Lich Defense by JellyOasis (Dev's of Elf Defense): **20 Testers ** Xbox 360, $50, $10

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AppsAsia, Jun 29, 2012.

1. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    #101 saiyukialex, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    DAY1 #3

Bugs:

#1 New Tower not Recommend in Driller
    [​IMG]

#2 Game is recognized as vertical orientation SOMETIMES.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#3 Sometimes no sound effects at all.

More Script Errors in Loading Screens:

[​IMG]
    Regen Units can recover their HP themselves when they are not under attack,

[​IMG]
    It consumes Lich's HP when using most of your skills.

[​IMG]
    The soulstealers cost the same price when you summon/unsummon them. You should sell them only in crisis.

[​IMG]
    Anti-Physic units can only be attacked by magical towers.

[​IMG]
    Magical units are weak towards physiol towers.

Some Suggestions:

#1 Move the position of Jelly amount to a little bit left to show better.
    [​IMG]

#2 Combine the pause and play button together to make it much clearer on the play screen.

#3 A stick to show the upcoming enemy type and info.

#4 View the Quests in the X menu on the pause screen.

#5 Add description to tell players how to finish or unlock the left 3 quests after completing the first 3.

#6 Add swipe gesture in Help viewing.

#7 Change the level name (italic words) to a brighter color to see them clearly on the map.
    [​IMG]

#8 Add time count before enemy starts to attack.

#9 Highlight the enemy attacking direction with much more obvious signs.

#10 Add slow motion at the last hit moment with a close shot.

#11 In the main menu, the storm should change direction with the tilting of device. It would look awesome!

2. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    #102 Daver16, Jul 11, 2012
    Day 1 Post 1

Had no problems installing this build and getting it to run and it has been going pretty smoothly. I've enjoyed how this plays and how the interface is an improvement since Elf Defense .

Suggestions:

1: The game could use a tutorial round on the first map to help those that are new to the game or genre understand what is going on and how to play. I noticed there was one for the shop but didn't see one for the missions.

2: The missions are a nice touch to the maps but it would be nice to see them while you are playing on a map. They can be easy to forget and if there was a menu to click on so you could see it and show if you had already completed them.

3: On the map there are words but they are very hard to read perhaps it would be better to have it in a different font and size.

4: I think it would be good for the shop to have single map consumables that would add bonuses for that round. These would be an excellent way to give people the option to purchase more iap but not force them. Some examples for these bonuses would be 2x money for that round, slow enemies by 25%, increase damage by 25% ect. These bonuses would help people be able to clear harder maps that they may be stuck on but they wouldn't over power the player so it wouldn't be a challenge.

5: A Daily slot machine would be a nice way to add some bonus money or jelly points that I feel people would really enjoy because everyone likes free stuff and perhaps would encourage iap usage.

6: Daily or weekly challenge maps that would be high difficulty and high reward. Much like the missions on each map but force the player to only be limited to certain towers or skills to use. Have these only available for a one time try or only one per day try having stuff like this that are updated often even weekly gives people who have finished the game something more to do.

Dislikes:

1: I like the records tab but I don't like that it is in the shop menu. I feel that there should be a profile menu that would you could access anywhere that would show the missions for the current map and then have the records in there so you can see your progress throughout the game.

2: This may be a bug but it looks like from the map summary that there are icons for 6 quests on each map but it only lists 3 of them and you can't scroll to see more and the ones you have completed do light up but there are still some that aren't but no indication to how to complete them.

3: The music could be longer or have more tracks it tends to be very short and only change when you fight a boss. I enjoy playing the game with music because it helps the game be more engaging and can get you excited for the fights but when it's a repeated track it tends to be annoying. Perhaps have the option to play music from playlists right in the app or add some more tracks

Attached Files:

3. zeroice

zeroice Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Sorry to be late today.

Day 1 #1

Pro:
    1. The game is native Universal.
    2. The characters are well designed.
    3. Like the icon.
    4. X4 speed feature.
    5. Frog weather effects.

