Universal Dragon Fantasy - (by The Muteki Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Bryan @ Muteki Corp

Bryan @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    President, The Muteki Corporation
    It is indeed! Thank you all so much for the excitement around this game.
    We're so excited about it too and just hope you all enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it...after all it only took 16 years...

Yes, 16 years...kinda. See more of that at http://mtki.co/

2. ilovemyipod

ilovemyipod Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    oh man i cant wait to play it goes to download ....

3. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Am I just doing it wrong or is there seriously no way to tell the stats of equipment?

4. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Game Impressions

So far, I love it. You really nailed the NES look and sound. Judging by the gold dropped by enemies to the price of items in the first shops, and also by the number of random encounters, it appears you got the old-school game-play down as well. I like that the hero is a washed up old man past his prime, rather than a 12 year old. Is this the first RPG hero with a gut and male pattern baldness? I approve.

5. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Also, the game seems choppy as hell when the character is walking around. Gives the impression that the framerate is stuttering, but it appears to just be designed like that. Wish it were smoother.

Fix those two things and this game is golden. I love the battle system and the humor.

Also, major props for actually doing 8 bit graphics right. Most designers mess up and make text boxes and text itself smooth(looking at you, 1 bit ninja and guardian saga), but everything in here looks legit. Really appreciate that level of attention.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #27 undeadcow, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    So far enjoying Dragon Fantasy, the enemy difficulty seems challenging and villian design is good. Some of the humor is fun but at other times it comes across as too slash-dash. The zooming is good (other retro RPGs have seemed cropped). Story so far has good sense of mystery and pacing. I'm still not sure I like the restart at last benchmark on death with little penalty. Overall a spirited game so far but could use some tweaking. Still very early on but looking forward to acquiring use of magic. Will post more later but recommend this release.

I noticed that too, the movement controls don't seem as smooth as could be.

This too... all I get is a cutesy comedic description of the weapon with no stat indication.

7. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    #28 Andiron, Aug 25, 2011
    I've only played for about fifteen minutes but I'm loving it so far - the retro feel was nailed perfectly but as I was hoping the real thrill of this game for me is the comedy. As expected the game has made me (literally!) laugh out loud several times and I personally love the silliness.

The enemies I've encountered so far are priceless and possibly some of my absolute favorite enemies in any video game but perhaps I just like the humor - hope it doesn't wear thin. Most (just about all?) RPGs take themselves *way* too seriously and it is refreshing to see a RPG be so funny.

I was laughing even with the first newbie monsters you fight. For example - the first monster I came across after leaving the initial starting area had a combat flavor text of "Mr. Rock Monster tries to explain the lipstick on his collar..." when attacking me. Then the very next enemy I met was a second Mr. Rock Monster who tried attacking me with his "marital troubles".

And then the third enemy I came across was Mrs. Rock Monster - complete with lipstick and a ribbon and had a message saying that she was "full of anger".

This game was worth every penny spent on it - even just for the humor alone.

I'm also glad that the combat music was changed - it's not annoying like it was in the first playthrough video that was shown.

Looking forward to spending a good while playing through this one. Good job so far...

8. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    is it jrpg?

9. crashfaster

crashfaster New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    hi all! i'm crashfaster...i wrote the music for DRAGON FANTASY.

totally agree. the higher pitched element wasn't sitting right with me either, so i changed things around a little to make it less grating.

i hope you enjoy the game as much as i enjoyed working on it with the über-talented team at muteki. i am really excited to hear what people think.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm loving this game and i'm surprised how much ! Dont normally like games with random monsters etc but i'm really enjoying this one.

Love the graphics, great music as well.

Nice and easy to fight/use magic and other things. No complaints from me !

Actually just thought ! Would love a left/right/up/down joypad in the corner rather than using the screen to move all the time, be great if you could turn that on/off.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Forgot to say the humour is very very funny in the game, sometimes games can be a bit hit/miss with humour but this one has me smiling and laughing a fair few times. Also liked the Star Wars references at the beginning for Biggs (and someone else).

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Loving the game! Feels fantastic to have such a lovely and extremely entertaining simple RPG that's not cluttered with menu structures that need days of tutorial reading. It often get's crazy nowadays... and you often don't need complexity for some great fun.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Could you elaborate please? The random (I assume "invisible?") battles is the only thing preventing me from picking this up. I've never been able to enjoy any game that employs this mechanic. What's different here?

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Been brought up on Ultima IV which i used to play a ton where you could see the enemy appear and 'try' to run away. Here youre plodding through the forest/desert etc and out of nowhere a random monster just appears to attack you.

At first i wasnt too keen but theres just a lot about the game I'm really enjoying. The way the game looks, the graphics, reminds me of old SNES games, theres not tons of menus to go through to equip your player, easy to use potions etc. Great to pick up and play for a bit and come back to later, must admit last night i was getting quite addicted to it and played it for a few hours. Nice little game

15. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Heh. Ultima V is my favourite RPG of all time. :)

I've never, once, however, been able to get on with one of these games with these random battles. I guess I can't quite quit trying to though, either. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Have you tried Yipe 5?

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #37 metalcasket, Aug 25, 2011
    Seems like I've taken the responsibility of asking the same damn question in every thread, but I have to...is this retina enabled by any chance?

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Honestly i'm the same until recently, I bought Guardian Saga the other week and wasnt keen due to the random battles but theres something different about this game.

If anything i'm grinding (another thing i normally cant stand) near a town as i want to meet monsters to get my level up, skills up etc due to Exp points.

I still wish there was one HUGE epic Ultima style game though, i cant stand KRPG's due to the 'cute' graphics. As someone else pointed out, when you can have huge 3d worlds with great graphics, how come theres not a game consisting of a huge non-linear world with basic graphics out there ?

Thanks for telling me about Yipe 5, seems very good.

18. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes, I am still waiting for anything in the vein of Ultima, Dungeon Master, Wizardry, Might & Magic, etc. on the iOS. Seems like a no-brainer to me for an astute and capable developer to invest time in, and yet nothing much has yet surfaced. Still hoping though.

In any case, didn't mean to derail the thread. Still pondering picking this one up I guess.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    One last derail ! ;) Yipe 5 is very good, very addictive, good bit of humour in it and a lot of fun, ta for the tip.

But the game i really think would work well on iOS is Ultima which was on the original mono Gameboy. Remember as a kid hearing that Ultima was coming onto the gameboy and bought it asap. It was RPG with a bit of arcade action as well, was excellent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHQSpYYU2OQ)

Anyway back to Dragon Fantasy, well worth buying, mentioned it to a few of my friends who love the look of it