Music While Developing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Chill Dude, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Chill Dude

Chill Dude Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey so whilst reading 100% Indie I saw that they're asking developers what music people listen to whilst developing and it got me thinking. Now I know some of my colleagues prefer sitting in silence but personally I do prefer music, both video game soundtracks like the Halo Mjolnir Mix and Harry Gregson-Williams's MGS music (ok maybe a bit obvious :)), but also for my sins an awful lot of J-Pop (on now haha).

Any thoughts from the Touch Arcade developers?

2. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    Since my games are mostly dark horror themes, I would sometimes listen to Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson and Slipknot for some motivation depending on what I'm working on. Other than hard rock, I always listen to OST music from Danny Elfman (mostly Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns). Music for Lucen (my first game) had alot of influence from the style of Danny Elfman.

3. 8-Bit Avrin

8-Bit Avrin Member

May 10, 2012
    #3 8-Bit Avrin, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    I usually listen to some of my favorite bands while developing like The Strokes, Bloc Party, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, The XX, Foals, Phoenix, and several others. If I'm not in a music mood I might listen to a podcast. Sometimes when it's late at night and I'm trying to stay up another hour or two I'll start blasting(in my headphones) some dubstep or remixed music. It might sound cliche, but I plan on listening to more classical music when I start working on my next puzzle game.

However, if I get stuck on something or start a section that gets difficult I usually turn off everything, ha.

4. BulldogBaby86

BulldogBaby86 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Student
    California
    This might be lame, but lately I've been listening to the soundtrack from Cirque du Soleil's O. It's catchy, generally has a good pace, and isn't distracting. Pretty much everything else causes me to lose focus. I probably tend to sit in silence more often than not though...

5. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    I play a lot of music in my office. Ambient noise helps a team relax and focus on the same wavelength.

6. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    I tend to listen to a variety of music, usually from my itunes songs or spotify playlists - so ranging from chillout and electronic tunes to pop and rock songs!

Lately been listening to:
    Songs from Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon
    Songs from Need For Speed Most Wanted
    Metric
    Foster The People
    Thievery Corporation
    Electric Guest (good album!)
    POLICA
    Bastille
    Imagine Dragons
    Of Monsters And Men (good album!)
    Bob Marley

I do prefer chillout and electronic while dev'ing...

Cheers,

7. nick@Paintteh.com

May 20, 2013
    noob at painttehcastle.com
    I recomend Enigma or any decent jazz.
    Sometimes Iron Maiden ;)

8. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I do sometimes but in general I think it will help me work, but I soon realise I don't notice it if I am working well so I might as well be working in quiet. Plus I feel doing it makes me forget about sound and sound is like super important and takes games to the next level. average game with good sound often becomes a good game.

9. Chill Dude

Chill Dude Member

Jul 3, 2013
  10. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Hmm, lately it has been in flames, or Beethoven or I will just shuffle itunes.

11. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

I code in silence. Am I insane? :confused::confused::confused:

12. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    nope :)

you just concentrate.

13. Chill Dude

Chill Dude Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Actually I completely get it sometimes I have to turn everything off if I need to really really concentrate :)

14. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Brian Eno: On Land if I'm focussing.
    Marc Maron WTF podcasts if I'm doing simpler tasks.
    Lots of ear-bleeding random shuffle of my music library if I'm working on artwork.
    Inspiration from varying sources to keep it fresh.