Closest thing to Pokemon on iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hawks12thman, May 26, 2009.

1. T-jayy

T-jayy Member

May 21, 2009
    id say get an emulator on your ipod.

2. LOZLINK

LOZLINK Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Meh, gpsphone works perfectly for pokemon.

3. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Sorry for the thread necromancy.

I've been wondering about creating a pet-monster game for the iPhone, but precisely this issue you mentioned is the big question we need answer before starting anything. A pokémon-scale story and a number of monsters/attacks is simply not feasible.
    My current draft has 21 monsters and some tamagotchi-like features, but I'm suspecting that it may not be sufficient even for a first game (if it is successful we could easily make a bigger game later).

I'd love some feedback on what you'd want to see in a pet-monster game. :)

We're currently 3 people on the company by the way. An 3d/2d artist, a programmer and a sound artist. 151 monsters, a long plotline tons of balanced attacks, minigames, I'm afraid thats not feasible for us (or the other 98% of those developing for the iPhone :p)

4. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    jailbreak ur device and install gpSPhone and download the pokemon ROMs and u can play real pokemon on a emulator

5. shadow-blade

shadow-blade New Member

Feb 7, 2011
    There is a game like Pokemon...

there is a game for ipod similar to pokemon, but you don't really move around a lot. it's called pocket summoner, and you do quests to gain experience. along the way, you can defeat wild spirits, and they may sometimes drop an orb. you go to a store, and with gold received from quests, you can get that spirit. you train that spirit in level using gold, but the limit is whatever your rank is. (rank = level) when you level a spirit up, you get ten SP (skill points) to add to the traits (attack, defense, sp. attack, sp. defense, speed, and intuition) also, spirits can have 3-4+ moves, based on you training for that move. there are weakness/resistance types, and different spirits have different body types (there's water, fire, poison, wind, ground, grass, normal, dark, electric, and magic) this game is also free! i like it a lot, it's pretty fun. but you do have to wait for quest points to refill

6. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'll be checking it out shortly. If there already is a pokémon-esque game out there I don't see why we should further oversaturate the iPhone market by adding another :p

Thanks

7. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Maybe if we're unlucky enough, Gameloft will port their cruddy DSiWare game Crystal Monsters to the iPhone.

8. Jocklyn

Jocklyn New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Suggestions

Hey,

Just want you to know that don't give up cos so many people are waiting for a game like this. Even though there are a few out right now, but they don't capture everything we've been searching for.
    Things I think that should be incorporated into your game is:
    - evolutionary stages of each monster 2 to 3 just like pokemon and digimon
    - battling between other players over the net with your monster or monsters. This is one of the best features, interacting with friends or other players, just like the classic rectangle digimon with 3 buttons. Classic, simple but
    Effective and was a huge hit.
    - maximum of 4 abilities at a time just like pokemon or it becomes a little convoluted so new abilities will replace old ones
    - provide a little animation upon attack
    - elemental creatures dealing with strengths and weaknesses namely (fire, water/ice, plant/grass, psychic, spirit/ghost, electric) don't do too many though... Because when there are like 20 different types... That also confuses the hell out of the player when they're struggling to remember the elements which are effective against another.
    - u don't have to make 150, even 100 would be great. but each one should be original and not overdone with the designs... Like pokemon the first 150, which were great until it hit a few later which got into designs that starte to look like transformers..
    - incorporate the tamagotchi idea, so even if people don't battle, they have a virtual pet. And maybe have 5 pet teams.
    - allow breeding of the monsters, egg and hatch time but only between same species..
    - allow maximum levels of 100 or so..

Well all in all, that's the sort of things that i personally want from the game.
    And a lot of people also posted about such things. U Shud check out the other games and see where they have failed and win over them.
    I found a few cos I've been looking for a game like this...
    - geomon
    - geomonsters
    - mydinos go
    - imon lod

9. Jocklyn

Jocklyn New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Please make ittt.

10. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    #30 RedMattis, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    Sorry, it unlikely that we will be finishing this game. We did get a few weeks into the project though. It was going to be a Pokémon-esque game with 3D battles and a breed/mixing system.
    It is possible that we might have included some Digimon-like pet-care features.

When the project was active we were going for a bit of a pokémon/digimon style mix of monsters, so some of the were slightly humanoid, others basically balls with legs, and if you scroll back a page or so in the blog you'll see a few images of the creatures we finished during the development process*.
    http://sharkmissilewest.tumblr.com/page/2

Nowadays we're working on a game that could be described roughly as Gary's Mod meets Minecraft meets Oblivion in a sandbox format.
    The game we're currently working on is called No Sanctuary if you want to read through the tagged posts*.

*everything very much work in progress, it is a development blog after all not the game's homepage

Edit: Fortunately there might actually be an official pokémon game coming to the iPhone, or so the current rumor in the indie game development scene goes. :)

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Hmm? do you have a source on this?

12. V3RMILLION

V3RMILLION Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Wow. Don't say stupid things like that. That's how ridiculous rumors start.

13. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    1)Why would the indie game development scene have information from Nintendo?
    2)Nintendo has their own portable system. They have no interest in releasing an official pokemon game on the iPhone. Don't start rumors for the sake of starting rumors.

14. Jocklyn

Jocklyn New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Ur game looks like runescape. Lol minecraft wud be okay

15. Raro

Raro Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    NZ
    Pretty much this. If Nintendo released Pokemon games on iOS devices, half of their profits would go down the drain. The Pokemon franchise is on of the main factos which brings people to buying Nintendo's handheld consoles, and if they could be found on another device then even more people would stray and buy iPod instead of 3DS'

Anyway, good luck with your game! (@the other people)

16. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    If I actually had a source on this I could get in trouble. ;)

That said, a couple of companies around here have been working with Nintendo, so it is possible that they've been discussing something a bit to loudly in the cafeteria.
    Also for all i know the original rumor might have been 'Nintendo is planning to release an old pokémon classic' for the iPhone, which would hardly "cut their profits in half", something I doubt would happen even if they started releasing new Pokémon games for the iPhone on the occasion.

But on the other hand the rumor could be pretty old, and I haven't heard anything since. I'm just not a huge fan of the idea of ending up with competition from a multimillion giant like Nintendo with their 'rather' well established product'? :rolleyes:

17. V3RMILLION

V3RMILLION Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2011
    What company around here has been working with Nintendo?

18. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Or a titles made for a Nintendo console, I frankly don't know.
    I assume that someone had simply kept up with the news from Nintendo and heard a rumor which they considered somewhat credible, not something outrageous like Nintendo employees leaking news of future games to small time game developers.

Though if there aren't any rumors of that nature and some credibility circulating the web then I for one would assume that the rumor is false.
    Since we're not planning on developing a pokémon-esque game anymore you'll have to investigate the rumors yourselves though. I've got other things to keep an eye on. *cough* Terraria *cough* Minecraft *cough* everything else vaguely similar *cough* *cough* must have gotten the cold. :D

19. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    All I see is you trying to get attention. None of what you've said in your past 3 posts in this thread are at ALL true.

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Geo society is the closest so far