The Vegetable Patch

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by The Vegetable Patch, Sep 8, 2011.

1. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    In real life I work for a proper commercial game d
    UK (Leamington Spa)

We're making a neat little puzzle game that's all about experimenting with a little patch of vegetables!

Playing it is like being handed a little science kit, and as you tinker you'll learn more and more about how it works so you can grow ever more impressive crops of veg in just a tiny square patch!

It's a tricky game to explain, so instead of just doing a straight up trailer we got my mum and sister in law to do a sort of infomercial for us!

The version of the build in this is work-in-progress, but I hope it'll pique your interest and maybe you'll come Like us on Facebook, just so you can hear about the development as it happens!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vegetable-Patch/202712266436207

2. glossymanatee

glossymanatee New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    This looks pretty neat. How do you know when the vegetables are ripe for picking?

I like your unconventional viral too :)

3. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
    #3 The Vegetable Patch, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks!

We're planning on starting a Development/Tech blog soon so I'll post the link for that here too :D

[UPDATE : We've started the blog - see it here http://vegdev.blogspot.com/ ]

4. glossymanatee

glossymanatee New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Ah nice, liking the eyes! :)

Good luck with it all

5. DregsOnLegs

DregsOnLegs Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Secretary
    City
  6. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
    Just a note to say we've updated the Dev Blog some more for those of you who're interested in the process :D

http://vegdev.blogspot.com/

7. danythefreak

danythefreak Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Nice infomercial! the game reminded me of Farmville which i played on Facebook.... entertaining game....

8. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
    Yeah - we get a lot of comparisons to Farmville - but playing them is quite a lot different.

Our game is (in terms of your experience) closer to Doodle God timsed by Quake 3...

It's all about playing around with the ways the various elements of the game react and can be manipulated to reward you - then using your skills (all the skills are YOUR skills, not ones the game gives you) to be the most impressive gardener in the world!

9. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
  10. glossymanatee

glossymanatee New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    The graphics looks good but how do you play? Is it time based?

11. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
    Nope - not time based.

Explaining the game is one of the biggest challanges we're having at the moment, so it's no wonder it's coming over confusing.

THIS LINK : http://gaygamer.net/2011/09/inside_scoop_the_vegetable_gar.html#comments

Has a lot of details in it, and we're going to do a new trailer talking about this casual game's dirty little secret... It IS incredibly simple to get started and score your first 100, 1000, 10000 points. It IS cute and attractive and accessible to everyone. It IS all about a slightly different kind of fun to what people are used to, exploramentation and the delisious thrill of discovery...

BUT, if you spend some time with it, you will see that there's the supercondensed beating heart of a seriously hardcore turn based strategy lurking at its core... For advanced players, the game is going to give you all the satisfaction of a real brain-engaging highly tactical strategy title, but condensed into a pick-up-and-play mobile friendly, bus stop friendly, kettle-boil friendly 25 turns (i.e. 3-5 minutes).

We've not yet worked out how to put all this into a trailer yet so we've focused mostly on the casual side of it in all our PR stuff... but for those of you who're interested in a real brain work out - there's a giant one hidden inside this mum-friendly casual gardening game...

12. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
  13. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
  14. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
  15. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)
    Exciting times - we've added a new vegetable to the game, and it's an EVIL vegetable!

The public voted to add Cucumber Crowley the Cucumbermancer to the game. Will YOU be up to the challange of maintaining a faustian pact with him without being dragged down by his warlocky-wiles?

[​IMG]

Why not take a look at the other Cucumbermancers that Crowley beat in the vote on the facebook page?
    http://www.facebook.com/TheVegetablePatch

16. The Vegetable Patch

Sep 8, 2011
    UK (Leamington Spa)