Operators of TA. Please incorporate the Android platform!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Winterymix, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Winterymix

Winterymix Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Registered Nurse
    West Virginia, USA
    I'm sure this has been posted before. Just wanted to add another plea to the operators of this site to incorporate the Android platform to the site. At the very least include a forum section for Android users to discuss their games and operating system. This would require minimum effort and would give TA some diversity.

Thanks from one of the millions of Android OS users.

- Wintrymix

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

To be fair, it's the latest in iPhone gaming, not android.

You could start a thread in the other discussion forum though, I just don't think they'll make a separate forum for android users.

3. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
  4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Hodapp has said in the past that the website is technically aimed at touch gaming in general, so if the Android store and platform grew to popular enough heights it's possible they'd include it. Guessing the audience just isn't big enough yet.

5. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #6 5duc29, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    I'm not sure how big the Android is but I do think it might be bigger than the iPad right now (just a guess). Two difference could be that the iPad is an Apple product with games on both iPad and iPhone devices, and also comparing a mobile device to pretty much a tablet.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We've actually brought both Android and Windows Phone 7 to the table recently in discussions to expand TouchArcade. The sentiment right now basically comes down to (and this isn't set in stone by any means, but just the result of a pretty huge email thread) is that both Android and Windows Phone 7 are intriguing platforms that probably deserve coverage at some point... But almost everything on both platforms right now originated from the App Store.

This article on Daring Fireball pretty much nails it. Until there's some killer exclusive stuff on either Android of Windows Phone 7, it's not very exciting to cover it. Windows Phone 7 did have a few cool launch titles, but while they launched with a bang it seems like the gaming market is stagnating a little... Especially as "exclusive" launch titles have shown up on XBLA within a few weeks of their "exclusive" Windows Phone 7 launch.

Every week or so we could do a "Hey these iOS games got half-baked ad-ridden Android ports" post, but that seems kind of lame. We'll likely start covering both platforms if/when they pick up enough steam for them to have exclusive content that's worth getting excited about. With how weird the Android market is and how new the Windows Phone 7 market is, who knows when that will be.

7. Winterymix

Winterymix Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Registered Nurse
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the reply, Hodapp. Well explained, and fair enough for now.

-Wintry

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    If there is ever an android section, please include a filter so I don't have to scroll through to get to the good stuff!

9. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    +1

One of the reasons why I still come back to TA repeatedly is because of Hodapp
    ...Oh and because they solely cover iOS news.

If I wanted to read up on Android or WP7 news I would go to PocketGamer because they like to cover a large range of topics.
    TA gets to the point of stuff I want to see. If in the future you go down the path of covering Android or WP7 titles I would like to see a site dedicated to it, TouchAndroid perhaps (Feel free to snap that up now Arn!).

If you want to discuss Android stuff now, go to the Lounge. There are quite active Xbox 360 and PS3 threads in effect.. why not one for Android apps as well?