How do you explain games that are eternally parked in the Appstore?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kartel, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    So strange that in a market of new games pouring in literally every day, some games just won't leave the top 100 or even 20.

Pocket God
    Angry Birds
    Flight Control
    Doodle Jump
    Bejeweled 2
    Tiger Woods Gold (from 2009)
    Need For Speed Undercover (lasted more than Shift even!)

What is it? Advertising? Look of the icon?

2. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    awesomeness of the app?? strong fan base???? lots of publicity???? luck??? reviews??? Who knows.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    In this order:

Good idea -> Luck -> Fanbase -> "Snowball" effect -> Boom. :cool:

4. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I have no idea why Angry Birds is up there (personally only found the game so-so, 6/10 level), but the rest are all pioneers of their corresponding genre for the iDevice, and set the mark for a bunch of copycats to follow.

5. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    well for Pocket God, Angry Birds, and Doodle Jump they get a bunch of updates

6. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I thought Angry Birds sucked. I love Doodle Jump though.

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    You iz weirdo.

8. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Ive wondered this too. Arent we getting near the point where everyone who wants the games has it?

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Those games benefit from the "new device effect." Apple sells a ton of iPhones/iPad touches every day -- millions every week. Whenever someone unpacks their shinny new toy and clicks on App Store icon, they often either: 1) buy the games that they saw on their friend's devices; or 2) pick something from the Top 10 list. It's a feedback loop that benefit of the games that are already popular.

That's my guess, anyway.

10. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    That's...a really good theory. The question is, how did the games get into the top 25 in the first place? I think that most of the early sales that make a game popular come from either people who know the developer, people who are fans of the developer, people who see the app rated highly, and people who stumble upon it by random chance and are impressed by the screenshots and user reviews. When all of these types of buyers band together and buy the game around the same time, it will jump to the top 25 in no time. Now it's up to the "new device" people to keep it there.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Like squarezero said, new buyers would obviously look at the top charts first and start off buying games from there. Therefore, the top 10 is very inelastic most times, especially if the game in question is 0.99.

Also, new buyers tend to buy titles they are familiar with: tetris, bejewled, etc.

12. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    i really enjoyed NFS undercover. dunno why its getting a bad-ish reputation tho

13. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    Doodle Jump's spot in the App Store is well-deserved.

And since the games in the Top 25 are usually popular, cheap, and addictive, people will keep purchasing them and keeping them in their spots.

14. jackgreen

jackgreen Active Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I think that whatever the reason is, why the game gets into top 20, it says in top 100 long time. Self-generated awareness.

15. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Pocket God? They USED to get a lot of updates. Now there coming monthly. I don't think it deserves to be there.

But then again, not a lot of those games update a lot either so I guess I should be grateful..