Con:
    1. Though the game is native Universal, it's stil not full screen.
    2. Some script errors like missing an "s" in purual forms.
    3. There're no obvious different lookings among towers with level 1-3 and level 5-Max.

Bugs:
    1. The black screen after JellyOasis is a bit longer on iPad 2.
    2. The BMG seems to be short and repeats again and again without a good transition.
    3. The game resumes from background without a pause.
    4. Player cannot touch anything after the game resumes from background.
    5. The first time start Upgrade menu, the popups are stacked together.

Suggestions:
    1. Continue to next stage directly when get a victory.
    2. The map looks still pixel. So make it sharp.
    3. Have a much more detailed Tutorial.

4. zeroice

Aug 20, 2010
    I think more quests can only be available when you finished all campaigns in a map.

5. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    I was wondering about the same thing too. I finished the first 10 campaigns for the Meadow map, no new quests pop up. Got 24/60 "coins" or stars.

6. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Day 1 Comment 2
    No Story mode? Cutscenes would be nice or else it's just another generic tower defense.

7. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    No such problem on iPhone 4.

Maybe it's for iPad users.

8. zeroice

Aug 20, 2010
    I think there's an Infinite Mode from the Record in Upgrade menu.

IMG_0156.png

9. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Yeah it seems like the game is set up for a story mode but is missing cutscenes and text to explain it. Would be really nice to see it added because otherwise it's a little confusing why you're a lich and humans are attacking you!

Suggestions-

1- I feel that you should be able to move the map around or be able to zoom in and out. When placing towers in the upper right corner I tend to hit lots of buttons when trying to upgrade a tower which can get kind of annoying.

2- Maps should start out on the pause button. It has caught me off guard a few times that it's not on pause and been attacked while I wasn't paying attention. I could see people just starting out could be overwhelmed by this because in most TD you have to select the tower you want to build and then bring it to the spot where as this you select the spot and then choose your tower.

3- Screen auto rotate should be added. While I like the screen the way it is I know there are people out there that prefer to have the headphone jack on the right side instead of the other way around. This is a little thing but to some people it is a huge pet peeve that would put them off the game rather then enjoy it.

4- When switching to a different screen or to text messages the game should auto pause itself so that way when you switch back there isn't a ton of crazyness going on.

Overall the game has been running smoothly I haven't experienced any crashing or bugs really I will keep plugging away and be back later with my final post for the day.

10. zeroice

Aug 20, 2010
    Day 1 #2

Suggestions:
    1. The game dimms automatically when long time no building towers. I think you can add an option to dimm the screen or not.

2. Is it possible to add a bonus section to view the scratches of these characters. I really like the designs of charcaters. Or some wallpapers.

3. Add some SNS share buttons after a stage to share the score/game link to Twitter FaceBook, etc.

4. Level editor would be great if it can be considered.

5. In Elf Dedense, there are different difficulties. However it cannot be seen in Lich Defense.

6. Add some warnings before the game starts. Because there are skulls in the game, it's not good for young children.

11. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Hmm...on #2, what they had is actually correct. What you wrote doesn't sound right. and on #5, again, what they had was correct and what you had just doesn't sound right...plus you misspelled physical. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, I just want to make sure that the text in the final project sounds professional and makes sense. Your other corrections were great though :)

12. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Still downloading the beta my Internet is really slow today. Just wanted to give that update, hopefully I can get my two comments in by the end of the day.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #113 undeadcow, Jul 11, 2012
    I am also crashing at start-up on my iPod Touch 3G 32GB (3GS) running iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken. When I click the icon the screen turns black for about 13 seconds then I see the Jelly Oasis logo for 3 seconds and it goes to a black loading screen. On the loading screen the blue rotating circle in the lower left corner turns about 3 revelations and the app crashes. Before crashing the rotating circle lulls and slows at several points. Game Center appears to load properly because in a least one case the welcome banner displayed and disappeared seconds before the crash. I tried closing all other applications possible but still crashes at same spot. I tried rebooting device and same. I tried turning off wifi but no luck, same with turning on airplane mode.

