Universal Another World - 20th Anniversary (By Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Sep 21, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why does the ZX Spectrum version of many games only take 48k ?

Seriously it just depends on the media, on the SNES i'm sure they had to be a certain size, on iOS it doesnt matter so much. As the initial text says you can have the original graphics or swipe with two fingers for new improved graphics so that obviously ramps up the filesize.

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://wireless.ign.com/articles/119/1195672p1.html

3. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Figures right after I scour the web tweekin a homebrew version for the NDS to find the dat audio files!! Either way mucho epic game ....worth the money ... But it will give you a challenge like a swift kick to the rectum....:p

4. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I remember this, along with Flashback on the Amiga.

Flashback was disappointing on iOS due to controls so I hope this is better. Will pick up though.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Because they could write code direct for the system as opposed to including tens of libraries, support for multiple devices/resolutions/etc. Icon art, IPA file structure, there's lots of extra overhead in an App that the earlier versions didn't have to contend with.

I remember the PC version I bought waaaay back fit on a 1.44MB floppy. That's smaller than a single HD photo taken with my iPhone4.

I bet you they cleaned up/used higher quality audio samples for this version as well, not to mention higher resolution graphics. If they're using recorded instead of generated music, there's more space too. I bet you the SegaCD version of the game is larger (including redbook audio tracks) than this. ;) (and it's got the sequel as well! :D)

6. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA

Haha watched this just yesterday and was thinking of playing this again. Perfect timing! Think I might pick up a pc version though. virtual controls for a game that requires hell lot of precision sounds like a bad thing =/

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    i remember the original drove me up the wall :)

is this more playable ?

8. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    does the game have the copy protection where you needed to use the codex code wheel to start it up!!!!

i love this game, but you can beat it very quickly if you know how to do everything...i still remember most of it its all trial an error...i was 12 or something when it came out.

9. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Very entertaining watching that guy play.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Downloading right now.
    The best game I probably ever played (which I play at least once every year) will be soon in my pocket.
    Unbelievable.

11. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    dont watch that video talk about spoilers LOL thats a complete play through 1 hour... game is really short and if you never played it before you will die ALOT!!!! still an amazing game they so need to put flashback next that would be amazing.

12. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Flashback is already on the app store

13. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    what what what? really? is it as good as this remake tho or just a stupid port?

14. LTronic

LTronic Member

Feb 7, 2009
    NZ
    Flashback is a stupid (and illegal, they did not get the rights to do it) port.

15. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Are you guys also going to release the sequel of this game, Heart of the Alien?

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    It's worth check out "the escapee" if you like this and flashback. It's another similar game.

17. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Flashback on iOS has awful controls. The worst I've ever encountered on the AppStore.
    The original had difficult controls, but you could get used to them, but Flashback for iOS is absolutely horrible.
    Don't waste your money, instead hope the Bulkypix would give Flashback the same treatment as Another World.

18. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I thought the sequel was never released.

19. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Heart of the Alien is the sequel and was released onto the Sega Saturn CD I believe. It is not made by the same guy who made Another world so he does not have the rights to port it to iOS.

Also Flashback looks fine and while the on screen controls are hard to use you can use the game with the icontrolpad or the icade unit.

20. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

#40 Crazy_Possum, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    Blazing blueberry bananaphone! (it's been a long time since I said that!)
    I've wanted to get this game for a while. I'm a sucker for retro adventure games.
    It's out in the US!