First person 2D games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Primoz, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    @Timobrow - I didn't shoot down any "War commando" game. Please show me a screenshot or something so I can see it.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is what i said earlier.

Technically, as the first person character, you are looking at a playing field in a different plane. It's like you in front of a TV. The TV pictures are in 2D (X and Y plane, which is basically your height and width), and the inclusion of you in the dimension makes it more than just a flat plane (the Z, which exists outside of the X-Y dimension, the depth between you and the TV). Since there is an existence of depth or distance between you and the TV's own 2D plane, from your point of view, it will then be considered 3D.

Oh well... This thread's getting ridiculous to me. Im done here.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #43 MidianGTX, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Can't walk/fly around in this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, but that's being stupid. You could say any 2D image is 3D as long as there's somebody there to view it. The mere fact they're looking at it adds a third dimension that doesn't exist when the picture isn't being viewed. This is all just philosophical BS and the entire point of assigning terminology to things like this is to avoid the BS.

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Stop it. I'm looking for 2D graphics and it's pretty damn easy to determine whether or not a game has 2D graphics, in most cases anyway. I'm looking for 2D graphics and not your philosophic theories.

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Pretty weird conversation.

So apparently, a game made in a 3D engine, let's say a shooter, where you shoot at people made to look like they are made of flat cardboard is a 2D game whereas a game made in a 2D engine which basically does the same thing but tries to hide it with different sized cardboard figures and tricks with the color palette is 3D? Therefore the distinction between 2D and 3D is which dimension the developer was trying to create the illusion of to spite the actual format rather than the actual format.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Wait, forgot ask this. So you consider Quest Lord a 3D game?

7. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Alright, I must have misread/misinterpreted. My bad.
    But,, if you go to the beginning of the thread, someone suggests Gun Commando and you say it's 3D. That's just to defend my point.

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #48 Primoz, Sep 17, 2013
    What is the point you're trying to make?

Anyway, I don't see how some people can even think that this is anything else than a 3D game:

9. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Year Walk has depth through layers and walking forward to the next layer. I'm not sure it's possible to have a 2d first person game where you can move around other than maybe a very basic adventure game like Transylvania Adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id337021492?mt=8

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #50 drelbs, Sep 17, 2013
    Had to think long and carefully before answering this thread. ;)

A true first-person-perspective 2D where the character is moveable would be Flatland. (There's a nifty flatland game on Desura, but it's a top-down view.)

The Operation Wolf game on iOS is Operation WOW.

Wolf 3D is a 3D game that runs using trickery off of a 2D game engine. (i.e. there's no up and down despite what is shown visually...)

Undercroft is a 3D game using 2D graphics, a full 3D representation would be The Quest. (Well, almost - the character sprites are still 2D. :p) Neither game has up/down movement in the traditional sense, but they both have more than one 'layer' of visuals. I don't know if their maps are stored as 3D or as 2D with 'teleportation.' QuestLord fits in here as well. Older games like The Bards Tale 1-3 truly have only one 'layer' of visuals.

Alien Storm is a mix - it's mostly a 2D sidescroller (with some depth) the shooting is more of a bonus stage.

So what does that leave us? Games like Myst or The Manhole are pretty much there, but your character doesn't 'move' in the sense that I'm imagining here. What I'm thinking of is something like the old Jurassic Park for Sega CD which is built out of sliding 360 panorama screens which you interact with (like if you stood in one spot and rotated around.) A really nifty old game if you can find it (and get it running.)

EDIT: I knew I'd forget something. Interceptor is another 3D game using 2D graphics - you can raise/lower the helicopter, rotate it and move forward and backwards...

11. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I give up.

12. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    That jurrasic park game looks cool.
    But yeah, this pretty much leaves iWolf and adventure games here.

13. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Year Walk (the exploring part) is considered a game with 2D graphics and 2D gameplay by everyone... Even by devs themselves. But it was indeed done in a 3D engine (Unity 3D). However the engine does not play a role anywmore in determining whether a game is 3D or not. A ton of 2D games are done in 3D engines. And should, according to you, be put into the "3D games folder".

Transylvania Adventure is not the kind of game I'm looking for in this thread, but it does look pretty cool and it seems like it has some depth to it. Is it any good? 5$ seems pretty expensive though... However I'm willing to buy it if it's any good and offers a good amount of play time.

Agreed, thanks for that post drelbs. That's the kind of replies I was hoping to get and not some philosophic theories that this thread turned into.

14. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    He pretty much did all I could figure.
    Aw well.

15. wly_cdgr

wly_cdgr New Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I'm working on a first-person 2D game called POV for a school project at the NYU Game Center. To clarify, it's a game that confines the player's movement AND view to a horizontal plane. To make the space navigable/nice-looking, I show a normal screen height's worth of the same infinitely thin line that contains all the visual data.

Let me tell you, making this be fun is proving to be a doozy.