Universal Monsters! (Lovecraft themed monster hunting)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LCDDreams, Apr 28, 2017.

1. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #1 LCDDreams, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Hey everyone
    We've been silent for quite a while! A lot has happened since last we posted. Unfortunately, we had to shelve our last effort, EMO, due to a number of issues. That was a REALLY tough decision, believe me, but it was just draining too many resources.

The good news is that we've become leaner and meaner! Namely, that "we" is now "me." I'm doing all the heavy lifting now and not relying on others (which was a large part of the problem). And as a result, I'm pleased to announce I have a new game!

This game will be produced in multiple stages. The first stage is a very simple turn based monster hunting/bashing game, easy enough for anyone to pick up but with three difficulty levels to provide a good challenge for most player levels. Simple leaderboards as well for those with the constant urge to get the highest score.

The current version is web based, so you can play it on both desktop and mobile (however there's currently an issue with some audio not playing on iOS Safari), but I'm hoping to port it to mobile (using emulation) to sell on the iOS and Android app stores. Art is 2D tiles (created by yours truly, and as such probably will be replaced in future stages, if I can find a really good artist willing to spare some time), and the theme is directly based on HP Lovecraft's incredible mythos. I've been working on making the game dark, moody, and suspenseful.

This version of the game is called simply Monsters! It's not a final name though. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Play Monsters!

Future versions of this stage will likely add things like special items to find that affect gameplay, multiple levels, and randomized maps (ie. walls, etc.).

Ultimately, I'm looking to turn this game into an online multiplayer party based RPG (not MMO, but rather the kind of game you'd play with a couple friends). The Lovecraft theme will remain, but the rest may be very different from this version - time will tell. That's a bit in the future though...

Finally, the game is free! This web based version at this stage will always be free. If the mobile emulation works out, I'll likely charge $1 (and then increase the price as more features get added). Hope you enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    So what would you like to see next? Randomized dungeon levels? Multiple levels? Other goals, items, things to interact with? Character skills? Something else? I'm planning on having all of these in the game eventually, just trying to figure out a development plan.

3. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Have a great update coming soon - the first step in turning the game into a RPG! The update will add the first two tasks to complete and an item to find as well as randomized dungeons!

4. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Game has been updated!

For the next major update, looking at adding player sanity and multiple dungeon levels. :)

5. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Here's a new screenshot showing the randomized dungeon (ie. no longer empty), added inventory and tasks panels, and Elder Sign item to find.

Attached Files:

6. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Another update! Now you must avoid going insane - every encounter with a creature brings you closer to madness!

7. D4rkwolf

D4rkwolf Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Student
    In a house ^^
    Nice, reminds me of really early games like Ultima; a group MP component would be neat, like the Old MUD/MUCK from the '90s. when it's more fleshed out I can easily see paying for it...it's pretty neat man!

8. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    So I'm a big fan of the Fantasy Flight Lovecraft board games. From what I saw playing what you have so far, you seem to be at least somewhat influenced by similar games. I'd consider what make those game enjoyable. You don't need the best graphics, but the static man moving around was distracting. I'd consider just a round icon with a face or image to represent the player. This would allow you to give the game a more board game feel, and more easily introduce multiple playable characters, perhaps with different stats/abilities, perhaps just for asthetics. Maybe consider something similar with the monsters.

The characters need more options. Weapons ranging from melee to firearms, to limited use would go a long way to introducing some customization. Maybe some creatures could be more vulnerable to certain weapons? Heck, if all weapons had limited use and had a rock/paper/scissors effectiveness on different monsters, you could use limited inventory space to force players to make tough calls with what they keep and leave behind, having to consider what threats they might most likely face.

9. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #9 LCDDreams, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    D4rkwolf, thanks! Yes, games like Ultima, Sword of Fargoal (#2 finally reached beta this week!), and even D+D and Baldur's Gate had influences on the development of this game.

And Maelwolf, yes, the FF and other similar board games have also had some influence. As I mentioned in the first post, the graphics aren't necessarily final - they're good enough for now for me (and as I also mentioned, if anyone is interested in contributing on the art side, I'd love to hear from them). I'm more focused on developing the functionality/features right now. And in that regard, yes, everything you mentioned is being considered! Even beyond weapons, I'm also thinking about mystic and academic "skills" as part of the game for the future - basically a non-high-fantasy version of D+D's wizards, clerics, etc. The Elder Sign is the first example of that.

The game is still in its infancy - I have a LOT of ideas and plans for it :D
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out guys!

10. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #10 LCDDreams, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    By the way, if you haven't already, go get Rogue Wizards - an excellent turn based RPG! A number of similarities with my game and where I want to take it.

11. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Been going through name ideas for the full version of the game. The name can't have been used already for another game or other visual media (to avoid legal/copyright issues) and of course needs to convey the theme of the game.
    Ideas so far (approximately most to least favorite):

Fear of the Unknown
    In Dreams We Fear
    Madness Eternal
    Insania Aeternam (Latin for the above)
    The Birth of Fear
    Tales of Insanity
    Lurking Doom
    Investigating Madness

Open to other ideas!

12. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Big update today!

The dungeon now has three levels, each randomized separately. You can freely move between them (they don't get re-randomized when you go back), and item, stairs, and monster positions are saved.

This will likely be the last big update before I move the game more into the RPG genre - then I'll be giving it a new name, lots of new features, a story, etc. I'll make a new thread once that happens.

13. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Working on the mobile version now - hope to have it ready in the next couple weeks.
    If anyone wants to beta test, and you have a device other than an iPhone 6 or iPad Pro (first gen), let me know. If you have an Android device, even better.

14. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    New Monsters! Facebook page :)

The iOS version is nearly done - going to try to submit to the iOS app store this weekend!

And here's new title screen art:
    title-art.jpg

15. KyConno

KyConno New Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It looks creepy. Love it!

16. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks!

And I just submitted the game to the app store!
    <crossing fingers>

17. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I'm looking but can't find it yet.

18. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Just submitted. It'll be a few days to a week for it to be approved and appear on the store. I'll post again when it's up!

19. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #19 LCDDreams, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Lovecraft: Monsters! is now on the app store!

Lovecraft: Monsters! by LCD Dreams, Inc.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lovecraft-monsters/id1278716292?mt=8

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=4048453#post4048453

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701