The 7th Guest!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DavidLeblond, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DavidLeblond

DavidLeblond Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Ohmygod ohmygod... I remember playing this game back when I was a little kid, late at night on our first PC with a CD-ROM player (it's the reason I insisted my parents get one with a CD-ROM player in fact.) I even got a new video card at the flea market in order to play it better (to get more video memory.)

Trilobyte games suddenly got active on their Facebook page hinting that they were coming back! First with a 7th Guest iPhone/iPad app! I mentioned it on twitter and they started talking to me on there too! Beyond excited!

http://twitter.com/trilobytegames

2. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Holy gibbering ****!

My god, this is the best news I've heard in years. Not only that, they're planning for the 11th Hour as well (which TBH sucked, but I still have really fond memories of it), as well as the possibility of revisiting 7th Guest III: The Collector if 7th Guest and 11th Hour sell well.

Man... I am so psyched for this. They're saying holiday season as well, so we might be seeing this in just a bit over a month. This is awesome.

3. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    I agree, 11th Hour didn't hold a candle to 7th Guest. But I'll still get it to support them! The puzzles were still nice, if I remember correctly.

It'll be nice playing it without having to play the "what devices do I have to shift to High Memory" game first.

4. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, no doubt. I was actually recently fiddling around with trying to play 7th Guest on the iPhone through iDos, which brought back those old memories nice and clearly.

And yeah, the FMV in 11th Hour sucked, the fetch quests were incredibly annoying, but the puzzles were still pretty fun, and walking around the mansion still looked awesome.

I just really love the music/atmosphere from both of those games (even if the actual "game" in the 2nd one wasn't great). It'll be great to be able to revisit them whenever I want on my phone. I really hope they do well enough to give Trilobyte the chance to make "The Collector" as well. I'd love to see the 7th Guest story continue.

Man oh man. Honestly, this is an announcement I've been waiting for/hoping for ever since I started gaming on iDevices.

5. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
  6. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I'll be watching with baited breath to see how this turns out.

A couple of things I'm concerned about, I remember reading in an interview with Rob or Graeme (quite some time ago mind you) when the topic of discussion was an HD remake of the 7th Guest. In that discussion I remember one of them stating that the original filmed/FMV elements had been lost ages ago.. I wonder if that means they'll be re-doing everything or (hope not) replacing the FMV ghosts with CGI.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be able to do something with the assets they do have to keep the iPhone port true to the original.

We shall see though.

7. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    #7 DavidLeblond, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Good question. I asked their twitter guy, not sure if he'd be allowed to comment or not. My guess is they used the game assets from the original though. They wrote the engine twice (one DOS and one Windows Direct X based) so writing it a third time wouldn't be a stretch. And certainly wouldn't break the budget (which I'm guessing is next to 0.)

EDIT: Doh, of course the engine also existed for whatever other platforms it was on. CD-I anyone?

8. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    :) Actually, I asked him too, and the results were positive.

They posted this:

"Pretty much the whole enchilada, with some code optimization here and there to work better with the touchscreen interface."

Sounding better by the minute. They certainly are communicative.

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Holy shit i just jizzed in my pants

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The game is completely awesome and playable in iDOS... So a iOS-native enhanced port can only be more awesome.

11. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    If only I could figure out how to get this working properly. I have the original discs, just couldn't figure out how the "disc switch" from disc 1 to 2 was going to work if I had to use .isos.

12. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    I couldn't figure out how to get it to work in iDOS, although I didn't work on it for too long. I tried to install and it said it didn't have MSCDEX.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Great game, but if I ever heard that "Feeling... Looooonly..?" one more time I'd throw my iPhone against the wall and then stomp on the pieces. :mad:

14. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Never had the chance to play this when it was out as I never had a PC, I read many a review though and stared in awe at the screenshots, this is what I love about my iPhone/iPad, the chance to re visit old classics that have long since been forgotten (usually at a reasonable price too!).

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    WOW!!!
    Unexpected and totally welcomed...can't wait.
    I never finished the original one (broke the disk) but I have fond memories about it.

16. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #16 madsoul, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    I am getting nostalgic goose bumps. One of the most creepy games I have ever played. Made me dream nightmares for weeks when I was little. Stauf was everwhere lol. And I would just buy it to hear the amazing soundtrack by Fatman again, even if I know I can get it on youtube or whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XmSEw4kJ-s

<3 <3

17. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    I had Skeletons in my Closet on a mixtape!

18. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    They announced the price: $3.99. Cost me $60 back in the day.

19. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, I just saw that too. As much as I love getting games on the cheap, I honestly think that price point is a bit low. They could easily go $4.99 - $5.99... Myst started off at $5.99 (is currently $4.99), and I believe it sold pretty well at that price. And I might be alone in this, but honestly I thought 7th Guest was a far better game than Myst.

Normally I wouldn't pipe up about price like this, but if the release of 11th Hour (and possibly "The Collector") hinges on the success of 7th Guest, I really want this app to do as well as it possibly can.

20. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    I am definitely excited about this re-release! I played this game when I was young on our family's first PC back in 1996 and I was creeped out by some of the puzzles etc. I remember going down this sink or something in the bathroom and a video played with some freaky spiders crawling up the sink...urgh...

Trilobyte's resurrection may indeed lead to the 11th hour if this re-release sells well!