Which one is more effective for iPhone Game's marketing?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rajonbuzz, Apr 11, 2014.

?

Which one is most effective for iPhone Game's marketing?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2014.
  1. Paid Review

16.7%
  2. ASO (App Store Optimization)

66.7%
  3. Advertising

16.7%
  4. Social Media Marketing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rajonbuzz

rajonbuzz Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    a. Paid Review.
    b. ASO (App Store Optimization).
    c. Advertising.
    D. Social Media Marketing.

2. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    ASO has probably done more for my apps in term of downloads than any of the others. I think it is almost 60% - 70% of app downloads are found via search. So choosing a name that is often searched for makes a huge differences compared to any of the others.

3. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
  4. ExK

ExK Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Founder @ http://cks-studio.com
    Singapore
    Is there any real 'before and after' stories for ASO? I'm also interested in how I can boost my games' downloads ...

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I voted ASO because most users find the app by searching in the app store.

6. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland

One example I have is my really simple running game.

I made a game called "Ridiculous Runner" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ridiculous-runner/id818392911?ls=1&mt=8) very basic running game. I released it 19th Feb 2014. In its total lifetime it has had: 292 downloads. I did no advertising at all.

I then reskinned it, no changes to the actual game just different theme. This time I called it: "Flappy Runner: Really speedy wings" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flappy-runner-really-speedy/id827666260?ls=1&mt=8) to play on the flappy wings that was popular. Released on 9th March 2014. In its total lifetime it had: 2760 downloads. Again no advertising at all.

The only difference between these games really was the name, the graphics are both really similar, slightly different themes. Which just goes to show how important the name is when trying to get downloads.

7. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Paid review/dl (unless you can build your own system that also does that).
    ASO and all that is just polish and nearly an excuse for "pros" to sell articles jam packed with ads. Real people see the icon, press download, goodnight.

You also forgot the option:
    "game is so good it will gain attention on its own", aka the ROFL option. :cool:

8. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I read this week end, something from 2012 I think, where the guy gained... fifty percent!!1!!

Now think of all the time wasted on researching ASO that could have gone into working on something else.

9. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    You need the right search terms so they can see the icon and click on it!

10. Ironcode

Ironcode Active Member

Oct 23, 2013
    India
    You should do bare minimum ASO, and that's it.

Why? Because download velocity and user engagement are the heaviest weighing factors in Apple Search rank. What this means is that no matter how much ASO you do, games that get a lot of downloads will always rank higher.

I advise not spending too much time on ASO.

11. rajonbuzz

rajonbuzz Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for your vote and comment. Buddy I just want to know whether "key words" is only sector for ASO or is there any other sector we should consider for ASO?

Actually I wanna know about the sectors that ASO covers.

Thank you again.

12. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Keywords, categories, icon, screenshots, localisation are all part of ASO.

I would only bother with localisation if your app is successful in other markets.

Your app's screenshots aren't appealing at all to me (i like the characters in the full version better but unsure how they relate).

ASO won't get you millions of downloads, but will at least get you some then you need to hope your game is good enough to "self-market" if you aren't doing an advertising campaign.