Universal Midway Arcade - (by Warner Bros.) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed on all accounts. A D-pad to tap would benefit every single game here. Pretty much with every game for iOS, a D-pad is much more usable than a joystick. Hopefully they give us more control options in an update.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Finally got to play with it.

I swear I had a hard time moving right in Joust, and that it stutters. Freed up memory beforehand, will try a reboot in a bit. Also APB really should have had an analog gas pedal and locked rotation by default - who wants the mission screens to display in a different orientation?!?

"App needs iCade support badly!" ;)

3. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    I might have been spoiled by that midway arcade classics, dual stick setup, for gauntlet, and total carnage.

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Game Impressions

Maybe I missed someone else answering this, but each game is fullscreen when played in its native orientation. Turned the "wrong way" you get the game much smaller with art in the borders. So Spy Hunter is fullscreen in portrait, while Joust is fullscreen in landscape.

Those are the only two I've tried so far, but I've found control setups that I could use with no problem (change controls in the Pause menu).

Overall very slick. You can even look around the 3D cabinets by swiping. As for adding iCade support... Me three!

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think this has bags full of potential, yeah theres the odd teething problem with some controls but i'm sure that'll be fixed or amended in an update. But here we have a cheap app, with very very cheap IAP's for other classic games, its been selling tons so i'm sure Midway will add more to it and also tighten up any issues.

Compared to other arcade apps (Capcom, Namco) this is the best easily.

6. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Gah, there are so many games I want them to add in via IAP. I REALLY hope they do add more and soon...

I can't believe I missed out on iMAME to be able to play all my childhood games to go... Are games via iMAME really enjoyable or are they kinda crap like jailbroken emulators?

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Enjoyable and kinda crap like jb emus (after all it's just another emu). Glad I picked it up in time, but I also have no problem buying apps to support the property owners if they release them (and they don't totally suck).

8. try2bcool

try2bcool Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2012
    It amazes me that the controls ruin every single game in this (initial, not IAP) collection. I had more fun playing Roll Ball than anything else on there.

Spy Hunter is unplayable no matter which control scheme you use, and it was really the one I bought the collection for.

Maybe they didn't realize most of these originally had DIGITAL controls? You can't emulate it with analog-feeling movement, it's not going to work. Yeah, the red knob control looks cool and authentic, but put some damn d-pads on these games!

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I only tried Joust so far, but it's horrible which seems mind boggling and doesn't give me hope for the rest. How could they not see that this game should have had left and right buttons to be playable on a touch screen? Stupid fake joystick. Bizarre and so disappointing. How is Total Carnage? That one might work well if they used some sensible dual stick controls. It might be worth the IAP if that one works well.

10. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is what boggles me. Joust controls exactly as the original did. In fact, I'm playing much better with this version than I am when I tried it over the weekend with joystick controls on my console and computer. I'm having no issues whatsoever.

Just curious and don't mean this to sound rude or anything, have you played Joust before to know that it is supposed to feel as though your character is sliding around on ice? That was the challenge in the game. It takes a second or two for your character to respond and react to your input. Several slight taps in the direction you want to move with your joystick while tapping 'flap' should work great. If you hold either too long you will begin to move too fast and lose control.

Same with Gauntlet. It seems as though a lot of the complaints in the app store reviews complain that you can't shoot and move at the same time. It's supposed to be that way, faithful to the original. If people are having real issues and bugs, that's fine and they should of course certainly be addressed. I just wonder how many complaints are from younger gamers who have not played the originals and don't know the primitive methods these games used, especially compared to modern standards.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I thought Total Carnage was one of the more playable ones.

They definitely did not put as much effort in control variation than Atari did (and even the Atari controls were hard to use until the first patch.)

My only advice is that you don't have to swipe/move the joysticks - you can just tap to the left/right/up/down. So far I've had the best luck with fixed sticks and tilt in the steering games. The little wheel is awful. Also - the driving games really, really, really need to have analog gas pedals. In APB you can tap-tap-tap, but Spy Hunter really gets hit hard with the bad steering and gas at the same time. :(

Another trivial thing is that the prizes suck - not that I mind what you get (except they're surprisingly low-poly/detail for something you're looking at close) its that it seems odd that they just appear when you get so many tickets, and it doesn't appear you 'spend' tickets on them (deducting from your total) like it works in real life. I'd love to have some of those animated wall art pieces for my home, though. ;)

12. SKELETOR68

SKELETOR68 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    DND, Canadian Forces Soldier, Arty
    CFB Wainwright, Alberta Canada
    Arcade for iPad

I like this Midway Arcade, would love to see one from EXIDY, having Mouse Trap, Pepper II, and even Venture style Arcade games set up like in Midway. Must admit I am impressed how cheap and how nice it is on the iPad 1st gen.

13. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    more retro needed

needs Timber and Smash TV.....

14. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Anyone know when they're planning on adding more DLC?

15. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Or if they are planning to?

16. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I would love to know this as well. I would blindly pay for any games they add on in IAP. The current ones are fantastic...

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well great news is the latest versions added iCade support, brilliant stuff

But i hope they add more game packs soon. Its a great app, far better than the disappointing and overpriced Namco Arcade, but i hope they add more games to it soon

18. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm still holding out hope that they'll add more games like Bubbles, Robotron 2084 and Smash TV. No one has heard any news, right?

19. Yeong-Tae

Yeong-Tae Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Tokyo
    I'm having problems downloading the Action pack. I bought the app a long time ago and the Gauntlet pack and have no problems with that...but I opened this app recently for the first time in a long time and thought, what the heck, I'll get the Action pack too. I paid for it and downloaded it, but it still says 'Unlock' on all the games. I keep re-downloading, and also restoring, but it never unlocks the 3 games! Any help?

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Same thing happens to me :(