Looking for an artist for iPhone/iPad game (profit share)

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Mudloop, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Mudloop

Mudloop Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Web & Game Developer
    Belgium
    Hi,

I am an iPhone developer with 5 games in the store (3 full games and 2 lite versions). Until now, I have been doing the graphics myself, but I am ready to take my games to the next level. My games have been getting relatively good reviews, but my sales are still a bit too low, and good graphics are what sells iPhone games IMHO.

The game I would like to make now is a relatively simple rpg that focuses on the battles. I can give you more details if you are interested.

Just to show that I actually can pull this off, here is an old flash rpg I started making but never finished because my art skills are not good enough (I think it looks allright though) : http://mudloop.com/rpg/
    Don't mind the dialogs, they were all just temporary :)

What would be needed :
    - a number of different background settings (either a big image or tile-based)
    - 5 main characters with a number of animations
    - a number of different animated enemies
    - title screen, menu's, in-game menu's and gui stuff
    - some items and bonuses

I know that is still pretty vague, but the amount of backgrounds and enemies would be something we would have to discuss.

As for the style, it could be anything - pixel art, 3D, hand-drawn, vector-based, ... But I would prefer to make the game scaleable to iPad, so maybe pixelart wouldn't be the best choice, unless you are fine with drawing the assets at two different resolutions.

You can contact me by pm or at "info at mudloop dot com" if you are interested (or use the contact form on www.mudloop.com)

Thanks!

Sven Magnus

2. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    how will the profits be shared

3. Mudloop

Jul 19, 2009
    Web & Game Developer
    Belgium
    It can be discussed, but I think I would split it 50/50 (or if someone else would get involved doing the music, it might change a little).

4. Breakdown Studios

Breakdown Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    3D artist
    Outerspace
    how long is this project going to take?

how many characters are you planning to have?
    how many tiles?
    is there a design document already in place?

5. Yobonja

Yobonja Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hey Mudloop, in my opinon the graphics in your rpg demo and your other games look good. And 50/50 seems like too much to me. In the past I've hired freelancers from the conceptart.org job forum, I got great art for a fixed amount. Not to say that I think profit share is a bad Idea, I'm doing it with an artist on one of my current projects, I just think 50/50 is too much.

My iphone game isn't getting many downloads either, and it's free. I think what it really comes down to is marketing rather that good art. Having a fun game helps too :)

-Angelo

6. Mudloop

Jul 19, 2009
    Web & Game Developer
    Belgium
    That depends on the scope, and the scope is something I am willing to discuss with the artist. I think I will need about 4 months to finish the coding part (since I do this in my spare time).
    five or more, and a lot mroe monsters
    I would like 4 or more "locales". How many tiles they need is up to the artist, it just has to look good.
    Sort of. Contact me if you want my first draft.

I'm glad you like my art. But my main problem is that my graphical skillset is limited, and I can't draw the same thing twice (so animation is a problem).

I know 50/50 is a lot, I just want to make it worthwhile for the people I'm working with. If a game makes me a lot of cash, it will be for a large part because of the graphics, I'm sure, so that should be rewarded.

I am now talking to a number of people to see if they are willing to do the project, but anyone who is interested can still contact me.

7. da-darkmatter

da-darkmatter Member

Jan 24, 2011