Rejected App moves to "In Review" instead of "Waiting..." Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TinyTechnician, Mar 14, 2011.

1. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Hello-

I submitted an update awhile ago and it took the usual amount of time to get to the "In Review" state (8 days or so). After being "In Review" for a day it was rejected...totally my fault, left a background mode setting in my Info.plist that should have been removed due to a different approach I took. Anyways, I removed the setting and resubmitted and the Update went immediately back to the "In Review" state.

I'm just wondering if this is normal? Or if I'm secretly really in the "Waiting for Review" state (in which case it'll take a good 8+ days or so for the update to come out). I've had a rejection before, long time ago for another App, and I don't remember moving directly to the "In Review" state.

If any devs who have recently been rejected and resubmitted have any info that would be awesome.

2. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

It definitely should be faster (3 days) that is our experience.

3. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Hi TinyTechnician

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm yet to submit, though I'm only days away from doing so.

If you don't mind I can only guess that the reviewer was unable to edit/remove the obsolete setting entry, and only you the submitter may do so. If that's the only reason for rejection then it sounds like you'll be live in no time.

4. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Hey blitter-

Yeah, the issue was in the Info.plist which is a compiled asset. Anything compiled has to be changed on the dev's side.

I have submitted an update before in which I included "Game Center" in the keyword list (since I was adding GC for the update). The reviewer said this was not allowed and simply changed it on their end before approving the update (no rejection or resubmission on my part). So the Apple Review team does indeed work with developers to make the review process as quick as possible. Probably better to make the change on their end, if they can, than reject and just have to review the whole update again.

Submitted the revision late Saturday night so this is the end of Day 2 and still "In Review". Fingers crossed tomorrow is the day.

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Hey, same thing happened to me. App was rejected. Uploaded simple fix like update. Went into "in review" within a minute of uploading the fix. That was on March 7th and it is still "in review."

6. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Oh man, that's what I'm fearing. That it says "In Review" but secretly I'm in some kind of "Waiting for Review" state. Good luck, hope you move through the review process...and I guess I'll find out soon enough as the days go by :-/

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Perhaps I should mention that my app is more complicated than usual and it was "in review" for about 4 days before the resubmission so the delay might be unrelated. I have no idea. 7 days does seem like a long time to be "in review," however.

I just sent a message to my reviewer asking if there is anything I can do to help.

8. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    OK, I'm calling this...

The App must move to some hidden "Waiting for Review" state after getting rejected and then resubmitted.

My reasoning being...it took Apple 1 day to review my app and find something wrong with it (bad setting in Info.plist file). It is now 5+ days in the "In Review" state after resubmitting. I'm pretty sure if it took Apple 1 day to review my App originally that it wouldn't take 5+ days to review it all over again...especially since the difference between the two versions were simply that one setting.

So I'm calling it...there is some ghost "Waiting for Review" state when devs automatically move to the "In Review" state after resubmitting their App (on a rejection).

I'm not complaining here just giving my info for other devs. My mistake on the submission...gotta wait my turn now :)

9. trtwn

trtwn New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Has your app been approved by now?
    I also had an app that was rejected and instantly went from "Waiting for Review" to "In Review" and is in that state since April, 14th (7 days and counting).

10. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    We had a bug in our update submission and we put the new build in the same day with a fix. Apple reviewed it same day and it was approved within hours. It seems like simple fixes for apps that have already been through review get expedited and out quicker.

11. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Yeah, most likely you were flagged as needing to fix that one thing so that's all they need to look for.

12. trtwn

trtwn New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    I fixed the issue and uploaded the new binary just a few hours after my app got rejected, but it's still in review since then. I sent a mail to the app review team and asked if there's anything I could assist them with, but haven't heard back, yet.

13. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'm sure it also depends on what's in front of you in the queue they have. You're no longer waiting, but you're still not first.

Then again, who the heck knows :p

14. trtwn

trtwn New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    I guess that about sums it up.

[​IMG]

15. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Mine was approved 7 days later. So essentially it was "In Review" for 7 days after I submitted the fix. My guess was that it was actually "Waiting For Review" for the majority of that time though.

Everyone seems to have different results...so really it's all Apple Magic Time if you ask me ;)

16. trtwn

trtwn New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    It has just been reviewed and approved! :)

As a little thank you for making the waiting time a little shorter, here are a few promo codes if you care to have a look at my app GetUp (it's not a game, though):
    9APTPNEKWMXY
    LRAMKLF76YHW
    N6HPL4N9N73M
    KAM9MHM7WMXP
    TFAWMMAELLHP