Universal Tempest: Pirate Action RPG (by HeroCraft Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by HeroCraftGames, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Very true! Would also like to know if there's improvements.. looks fun, also curious what the PC downfalls were.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The game has a 71% positive on Steam, which is way, way above average for an indie game. Metacritic can be pretty misleading for a game like this because the score is often based on only a few professional reviews -- one dud can bring the ratings way down.

I also have to take exception with the whole "good for mobile" trope. It's not that people grade mobile games on a curve. It's that we find great value in game being available in our pockets at any time. It makes a decent game a much better one; it makes a great game a revelation.

That's actually why I'm looking forward to playing Skyrm on a Switch (when I finally find one) even though it's likely the worst version of the game.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I saw the game in App Shopper prior to buying and saw that 148Apps gave it 3 stars (out of 5), so I held back my impulse-purchase. They say there's no tight/deep story, but from what I read here you guys are enjoying it as if it's a 5 star game, and the description says there's a story. What's the game like then? Endless missions which aren't linked like iOS Assassin's Creed, or there's a story, a beginning and an end to the game?

4. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Is there any IAP or strictly premium?

5. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #25 yankeeblue000, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    I don't really see much as far as gameplay in most gameplay videos, but you're ship floating around looking for ships to battle. It's seems like a Pirate Ship battle arena game. You battle ships, upgrade you're ship, rinse & repeat. Seems a little shallow and pricey at that price point, especially that there are more than a handful of pirate ship games in the AppStore that already have this kind of gameplay and more. I've also read some of the reviews that are out for the pc versions. They're pretty average, maybe even below that if you take into account some of the reviews from YouTubers and social media outlets that are not officially reported or recognized.

I disagree that just because a game is made portable that it becomes a better experience. Imo, if a game is mediocre It will stay that way unless something is added to the game technically to give it added value. If not, it's still the same game. The truth of it is, that a lot of the times a game that is ported over to mobile from other platforms doesn't translate well to touch devices and becomes an even worse experience. I could be wrong that might not be the case for this game. This could be a good port. There are incredible portts, btw. Games that feel so natural & intuitive on touch devices that it feels that they were originally made for mobile. There could be something I'm missing that I haven't seen yet as far as this game is concerned. I'll keep digging. Hopefully someone here can shed some more light on the gameplay and objectives thru a gameplay video or with an entire breakdown of the game. I read there was exploration, but haven't seen any except in the way of you looking for other ships to battle. Is there a storyline? Are there other objectives besides destroying other ships & upgrading you're ship? Is there an endgame?

Anyway, I hope the people who bought it have fun with the game and share their experiences if they didn't. I know they will tho he he ;). For now I'll wait till they do and weigh the pros & cons before deciding, but I'm really looking forward to playing a good premium Pirates game. Could this be it?:confused::confused:

6. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I highly doubt the Switch version of Skyrim will be worse than the PS3 version...

But I hold by the "good for mobile" review predilection. The curve of which I speak doesn't include handheld console games like 3DS and Vita and their predecessors.

I think the F2P games have an even stronger curve where the grade is relative to other mobile F2P games. Take Fire Emblem Heroes, for example. It's a pretty awful Fire Emblem game when compared to the console and handhelds entries, but as a F2P "gacha" game it's one of the best.

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Yankee blue
    You are missing a lot in that synopsis
    This has some RPG elements as well as shops items
    It's titans quest esque but with pirates and ships
    True enough it is fun to just set sail and battle but there is quests etc and it's a lot deeper than that and more to it than that ive barely scratched the surface of it
    It's good

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Touché :).

"Good for handheld" is a very common expression in the gaming press. In fact, it even applies to whole systems: I've read many positive reviews about the Switch that excuse its shortcomings because it's "essentially" a handheld system.

I think you have a point here, but you can flip it for a different perspective. Personally, I think that FEH is a pretty mediocre F2P game, particularly compared to other F2P SRPGs like Nexon's Fantasy War Tactics. But the Fire Emblem and Nintendo brands lead people to grade it on a curve -- not to mention getting it coverage well beyond mobile gaming circles.

This is all off topic, so I'm not going to keep at it. I'm looking forward to spending time with Tempest in the next couple of days.

9. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    Is this entirely ship based? Or can one dock at a port and explore the islands on foot? If so, it's definitely an instabuy for me! I've never been good with vehicles in games due to some vision issues.

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    So you dont see other players for the single player part all out in the wild do you? Only if you go play PVP right?

11. yankeeblue000

Aug 29, 2016
    You absolutely right, I am missing a lot. I'm probably just going to have to try the game out for myself, especially after that comment of it being Titan Quest-esque. I love that game. I hope I didn't come off as negative, btw. Anyway, thanks for the advice :)

12. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Whoa, Titan's Quest esque? That's a large statement - is this a pirate ship game w tons of categorized loot?

Haha Yankee that caught my eye as well

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #33 anthony78, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Can't afford this right now but will keep it in mind.

I do agree that there are a lot of indie games that get ported to mobile that were not that great to begin with and all the sudden get a "wow it's on mobile!" bump that is unwarranted.

Of course there are tons of great indies ported to mobile that deserve the praise like Binding of Issac.

I don't get overly excited for ports Just because a game was on PC or console first doesn't make it a good game.

It actually goes the other way too. Many people see mobile games ported to PC or console and think they are crap. But that, obviously, is not always true either.

I judge a game based on the game no matter where it originated.

14. yankeeblue000

Aug 29, 2016
    One game that deserves recognition that jumped from mobile to pc/console that caught people by surprise on those platforms was Oceanhorn. I still have it on my Ipad and I bought it for Xbox One when it was released there.

15. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Is this a story driven game, with clear storyline
    Or only a naval based action ship battle?

16. Lowwolf

Lowwolf Member

May 17, 2012
    Okay, please explain. In what way is this "Titan's Quest-esque" because depending on what you mean that would represent a no-brained instabuy.

17. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Agreed. ##

18. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    sorry I can't recommend this at all. I don't even know to explain cause this game is so confusing.right from the beginning it just throws you in with no idea what to do and so much buttons and clutter with no idea what anything does. first quest days go to a different island and then you tap on the map to go there. after that it says buys some canon balls and then to Utah different places on the map again and then I think you finally get to fight? shows your ship and event ships but I don't even know what I'm doing. doesn't tell you how to attack or even move. the ship is just moving by itself and getting hit by enemy. I tried to reset the game multiple times to see if I missed a tutorial or something but no. maybe I'm just dumb and other people are enjoying it but I don't know,

19. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    That doesnt sound like my type of game lol

20. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Apparently every time you reset your game it's different? First time it said just go to a different island and now I tried again NOW IT TELLS ME how to shoot my canon. ok... this game is all over the place.. literally. brb maybe it will teach me more now