iPhone Gaming Addon Controller Prototype

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jun 14, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I wanted to show you a cool prototype picture I found for an addon controller...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielmacdonald/2127089390/

Before, this controller idea would've failed. But now, the iPhone's brand new 3.0 OS allows apps downloaded from the app store to use add on peripherals like this controller. There is a race right now among hardware manufacturers to be the first to create an awesome gaming peripheral for the iphone thats a hit.

Also...

Whoever makes the iphone's first gaming addon, three requirements are must haves...

1. The peripheral should look very sleek, flush with the phone and use the same black plastic found in the front of all iphones. iPhone owners care greatly about how thier device looks.

2. The peripheral must have dual analog sticks/nubs. Imagine the PSP's analog nub, but on both sides. Portable gamers have been clamoring for this feature forever now, so it's about time they get it. I can't overstress how important it is the the iPhone's gaming pad has DUAL ANALOG NUBS.

3. The peripheral must have two shoulder buttons and a solid D-Pad akin to the PSP/PS3's D-Pad to enable fighting games.

Do these things and the peripheral will be a big hit.

Also the smaller the add on, the better. It should be as small as humanly possible. People don't like large bulky addons. And it should have a rectangular design with curved edges identical to the iphone.

2. dudez0r

dudez0r Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    iphone isn't a gaming device...

3. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    #3 VWXYZ, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
    The iPhone is a gaming device, especially after the 3GS. Its much more than that, but after titles like CJS, Zen Bound and such. Its a platform.

For the controller I would just like dual analog stick, and 2 shoulder buttons. Keep it simple, and thats all I really want.

EDIT: just came to think of it... Maybe add in a battery extender... To make the gaming less rough on the battery.

4. Sev

Sev Active Member

Jun 11, 2009
    it's a device. it has games. conclusions?

5. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Ok everyone knows the iPhone is a gaming device, even Apple advertises it like that. But anyways this topic is posted in the wrong forum, it should probably go into the lounge.

6. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Spiffyone is lurking....I can feel it:D Come out come out where ever you are:)

7. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #7 Karuko, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
    iPhone is a mobile platform. And problem with these addons that none will be official so the designing games around them will be difficult. The design would need to be standard so developers can adapt easily their games.

This is an example of a Bluetooth gamepad used for mobiles:
    [​IMG]

I prefer this platform to keep touch/tilt controls rather than adding physical ones, have more innovative games made around these inputs.

8. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Could apple throw down a standard? Because it is true that if every major and minor publisher did their own proprietary piece of hardware add-on none of them would sell.

If apple went out and said: this is how a gaming add-on should look (2 analog stick, 2 triggers, 4 facebuttons?) and then maybe did their own version. Then developers could easily make they own cheap 3rd party knock offs and bigger games could use it.

Then again... I wouldn't want to carry a ekstra controller around. So if this happens I still hope great games would be done for the iPhone alone

9. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
  10. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    This kind of tiny, small-world thinking is what prevents products from evolving. Devices do not have perform one single task. The iPhone is well capable of playing games as we've seen. It doesn't have to be labeled as a gaming device.

11. PredatorTA

PredatorTA Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I totally agree, and I would love to see this. (I would buy it too:D )

12. Retean

Retean Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    I like my touchscreen. As long as devs keep utilizing that then i dont need a addon controller. As soon as devs stop programming the touch screen gameplay and start using the pad for all buttons then ill b pissed. Lets not turn this into a bootleg nintendo ds :p

13. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    ...and no battery pack???

The only reason I would wish to attatch something that ugly to my iPod would be to give it longer battery life. For me it's down to game developer's to make touch screen games with controls that work -a lot of them achieve this, lot's don't. I've got a DS which has a control pad and great battery life but I'm not gaming on it anymore. The iPod/iPod touch has something different to offer. GOOD VALUE GAMES. I'm happy as is.

14. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Hey Retean, you got in before me but I think we're on the same page buddy!

15. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I just hope that a huge publisher or developer (or hell, even a small one) comes out with a device that absolutely blows away the competition and is universal enough for people to develop for that unit even though they weren't the ones to come out with it. A standard. I don't want to buy 10 different accessories for it, I want one maybe two, max. I worry that the market is going to get extremely crowded extremely fast and eventually no one cares about add ons because of its over saturation.

By the way, the first prototype posted. I love seeing mock ups, but the swivel hinge to get the device connected might pose an issue. Usually when it comes to this sorta thing you try to keep away from as many moving components as possible.

16. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    What better way to be flamed then to come to an iPhone game forum and say the iPhone is not a gaming device? :rolleyes: Seriously I have both a wii and a DS and I have played neither since I got my iPhone. I will probably not play my DS again for months. In fact I just bought okami for wii and I have not even started it because of the games on my phone. Ands to think I have bought hundreds of games (including free ones) for probably no more than it cost me for two or three horrible wii games, which are in abundance.

I too think apple should lay down a standard other wise they will be absolutely useless.

17. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I had ds and Psp. Sold both cause I only played iPhone since I got it. Enough said.

Regarding the controller addon, I once asked ngmoco about this in the coments of a TA article, they answered they would probably support such addon if a standard imposes itself.

18. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Win?

19. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Why are you on this forum if you think that?

20. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    you guys really think some game company will develop an app specifically for those who have bought the gamepad?