10 cent in-app purchases

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ikemike, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Would being able to have in-app purchases of a minimum of 10 cents and being able to have paid DLC in 10 cent increments be a good or bad thing for a developer? I'm talking about energy-based MMOs and whatnot. It would be really good so people could buy "energy" and stuff as they need it, instead of a huge amount at one time. It'd be easier to impulse-buy too, making it better for developers.

I suppose a positive would be increased 10-cent in-app purchasing by the masses, but they'll won't buy them in more expensive increments often. This could be resolved (sort of), though, by making "bundle" packs have more "energy" per cent type thing.

And would Apple even realistically allow this type of DLC pricing? What about 50 cent minimum?

2. MrRage

MrRage Member

Mar 3, 2009
    No that would just complicate things, and you would make less money.

3. marc-bjango

marc-bjango Active Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Lead Designer & Director at Bjango
    Melbourne, Australia
    If whatever you're selling isn't worth 99c, then it's not worth 10c.

4. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I doubt even the biggest developers would make any money off 10¢ purchases. What can you buy anywhere, in any store, that costs 10¢?

I think $0.99 seems like a lot for DLC because there are full games selling at $0.99 on the app store. It's just an abnormality to see such low prices on the app store, and it's not a sustainable price model.

I'm pretty sure that soon we'll begin seeing $9.99 games on the App store, with its DLC costing $2.99. When that happens, $0.99 for DLC will seem cheap, and $0.99 for a full game will give the impression of a poor title, similar to how nobody would pay much attention to a $0.99 game for the Nintendo DS.

5. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I'm talking about points...

As in, possibly in Eliminate?, 20 cents per 4 credits. It'll make it easier for us to impulse-buy, so more money. Maybe? Maybe not.

6. Komickid

Komickid Member

Oct 17, 2009
    What would you get for that amount of money? I think such low prices could dangerously approach nickel and diming as well. I would definitely not support this.

7. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    It would be nice for eliminate to buy energy with, but as for anything else I don't know. I think most credit cards charge 2% and a 10 cent or so transaction fee to most merchants. If this was the case with Apple they would be losing money by having this. Of course, Apple may have special agreements with CC companies since they are so large.

8. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Each in-app purchase is still a complete real-world money transaction, so going below 70-99 cents is not really possible for Apple. Games are compensating that fact by letting you buy "in-app" currency, for Eliminate that would be the energy charge or shells.