How could I start developing for the iPod Touch/iPhone

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by saintsalive, Oct 6, 2009.

1. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    Hi, I really want to start developing for the iPhone/iPod touch but I have a few problems...

1. I have a windows system, Windows Vista
    2. I don't have the money to get any kind of expensive program or Mac

How do you suggest I start developing?

Thanks!

saints

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Well there isn't really an easy answer to your question. You could try to do a google on the term "hackintosh" for starters, although, be warned this is somewhat dubious in legal terms as well as not exactly easy to set up. I guess you could try something like game-sallad but you'd still need the mac to hook things up with your iPhone/iPod.

If you're a complete beginner(?) I'd advise against starting off with iPhone development anyway. You should probably look into starting off with C. You can do this for free and it will get you acquainted with the wonderful world of programming and teach you the syntax that's sort of the granddad of a lot of the world's most popular programming-languages...

3. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You don't need any expensive programs or expensive Macs - just a cheap Mac: http://www.apple.com/macmini/

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm lucky my wife has a macbook she doesn't use anymore, thats what I'll be developing on.

5. saintsalive

Apr 2, 2009
    Pygmy Island
    Thanks guys! I probably won't be starting development anytime soon because of the Windows situation and the fact I don't have much time to learn any complex programming languages :(

6. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Did you and Sparks get into another fight and separate again?

7. saintsalive

Apr 2, 2009
    Pygmy Island
    No, I just wanna learn how to make my own games.

8. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    guys dont put him down so easily because he's a beginner, he made a great computer game ALL BY HIMSELF which is actually the game he wants to put on iphone, and saints just do some chores, sell some things and save up for a cheap, working macbook

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Link to the game?

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Yeah, save up. You can get an adequate Intel Mac Mini off ebay for a few hundred dollars.

In the mean time, if you're desperate to code and it must be for the iPhone but using a Windows machine, you can learn to code a javascript web game. You'll be able to learn the basics of designing and developing a game, it will also be completely free for you to make, and, more importantly, people will be able to play it on their iPhones.

Learning Javascript will teach you most of the fundamentals you'll need to learn for coding on the iPhone. I'm sure many devs on these forums started with Javascript. Then when you finally get your Mac, you can transition to more complicated programming under the official SDK.

11. saintsalive

Apr 2, 2009
    Pygmy Island
    It's gonna be something you have to pay for on the Internet. But It's been a ton of work, and I love programming for the computer. Here's a link to my profile on Yoyogames for some proof: http://www.yoyogames.com/members/saintsalive You can play some of my games on there, such as Blob Civilization and Tofu Toss. I just want to take my programming to the next level.

12. saintsalive

Apr 2, 2009
    Pygmy Island
    That's WAY too expensive for me. I mean, like I need a cheap kind-of solution. Like, $10 cheap.

I could try javascript, are there any specific programs I need to install to start?

13. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    A few hundred dollars sounds expensive when you have no money ;)
    Even if you're not yet old enough to get a part time job, people always want things doing around the home. Heck, if you came and knocked on our door we'd easily give you $20 to rake our leaves and clean the gutters. Do ten houses and you'll have enough for a Mac mini. When I was 12 I was working 7 days a week, 364 days a year getting up at 6am to deliver newspapers before school, and I was only earning $1 per hour, but that added up over time.

As for javascript coding, you only need a web browser. I found a nice little tutorial on making a simple platformer game: http://www.brighthub.com/hubfolio/matthew-casperson/blog/archive/2009/06/29/game-development-with-javascript-and-the-canvas-element.aspx

You can demo the game by clicking here: http://webdemos.sourceforge.net/jsplatformer/jsplatformer12.html

I tested the demo on my iPod touch and it certainly runs, but you'll need to amend the controls so it can be played properly on an iPhone/iPod touch.

Good luck! I'll be interested to play it! :)

14. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    With the new CS5, why not make flash games to run on the iPhone and export it? You need AS3 though, but I'm pretty sure you know it, I've seen your pocket god game, real good. :)

You can even get Flash CS5 Beta for free, it's about to be announced later in the year.

15. debugdesign

debugdesign Well-Known Member

Appcelerator might help!

you could also try Appcelerator as this only requires you to know web technology such as java and html.

Plus it exports to iphone and Android

very cool!

16. saintsalive

Apr 2, 2009
    Pygmy Island
    Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna try and learn how to use Appcelerator as it looks like a good program.

Actually, I don't know flash, I use a program called Game Maker.

17. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Wait for flash cs5.

It will have iPhone developing in action script 3.0.

18. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I think it would be counter-productive to begin learning Flash coding now if the ultimate goal is to work with the iPhone SDK.

Granted, you could make the same argument about the javascript tutorial I posted… although javascript coding and distribution has the advantage of being free.

19. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

#19 NickFalk, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    Not to mention the fact that he's short on cash. Adobe's software isn't exactly free...

20. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Hehe… it's even more expensive than it would be getting a Mac Mini!