I will upload crash logs when I can and try to participate in beta discussion as possible. In beta testing I try to be harsh in hopes it will be constructive; despite any criticisms I was really looking forward to checking out Lich Defense.

14. psychen

psychen Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Bug Report Day 1
    POST 1

Yeah, there are grammatical errors. However, I think that the bugs in actual gameplay mechanics are MUCH more important, so I will be reporting actual bugs with the game, not spelling problems.

Bug 1: Like others have noted, the BGM is not synced correctly, so it doesn't go throught a perfect loop.

However, I think that people are only noting this for the home screen music of vice versa. BOTH the main menu music and the music for when you are in-game doesn't loop properly.

Bug 2: 50% Math is not accurate. It says that it is 50% off of 20.99$ (which with correct math should be ~10.49$) but shows 12.99$. This math is wrong.

[​IMG]

Bug 2.5: The dollar sign for the above bug should be BEFORE the amount, not after. Ex: $12.99. Not 12.99$

Bug 3: The weather (i.e. the clouds) need to be on a different layer of the map. Look at the screenshot below; when you get a bunch of clouds, they cover up possible upgrades and the selling amount for towers and it's harder to see them. I think if you select a tower and you see the upgrade for [x] amount of MP and the sell button, both of the buttons pertaining to the tower should be ABOVE the clouds.

[​IMG]

Bug 4: When you sell a tower, the icon shows a coin, but I think that this leads to a hell of a lot of confusion because when you sell it, you are given MP, not coins.

Bug 5: After completing a wave, a little thing comes on the left of your screen telling you about the next enemy. This is fine, except for the fact that everything in the game continues BUT the "Thunder" skill animation with the red circle: when you drag it during the transition time between waves it completely stops spinning.

[​IMG]

Bug 6: Clicking the "X" button in game and clicking Main Menu doesn't GO to the main menu, it goes to the campaign menu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ After clicking Main Menu I get to here. Not main menu.

Bug 7: The quest for "2. Snail Rail" that says: "Clear all the waves until the 400 seconds" not only is confusing but I don't know how I would keep track of such a thing. If I understand it correctly, it means, "Clear all waves in under 400 seconds." I timed myself once and even with 4X on, this was not possible.

I see two options here. Either A.) Keep the Quest and implement a timer so the user can see how much time they have left, or B.) Pick a different Quest.

NOTE: I would strongly recommend looking into the code and making sure that 4X and 2X speeds aren't making the time count (the number of seconds) increase by that speed also.

Bug 8: The "Thunder" skill should really be called "Lightening."

The skill is using lightening bolts to shock enemies, thunder is just a sound.

Bug 9: There's a tower bug on the Map "4. Will Not Unite". When you put down a tower in certain places, the upgrade and sell buttons get put in weird places. See screenshots below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ This one is particularly problematic, I can't even see the tower because the sell button is on top of it.

[​IMG]
    ^ Here the buttons cover the map

Bug 10: The yellow outline when you select a tower is above the tower, so when you upgrade the tower at all and it gets any taller, the yellow outline just covers it. See screenshot.

[​IMG]

Bug 11: Not sure if this is actually a bug, but you guys should make it so that you can press 4X again to go back to regular speed. It's more natural for me to click the speed button to make it go back to normal instead of having to click the "play" button. It is already playing.

Bug 12: You can only play the game in one orientation. Maybe you guys should allow the player to play if the turn the phone around to the opposite orientation.

Bug 13: There is a BGM option, a Sound Effect option, and a Effect option.
    Turning on and off the Effect option doesn't seem to do anything. What is it?

Bug 14: If I drag a skill onto the map while waves are transitioning and I let go of it, it will stay there and not activate and I can't do anything else in the game like upgrade towers.

[​IMG]
    This is during the transition, I let go at this point.

