Auto-battle?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KakitaMike, Apr 15, 2016.

1. KakitaMike

KakitaMike Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    my try/skip question is; Is the combat so grindy and mindless that it includes an auto-battle function?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something to keep in mind with this is that something doesn't need to be mindless to have an auto-battle function, as it's a culturally important feature. People in Asia straight up won't bother with your game if it doesn't have auto-battle, even if the decisions the automatic system makes are totally suboptimal and really shouldn't be used for anything other than squash matches.

3. KakitaMike

Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    Right, but the cultural barrier isn't really something I need to consider for why I play a game. Just as some people don't like IAP or online all the time games, I find auto-battle style games to be turn off. If the game requires you to run something so much, that the developer realizes even the person playing the game doesn't want to do it, it's not a game I can get into. Taichi Panda, Heroes Charge, countless others i can't recall. I feel like i'm just clicking after a point and not making any real decisions that matter.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Your decisions do matter though, particularly if you want to get the most out of your gameplay. I've played a lot of Summoners War which is sort of similar, and it has auto-battle. When you put your dudes into auto-battle, they do the absolute dumbest shit, which would basically be the equivalent of playing a Final Fantasy game going through battles not even looking at the TV and just tapping the X button. All auto-battle does is effectively put a virtual drinking bird on the X button.

When you're actually in a challenging battle, auto-battle is the quickest way to lose. With many of these games, grinding is a big part of it, and it's totally mindless anyway so it's not like there's much more gameplay involved if you're hitting the same button a bunch yourself or just letting the game do it for you... So you can get to the content that's actually cool and challenging.

5. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    #5 hellscaretaker, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    So just cause you don't like them, do you need to tell the world that with your opening comment? I was on the fence myself when it come to that "auto button", yet over time i find that auto button is a good idea regardless if we going to use the cultural argument.

I like to add couple reasons why the auto button is not bad as some like to think.

1. Not everyone has a super size screen to play on, lets take Taichi Panda with its many attack buttons and try and play it on iphone 5 i know i can't as have big fingers plus also i have phone protector around the phone so getting to tap them buttons in the corners is a real pain.

2. You a gamer that is disabled and not able to keep touching the game to do that attack or pull of the special move thanks to the auto button now disable players can enjoy the same games that we can enjoy.

Thing is just cause the auto attack button is there, you DONT have to use it no one is forcing you to use it just like no one is forcing you to make IAP.

Anyway going back to the whole "grindy and mindless" i pokemon was the same and look how well that game done?

6. KakitaMike

Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    Can I assume from the rabid attacks that this game has auto-battles, since no one's been able to answer that question, just fly off the handle because I asked about it?

All I said was I wasn't interested in the game if it has them. I didn't say it was a bad game, didn't call anyone an idiot if they liked it. Honestly, I don't see how this question is any different than if someone had asked if this was more of a fighting game or a strategy RTS game.

7. KakitaMike

Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    I just don't see why they can't make the game based around that challenging part. It's the reason I stopped playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Yes, you actually had to play the boss fights, and maybe the fight or two directly before the boss, but those 8 floors of enemies prior, just auto through.

But again, I don't really care about the merits of auto-battling. Clearly it's a popular mechanic, or else it wouldn't be so prevalent. It's just a feature that speaks to a bigger aspect of the game (rerunning trivial content) that doesn't really do anything for me.

8. hihaos

hihaos Member

Jul 2, 2015
    The 'auto button' used to be a turn-off feature for me in the past for many mobile games. However if you realize the trend in gaming, people who play mobile games don't have the luxury of staring at their phones for 30mins to an hour straight (that's if you're using blue stack on your computer, or you're just stoning at your desk as a matter of factly). People commute, reply to whatsapp every minute or so, and even do something else while gaming. And that's where the 'auto button' allows one to multi-task because at the end of the day, I have to agree with @hellscaretaker that the feature helps us at least to 'grind mindlessly' for items and exp before we take on more challenging stages which requires us to overlook the entire battle or gameplay as what @eli said that decisions do matter.

That being said, I'm playing the game atm and although I find it so so similar to monster's Squad by Nexon, the concept of walking around the map searching for items before fighting the boss brings me back to my pokemon days - although not entirely similar, but the nolstagia is there:)

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you think people discussing how auto-battle works and why it's important is a "rabid attack" you probably shouldn't be on a discussion forum.

10. KakitaMike

Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    It is when it's unsolicited. I didn't ask for the merits of auto-battling to be explained. Heck, right above my initial inquiry, someone asked if the game required a constant internet connection. No one decided to get up on their soapbox and defend constant online games. Someone just replied, yes, it requires a constant connection for reasons A, B and C. It was like they were able to read the quetion, understand what the person asked, and reply.

It's odd, because the VERY SAME person who was able to figure that question out couldn't figure out how to answer an equally simple and straightforward question.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

This seems like it's making you incredibly angry so let me be the first to apologize that I tried to explain auto-battle to you. I had no idea this would offend you this severely. Usually when you explain why a game mechanic exists people are like, "Huh, cool, never knew that." Not "Quit rabidly attacking me."

12. KakitaMike

Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm a bit angry that I couldn't ask a simple question without getting a simple response. That and I'm puzzled why you'd feel the need to explain a mechanic to someone who said they weren't a fan of it. I didn't ask why auto battles exist. I didn't ask to be sold on auto battles. I just asked if they were in the game or not. I'll be sure to steer clear of such hot-button topics in the future.

Had i known it would be this difficult to get an answer to the question, I would of just downloaded it to check. Which technically, still hasn't been answered, I've just kind of had to divine it from the tone of the pseudo-responses.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You are an incredibly pleasant person, thanks for being a member of our community.

14. Podhog

Podhog Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Yes, this game does have an auto battle feature. Don't worry about Eli either, half of his responses on this site are passive-aggressive and immature.

15. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    I endured the Korean tutorial, only to realize it's impossible to start over a new character at all. Tried to delete the game then reinstall it, either I can continue my first game in Korean or start a new one... still in Korean.

The thing is, I feel that I messed up the first choices I made in my game. So it's incredibly frustrating to not be able to START a new game in ENGLISH.

Downloaded from the Canadian App Store by the way.

16. samiel90

samiel90 New Member

Apr 21, 2016