SHADOWKEEPER: Eye of the Beholder inspired Dungeon Crawler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kukulcan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    What people can't understand today is what it meant when it happened for the first time. Of course 1st person games are getting better and better producing more visceral experiences all the time.

It is a lot of work and nobody knows how good they will sell, maybe the ones liking DM, EoB, Black Crypt, Captive or The Legacy are jsut a minority and all the others hate the grid based movement.

But should the EoB remake work, we'll think about similar games in horror or SF genre.

2. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Now that he's clarified his meaning, it makes sense.

And I understand the sentiment, because I was there too. Hell, I bought "Necromancer" for the Atari 400 w/paperboy income!! That's how far back I go in this race.

All I'm saying is, when I see a shambling skeleton In a massive, dark crypt with vaulted ceilings (Oblivion), I'm still agape. The magic keeps coming.

So I suggest you get a point of your OWN to strengthen, or at least buttress your remarks about other peoples" ideas with some kind of clarity.

3. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I can see what a fan you were of the old grid based dungeon games so am definately looking forward to your remake or homage to the EoB.I hope it can be a success.

4. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    I'd caution against using the word Beholder in the title of anything with the look and feel of the old game. Beholder is one of the few D&D monsters that WotC outright claims as intellectual property (alongside Illithids and a few others). They have pursued action against tabletop publishers in the past over those two.

5. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, you definitely bring up an excellent point. If this remake isn't directly sanctioned, then the title will probably cause some unwanted legal headaches. Frankly, I'm really shocked that more developers aren't utilizing the mobile platform to reimagine (and resell) their classics. Games like EotB, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, and Lands of Lore bring back loads of great memories for a lot of us, so why would they pass up potential "free" money on guaranteed purchases from this insanely large fan base? At least Bioware is starting to see the light since they will be releasing a remastered Baldur's Gate game on the iPad later this year. Maybe after that blows the roof off sales expectations other developers will follow suit. :)

http://m.kotaku.com/5896565/baldurs-gate-ipad-will-support-multiplayer-cost-less-than-10

6. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks for the warning, it is right now only a working title, another idea was "Eye of the Dungeon Master" ;)

7. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    LOL!! Yeah, I think that will do just fine. :-D

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    How about "Land of the Dungeon Beholder"?

9. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    That might not really fix the "Beholder" problem ;)

10. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Here is a first teaser of the 3D engine Andreas writes. Realtime soft shadows and ambient occlusion, but right now a little on the slow side:

[​IMG]

But it is not yet optimized and btw. movement will still be grid based.

11. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    WOW! This looks incredible!! Looking forward to seeing more screenshots!!

12. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Next step will be a movie with the light moving. And a new name. And actually a game of our own instead of remaking the original as closely as legally possible.

13. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Glad that its still to be grid based,keep the updates coming thanks.

14. BillyMays14

BillyMays14 Member

Mar 9, 2012
    This looks fantastic, can't wait to see this on the store!

15. Reddaye

Reddaye Member

Feb 9, 2012
    You had me at Eye of the Beholder. I would have been happy with just 2d sprites, but the 3d is very nice.

Here's hoping for lots of little secrets tucked away, creepy and tough monsters, and strong character creation.

16. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    We are one step closer to a game having decided on a name - and we think it starts looking like one.

[​IMG]

Soft shadow and the nice Ambient Occlusion now runs at full speed on latest devices - light and shadow will be an important part of gameplay and story.

UI is still in the works, but as you can see, full party will still be there.

17. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    WOW! I'm really digging the new look. So, is the story going to be all original as well??

18. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    This is looking really amazing!! You guys are doing a great job I can't wait to see more and see it in action!

19. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Looks like a good alternative if Grimrock doesn't make it to iOS...anyway I won't get my hopes too high for either one right now.

20. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    We really want you to buy both. I am playing Grimrock right now and I think there is actually nothing I would make better - just different.

So we decided to go a little more in the direction of Lands of Lore, having a small overworld and having parts of the dungeons look like they are or have been inhabited with some special rooms that give a slight diversion from the dungeon routine and where you might meet NPCs that drive the story.

We'll go for a dark look and hopefully succeed in making this a little scary, so "creepy and tough monsters" - yes, definetiley as you only feel that uneasiness with the monsters posing a real threat.