[​IMG]
    This was in-game, after I let go of the Thunder

15. Megalitum

Megalitum Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    #115 Megalitum, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    *non-countable comment*

deleted

16. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Spelling/Grammatical Errors:

[​IMG]

Should say " With the lich pack you can have enormous firepower without towers or skills. This pack will provide you with with 2 mighty weapons and the solar robe which increases every stat as well as the lich's attack"

[​IMG]

Should say " Don't you want to be a powerful spell caster who can wipe out all enemies with one great skill? Buy the skills pack. You'll get the caster robe that will increase your skills. You also get 2 ultimate skills"

[​IMG]

Should say " Tower pack + Skill pack + Lich pack's major items are all together in this all in one package. This pack will lead you to make the ultimate lich"

[​IMG]

Should say " Hit all enemies in range and will ignore defense type. Only one can be used in a single stage"

[​IMG]

Should say " Increase a tower's damage if the tower is in the obelisk's range"

[​IMG]

Should say " Price is the same for summon/unsummon. Gain more MP when an enemy is killed in the tower's range"

[​IMG]

Should say "Slows an enemy with freeze. Can also lock an enemy in ice from time to time"

[​IMG]

Should say " Target gains continuous fire damage. When an enemy dies on fire it will explode"

[​IMG]

Should say " Hit multiple targets with enormous damage, but cannot hit flying enemies"

[​IMG]

Should say " HP: HP will be reduced when you get attacked by enemies or when casting spells. If your HP reaches zero it's game over. HP will automatically be recovered every new wave.

MP: This is the source for summoning a tower. Every time you kill an enemy you will gain MP"

17. Megalitum

Megalitum Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    #117 Megalitum, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Day 2 Post#1

@psychen Effect is skill animation. Don't panic, it's not a bug xD
    ----------------------------
    Some suggestions:
    1) Skills' levels should not be defined as +1, +2... +19, they are not items which have +x enhance graduate. Skills' levels should be defined as lvl1, lvl2... lvl20
    [​IMG]
    2) There should be a quest list button during the mission. For example, I forgot to build 3 different types of towers in one mission. I looked for a quest list but there was no such button. I think the best place for this button would be near current wave bar:
    [​IMG]

18. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Game wont install.. not sure what is up

19. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

More Spelling/Grammatical Errors:

[​IMG]

Should say "Your equipped skill list will be shown on the lower right side of the game screen. You can cast your skills by touching, dragging or dropping it. When you use your skills, you then have to wait for the cool down period to end before using that skill again.
    Skills can be managed from the lich tab in the upgrade menu"

[​IMG]

Should say " - Slows target enemy with freeze
    - Can lock an enemy in ice from time to time.
    - Can only lock ground enemies in ice"

[​IMG]

Should say " If you touch an empty space on the ground you will see a list of the towers you can summon. You can also see the towers range by touching the towers image. The tower will be summoned as soon as you take your finger off the screen"

20. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Day 1 - post 1

First of all, thank you for including me in this beta. I really enjoyed your last game, and this one seems even more polished. I have liked the first 5 or so missions that I've played, but I noticed a few things that I think need to be changed/edited. On this post I will focus mostly on grammar and translation problems. My next post will focus mostly on suggestions for additions, changes, etc.

Tutorial Pages:

[​IMG]
    This text would be more clear if it was something like this: 'If you touch an empty space on the ground, you will see icons for all the towers you can summon. You can also see the tower's range if you touch it's image. Once you take your finger off the screen, the tower will be summoned.' Speaking of which, this method of selecting towers is both problematic and un-intuitive. It would make more sense to have a list at the bottom and drag and drop the towers onto the map.

