ( As you wont start from 1 level always )

I really dont want to make huge remakes in game so I'll try to find more simple ways to rebalance game. If I'll fail than I'll make ideas in the post above.

10. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Ok...!)
    Few changes. I've managed to rebuild balance. Well I think so, but I will test it for a while.
    I've changed hero selection menu.

The game will be separated in 2 parts:

Journey mode ( sort of normal game ) where you explore dungeons having checkpoints each 10 dungeons. All heroes will have separate progression.
    In this mode you will also have chance to find crystals ( ruby ) that gives permanent boosts in hp,at. This will make game progression and balance smooth.

Survival mode ( Hardcore ) - in this mode your heroes stats will be decreased to initial values. Boosts from collected crystals will work though. Monsters will be more tougher and you wont find any crystals in this mode. Death is permanent.

I think this is the only way to balance game right and keep it interesting after playing ~1-2 hr.

[​IMG]

11. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Sounds superb! :D

12. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Btw, I'll be glad if anyone support game at slideDB
    Vote link

13. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    #113 Pixeye, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    link

Patch Log

Version 1.1
    • "Speed" stat removed. Monsters always strike first. Exception: using a magic scroll "first strike".
    • Blue and yellow gems removed.
    • Balance changed. (Monsters became stronger)
    • Player can buy swords and hearts in game.
    • Attack animation speed increased.
    • In game weapon shop removed.
    • Heroes description added.
    • Magic scrolls can be used on enemy archers.

14. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Dungelot has been sent to appstore

Dungelot has been sent to appstore! It took me 5 months to make this concept and I hope you will like it soon;-) I've also made few balance fixes: now game is easier to start. Last version was too hardcore;-) And...I'd like to say big thanks to all testers that helped me with feedbacks.

Link to play in web

Patch Log
    Version 1.2

• iphone version sent to appstore
    • Green jelly monster bug fixed
    • Balance enhancements: game become more friendly to new players.
    • Little game manual added.
    • Credits menu added.
    • iOS game center support added.
    • iOS facebook integration added.

15. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Awesome! It'll be hard to pull me away Fromm Baldur's gate binge, but I'll definitely be getting it.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Pixeye,

Can you explain the skill Undead Sympathy to me? What aspect is being improved by 10% and does leveling up this ability mean I can't damage undead eventually?

17. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer

Oh.) You will reduce enemy attack rate by 10%, but against undead your attack rate reduced.

18. fishil

fishil Member

Nov 29, 2009
  19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Congratulations on the submission, I am looking forward to Dungelot.

20. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer