Games designed for the iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thewiirocks, Jan 2, 2011.

1. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Ok, here's a stupid question: Are there any games designed ONLY for the iPad?

As I wait for Apple to approve my game (see sig), I was thinking about the fact that I chose the iPad for its larger screen. The number of things the player has to track along with the need for large controls made the game a poor fit for the iPhone. Thus I didn't even consider porting the game until the iPad came out.

Yet looking over the games on the market, it doesn't seem that developers have really focused on taking advantage of the platform. Nearly every iPad game I look at is either Universal or has an iPhone counterpart.

While the reasons are obvious (more customers == greater revenue), the larger screen offers a lot of potential for detailed interfaces that simply wouldn't be practical on the iPhone's screen. (e.g. RTSes need a lot of screen real-estate. Board games can be more like the real thing. Simulations can provide detailed stats in real-time. etc.) It seems like a really good iPad-only game has an opportunity to shine.

As I type this, I can think of exactly two:

1. World of Goo
    2. BioDefense HD

Both of those are surprisingly good examples of how the iPad can shine over the iPhone's smaller screen size. Can anyone think of other iPad-only games?

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes there are plenty of games designed only for the Ipad. But in my opinion it would make more sense tom make a Universal app.

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    All HD games. :D

4. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Such as?

5. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    What's the old saying? Ask a stupid question... :p

6. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
  7. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

"Caveman's Quest HD" is iPad only and there is no iPod/iPhone version.

"Eden's Quest" was iPad only; it seems to have gone from the store now but the lite version is there and it is Ipad only.

"Asteroids HD" doesn't have an iPod/iPhone version. Neither does Pentris and a couple of other games by the same dev.

It's hard to think of any others that are unique to the iPad (i.e. not universal or just HD versions of iPhone games). Looking at a list of iPad apps on Appshopper (or anywhere else) just proves this.

"Robokill" was originally iPad only. There is now an iPhone versione. It is not Universal.

"Osmos for iPad" - again, there's a different version for iPad and iPod/iPhone. Same with "Journey of Fortune - Dragon's Fire".

8. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    You can also go to Appshopper.com and search for all iPad games: new,price changes, all, etc

9. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have mentioned that already. Scroll up.

10. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Technologically yes, But there is a IPhone version.

11. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #11 thewiirocks, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    Those are some good examples. Thanks PlanetShooter! :)

Still, it seems like there's not a ton of support. There are nicer upscalings of iPhone games, but for all the iPad-only examples you mentioned, I've never heard of the first two before. (Which is too bad, actually. I'm going to have to check out Caveman's Quest!) I'm kind of sad that there is only one AAA title (World of Goo) that's iPad only.

@To the rest of you, I think you're missing the point. I'm not asking if iPad software exists. I'm asking if software exists for the iPad where no iPhone/iPod counterpart exists. The assumption I'm making is that iPad-only games would take advantage of the iPad in ways that are impractical or impossible on the iPhone.

So to clarify, http://appshopper.com/ipad/games/ is the WRONG ANSWER. Thanks for trying, though. :)

12. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
  13. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Biodefense has an iPhone counterpart.

14. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    You're right. I'm completely blind. Sorry, 'bout that. Scratch one off the list! :(

15. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

We have our game TwisTouch designed only for iPAD but finally we created iphone levels and put it universal. I think that it was a bad decision because the iphone version are doing a negative impact in the game rating of the iPad version.

16. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

Not all games labeled "HD" are exclusive to the iPad, mind you. They may not be universal, but they have iPhone/iPod counterparts. Example: Cut the Rope HD, Word With Friends HD, Labyrinth 2 HD, etc. All that have versions for the iPad, and a version for the iPhone.
    HOWEVER, one game I love that's JUST for the iPad is Tap Tap Radiation. It's amazing! :)