[​IMG]
    This text is mostly okay, but would be a little clearer if it was instead: 'If you touch the summoned tower you can see the tower's range. The red upgrade button and gold sell button will be shown to manage your tower. The number located on the top-right side of the tower is the tower's upgrade level and that number box's color indicates the tower's buff status.' Also, 'Price For Reinforce' should probably be 'Price to Upgrade' and 'Price For Sell' should be 'Mana from Selling' Also, I think the sell button should probably be the same color as the mana and indicate that you get mana, not coins, for selling. I also think the upgrade button should be green instead...it's more intuitive and just makes it more clear that it's an upgrade button.

[​IMG]
    This page should probably say: 'Touching certain objects in range of your towers will cause your towers to attack and destroy the objects. Once that obstacle is destroyed, you get some MP and more room to summon towers.'

[​IMG]
    The first two status labels should probably be 'Unavailable' and 'Cooldown' instead of 'Unable' and 'Cooltime' and 'Cooldown' should probably not be bold. Also, the main text would make more sense as: 'Your equipped skill list will be shown on the lower right side of the game screen. You can cast your skills by touching a skills icon or dragging and dropping the skill onto the screen. When you use a skill, you must wait until the cooldown timer finishes in order to use that skill again. Skills can be managed from the Lich tab in the upgrade menu.' I think the way towers are summoned should be similar to the way skills are summoned, including the drag and drop format. I also think that the controls should have a reserved section of the screen so that they do not obscure a section of the map that towers can be summoned on. You could maybe have a skills tab and a towers tab that can be switched with the click of a button, to save screen space.

[​IMG]
    On this page, 'For Summon Tower' should probably just say 'Mana Points' and 'Your Life point' should say 'Health Points'. Then for the regular text, it should probably be: 'HP: getting attacked by enemies and casting spells will reduce your HP. The game is over if your HP reaches zero. You will automatically recover HP every wave. MP: This is your currency for summoning towers. Killing enemy units will give you more MP.'

Upgrade Menu:

[​IMG]
    I noticed the one item is called 'Wixdom Hood'. Should this item be called 'Wisdom Hood'? Also, the yellow button with an 'X' on it should probably be a little more defined, maybe by using a different color or by giving the border around it a dark color. The first time I opened this up, I spent around 5-10sec trying to find how to close that pop-up. Also, just a little thing...the Jelly coins...what's up with the name? Does 'Jelly' mean anything important? Is it just a random name? Honestly it's pretty strange, but whatever.

[​IMG]
    I think the 'Thunder' skill should probably be called lighting, as thunder is only a sound and lightning is what you see. Also, '10SEC75%HP Decrease'...what? I honestly have no idea what that line means. Does it mean that it decreases enemy HP by 75% for 10sec? Does it decrease your HP by 75% for 10sec? Maybe be a little more specific here.

[​IMG]
    This is minor, but the think 'Remain point' should actually be 'Remaining Points'

In-Game Notices:

[​IMG]
    Another minor thing. I think '-Every locked up enemy in ice is ground enemy' should say '-Only ground enemies can be locked up in ice' Also, I think this text should wrap so that it doesn't hang over the border...makes it look more professional.

[​IMG]
    'Clear all the waves until the 400 seconds'...again, what? Do you mean 'Clear waves for 400 seconds'? or maybe 'Survive for 400 seconds'? Try to make this a little more clear. Also, try to be consisten with the name of this tower. It should either be 'Ice Berg' or 'Iceberg', preferably the second of the two.

[​IMG]
    'Recommend' should be 'New Tower' instead. '- Great Combo With [IceBerg] should probably be '-Works great with Iceberg tower'

Loading Tips:

[​IMG]
    Another 'Iceberg' tower incosistency. 'ice berg' should probably be 'Iceberg'.

[​IMG]
    This should say 'The Soulstealer tower can be summoned/sold at the same price and should only be sold in a crisis.'

Mission Select:

[​IMG]
    the 'Clear the stage with lesser than 80%HP' should probably be 'Clear stage with less than 80% HP'

Well, that's all for this post. I'll post back later with some thoughts on the UI and gameplay, as well as bugs I find.

Thanks again for including me in the beta, and I hope I can be of some help! :D