Catch The Ark (from Chillingo) - WAS £0.69 ===> NOW FREE!!!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by DelBoy2181, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England

Catch the Ark

PlaySide
    Can you survive the jungle and Catch The Ark in this amazing former EDITOR'S CHOICE game? A flood is coming and Catch t…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Can you survive the jungle and Catch The Ark in this amazing former EDITOR'S CHOICE game? A flood is coming and Catch the Ark’s three adorable creatures Titan, Boon, and Zuzu haven’t got an invite to board Noah’s Ark. Armed with just a raft, the trio must brave the jungle rapids where outrageous hazards, hungry enemies, and even grumpy old Noah himself is out to ensure they don’t make it out alive. Can you catch the ark? WITHOUT A PADDLE Steer the creatures’ raft down perilous rapids filled with rocks, hungry crocs, snapping fishes, and Noah’s explosive barrels to out run the tidal wave behind you and catch the ark. EYES ON THE PRIZE Take in Catch the Ark’s stunning scenery, wild water and jungle packed with everything from monkeys to dinosaurs. Keep an eye on your raft-bound trio to see some hilarious reactions and rich animations. A RAFT OF EXTRAS Collect shiny coins and spend them in the in-game store on power-ups such as the Pterodactyl and new boats such as the Hovercraft and Rubber Ducky. Game Features: • Colorful graphics and impressive animations • Easy to pick up gameplay that’s hard to put down • Full of missions to complete and ranks to obtain • Challenge your friends through Facebook and climb the leaderboards • UNIVERSAL: Works on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad PLEASE NOTE: This game features non-compulsory In-App Purchases. If you do not wish to use this feature please disable In-App Purchases in your device settings.
    Information
    Seller:PlaySide
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Jan 03, 2013
    Updated:Mar 25, 2015
    Version:6.1
    Size:61.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Solid game. I haven't played the new update yet because people lost their data, I'll wait for the next update.

3. #3 Connector, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    Kind of figures that it would go free like almost all Chillingo games do, but this is one of the few recent Chillingo games that I do like. It's a fast paced racing endless runner, and it is really fun. In fact it is one of my favorite games on hdmi tv.

However, the inapps are very expensive, the top boat costs $1,500,000 when you get about 1000 coins without the $1 coin doubler, so need 1,500 games to get this boat. Shame on you Chillingo and EA, why do you have to abuse us so much with inapps? Ahh, the shame.

The update you ask? Well, it was ok for me, didn't lose my coins like some have reported. It's a mix bag though, they added a lot more inapps, and kind of messed with the boats, and framerates got worse. So somethings better, some things worse. Overall didn't care much for it cause it kind of ruined the lower boats, adds a lot more inapps, and framerates went down. Kinda sad being an early adopter when we paid for it, and it really looks like it is a freemium now. Too bad, again like RR3, this could have been a total winner, but EA and Chillingo chose to go another direction, making money through inapps.

Anyway, the game is good and one of the best hdmi tvs, and you can play the game without inapps, but be prepared not to be able to purchase boats, upgrades, etc. buying the coin doubler is without a doubt almost necessary.

Attached is a screenshot on hdmi, wow, it really is fun on a big tv. Definitely download it for sure, highly recommended!

Attached Files:

4. Adding appinfo=all so we can all see the description

Catch the Ark

PlaySide
    Can you survive the jungle and Catch The Ark in this amazing former EDITOR'S CHOICE game? A flood is coming and Catch t…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Can you survive the jungle and Catch The Ark in this amazing former EDITOR'S CHOICE game? A flood is coming and Catch the Ark’s three adorable creatures Titan, Boon, and Zuzu haven’t got an invite to board Noah’s Ark. Armed with just a raft, the trio must brave the jungle rapids where outrageous hazards, hungry enemies, and even grumpy old Noah himself is out to ensure they don’t make it out alive. Can you catch the ark? WITHOUT A PADDLE Steer the creatures’ raft down perilous rapids filled with rocks, hungry crocs, snapping fishes, and Noah’s explosive barrels to out run the tidal wave behind you and catch the ark. EYES ON THE PRIZE Take in Catch the Ark’s stunning scenery, wild water and jungle packed with everything from monkeys to dinosaurs. Keep an eye on your raft-bound trio to see some hilarious reactions and rich animations. A RAFT OF EXTRAS Collect shiny coins and spend them in the in-game store on power-ups such as the Pterodactyl and new boats such as the Hovercraft and Rubber Ducky. Game Features: • Colorful graphics and impressive animations • Easy to pick up gameplay that’s hard to put down • Full of missions to complete and ranks to obtain • Challenge your friends through Facebook and climb the leaderboards • UNIVERSAL: Works on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad PLEASE NOTE: This game features non-compulsory In-App Purchases. If you do not wish to use this feature please disable In-App Purchases in your device settings.
    Information
    Seller:PlaySide
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Jan 03, 2013
    Updated:Mar 25, 2015
    Version:6.1
    Size:61.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

5. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    It's coming up for me as $9.99 right now. :eek:

6. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    Yeh, for me too. But the description says it's free for a limited time. Is this some kind of sick marketing trick?

7. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    me too, seems there's a mistaken...
    waiting till they fix the price...

8. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    #8 Underwater, Mar 7, 2013
    The description is changed: " Please do not download this game! " ...

Edit: It looks like it's changed again. Weird.

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    not another endless racer :mad:

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This was free briefly about 3 hours ago. Not sure why it changed back.

11. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    The game is still free downloading now !!

12. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    now it's free again... :)
    downloading....

13. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #13 nightc1, Mar 7, 2013
    Yeah, was about to post it finally went free. Not sure I'll keep this one around, but I wanted to give it a try because of all the times Connector has posted a picture of it.

Edit:

Gave it a quick play, honestly, pretty graphics and all but gameplay is lackluster and the coin earnings vs price of stuff in the store seems a bit too lopsided towards IAP. Deleted. It does have some charm to it, but.. eh... boring gameplay. I've got better stuff for my game time.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I felt kind of the same way. After hearing good things about it, I had higher expectations. Not exactly boring. Just not compelling enough to make me want to keep it when any amount of space is at a premium on my device.

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Same here.... never played it before but it isnt compelling enough (not boring) and the IAP is too heavy on this one (1.500.000 coins for one thing?!?), shame because its fast and has a different approach: not having lanes.

16. My comments are always ONLY for the hdmi tv version, not on my new ipad or iphone. Hope you gave it a chance on hdmi night before you deleted it. However, huge disclaimer that I wrote to you long ago on the hdmi thread,

This game does not run well on older devices!!! Framerates aren't so good on my iphone 4. So not gonna recommend it that highly for any iphone, except maybe for the iphone 5.

Used to run really really smooth on my ipad 3 until the update yesterday. The graphics got better, the framerates got worse, maybe it is not framerates but just sense of speed. Still runs ok, but prefered the less pretty faster older version.

So maybe, this game is best enjoyed on the newest devices, and hdmi tv makes a HUGE difference in this game. Otherwise, on my new ipad, it is just a little bit better than average driving game.

I have constantly warned you guys of the freemium inapp structure and the update just made it worse! Shame on you EA and Chillingo! Top boat now requires about 2000 games to get it! Inapps close to $50??? Now they crippled the early boats and the top boats are too sensitive, all in the name of making this a future freemium (or maybe it is now).

Anyway, enough of this rant, and I did warn you night about it probably not having 60 fps on your iphone 4s, but it does play like wonders on hdmi tv. So try it, or lockedz whenever you upgrade to a new ipad or iphone. You will appreciate it then much more. Reload it and play it on hdmi if you get a chance.

17. #17 Connector, Mar 7, 2013
    And Chillingo! Why did I lose my coin doubler?

Now it is called coin multiplier, and is $2.99 instead of 99 cents, and the restore button does nothing. Really afraid to smash the coin multiplier button to see if it will charge me again. Accidentally tapped the screen and got a confirmation to buy $40 of coins!

Argh... Where is my coin doubler? This game kinda sucks without it. Chillingo and
    EA, some help please?

Attached Files:

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Nah, graphics weren't a complaint of mine at all. It runs like butter on my 4S. Looks super pretty. I can't count framerates but I didn't see any drops or hiccups in the game. Gameplay? Meh, just average. IAP system? Beyond rubbish. Second round of missions forces you to purchase a powerup from the store and the lowest cost one was something like 1500 gems. Took me about 7 games collect enough for 1 single use powerup. I don't see how HDMI can save this one.

**runs off leaving this window open, re-downloads and fires up the game and connects it to the hdmi monitor on my desk**

On HDMI it still seems rather blah a game experience. It's very pretty graphics but gameplay is just average to me. I'd rather play The Last Driver and have something more to do in the game than just move left and right and have to deal with getting out of align with the obvious 3 lanes. Right after 5000m there are some speedy red fish that move left and right and are pretty difficult to time. It just doesn't seem "fun" when I could play something else.

Maybe they'll fix it. It cost me nothing but time to try it out and the games go by pretty quick so less than 10 min were wasted on this.

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I actually like this...

20. #20 Connector, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    Edit: urgent!!!!

The new update will start crashing and make you lose all coins, boats, inapps, everything!!!

DO NOT UPDATE!!!

You are warned...

Shame on you Chillingo!

Yeah, well, hdmi won't save the inapp structure as you mentioned, and I am disappointed in them adding ships worth $1,500,000 coins which will require about 2000 game plays or more, or pay the $20 real money fee for one boat. At least it isn't $100 real dollars like it is in RR3. Gotta question why EA would put this kind of stuff in. This would have been alot better game without the addition of all this inapp weirdness. And yes, it got worse after the update yesterday, so yes, us early adopters kind of got a double whammy with more inapps and crippling of the early ships. And where the heck did my coin doubler go??? Still scared to hit the button... Will apple refund me if it charges me again? Or is a coin doubler different than a coin multiplier? Argh!

Good, at least you tried it on hdmi from you iphone. And As much as I hate to write this, cause you will cringe from past messages in our hdmi thread. I think this game will look better in ipad retina mirrored hdmi tv cause of the added real estate, better sense of speed, and graphics clarity. I know you are gonna disagree and tell me that iphone 4s hdmi tv is better than new ipad retina hdmi tv, but thought I would post it anyway. Hehe... :p

Attached Files: