Universal Blood Roofs - (by Gamesmold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Donald

Donald Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Graphics is superb. I will play it.

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The camera angle is anything but ideal.
    Besides that.... WOW... but an amazingly beautiful endless runner.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #143 Vovin, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

The female characters should unlock as wallpapers for your iDevice after reaching a pre-defined goal! :)

The monster design is outstanding... finally not your usual zombies. Some are even a bit lovecraftian.
    The Temple-thing looks like a shoggoth with a funny hat. Impressive.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks.

I think it's a good idea that you post monster images or silhouettes (to avoid spoiling them) with their names so that we have a sense of "something to work on" by aiming to kill those bosses to complete the achievements.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Another suggestion (previous post with some small suggestions for the touch-only interface here) would be to use swipes as much as possible. Sideways swipes/finger movement for sidestepping (as per the previous suggestion), upwards swipes for jumps, perhaps a downward swipe for some other function/boost, and you'll just have to squeeze in one or two graphical UI button elements on the screen.

Together with fully moveable (and perhaps resizeable) UI elements, this could become quite the power-setup.

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #146 Greyskull, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    I've got two quick suggestions (or requests, if I'm the only one who agrees with myself...which is often ;)

1) I have the the controls reversed, though it doesn't seem to matter which way I'm playing. For some reason, I'm always accidentally hitting the "boost" powerup when I meant to jump. Maybe I have fat fingers; either way I am playing on a small screen (4S).

That's the only powerup I accidentally enable. Could it be placed a bit higher on the screen?

2). Since the GUI elements are very small on an iPhone, I think that having a larger jump indicator (how many wing flaps you have remaining) would be usefull. As it is, I just guess how many I have left, and am occasionally wrong.

Instead of just making it larger, I think a change in it's design would be a great benefit. As it is, it can be hard to tell how many airial jumps the player can make, especially after picking up a temporary powerup.

Instead of a bar, how about using a circle? It would work like a pizza: before performing a double jump, it would be full. After floating or double jumping, a slice of the circle would be removed; its size in accordance with how powerful the player's wings are.

Just tossing out two ideas here...I haven't played on an iPad, so I don't know whether or not it would make a difference at that size/resolution.

Oh yeah, one last thing...you might want to tone down the "sheen" effect, especially on the player and rough cobblestone. It looks a bit goofy. These surfaces don't look wet (at least on an iPhone 4S); they just look like the artist applied a layer he couldn't resist using. If there was a directional lightsource which affected the angle and degree of sheen, I could see the inclusion of it.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    2). Since the GUI elements are very small on a iPhone, I think a larger jump indicator (how many wing flaps you have remaining) would be usefull. As it is, I just guess how many I have left, and am occasionally wrong.

The second red bar with the wings icon tells you that. If you have 3 flaps, it'll drain 1/3rd of the entire bar until you use it 3 times, and refreshes when you land.

EDIT: I reread your post and realized my post above was insignificant. LOL

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh... I found another glitch... Pretty minor though. Going to controls options from the main menu does not sync with the controls option from the ingame pause.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I think the reason I hit the boost button so often (on accident) has nothing to do with the size of the button. I'm pretty sure that its the size of the hitbox that surrounds the button. Can somebody confirm that you can miss hitting the button to boost and still activate the powerup?

10. Gamesmold

Gamesmold Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
  11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
  12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nice! Congrats!

BTW, i also chose this as my Game of the Week on the TA GotW thread. :)

13. Gamesmold

Gamesmold Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks a lot!
    Just checked that poll out... Seems like it's on second place right behind Drakerider.
    But looks like no chance to overtake that one... :)

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I guess, but i chose this over Drakerider, as Blood Roofs pulls me away from Drakerider more often than not. LOL.

Definitely an instant favorite, and one that'll be on my device forever.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sigh. I hope the update for a fix for jailbroken devices comes out soon. It becomes a little tiring having only Lv1 or 2 permanent wings, when you know youve maxed it 4 times now.

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm now 5th on the distance list...and shoulda been higher, damn buildings and stuff :(

6th on the score list as well.

Someone earlier in this thread said that they thought you couldn't blind the Running Temple. (see what I did there, wink wink nudge nudge ;))

That can't be right; there is an achievement for doing just that.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have damaged the eye a little, but i can see he lost a slither of life from my constant attacks... But the damage is too little. Never got to a 3rd round with him in one run.

18. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I voted for Blood Roofs too :)

Good idea adding the tips and tricks list at the beginning of this thread.

I'm a bit worried though that some potential customers might not take a chance on this game, given some of the gameplay videos. For example, watch the vid of Touch Arcade posted of them playing the game. They never made it past the train, let alone made it to a boss. Judging strictly by that video, one would assume that Blood Roofs is just another endless runner...I personally don't even consider this to be in the "endless runner" genre; I believe a more apropos description would be a "3d platformer/shooter hybrid".

19. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, can someone tell me how to access survival mode the "other way"? I assume you mean from the start. I have survival mode unlocked, but haven't figured out how to play it as a mode, as opposed to just continuing to play after I finish story mode.

20. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Use the right entrance.