EA, is it really that hard!?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by natedogg213, Mar 15, 2011.

1. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Am I really asking for that much when it comes to the lack of an inverted look option in Battlefield: BC2? N.O.V.A. had the same issue; it took months to "patch" it. Get a clue, this has been a standard option in FPS since the late 90s for s**t's sake!

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Dead Space didn't have it either and I almost got tarred and feathered for allowing Brad to mention that the controls need additional options in our review. ;)

3. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I don't understand if it is just laziness by developers or what. This option is about as standard as it gets and is a simple fix. Are we inverted control players a dying breed!?

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I am the only person I know who prefers inverted controls!

5. WaterPocket

WaterPocket Member

Mar 8, 2011
    It's not laziness, it's more "unnecessary" I suppose. I mean, sure it's simple, but do the devs really need to add one thing for such a small audience of people? If it's something for colorblindness or on those lines then I understand that, but inverted controls isn't necessary since one can easily adapt to normal controls. Though I do understand that you'd prefer inverted controls, not all devs keep that into consideration while making the game.

6. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I don't think we are as small a minority as you think. I mean name one console or pc shooter that doesn't have the inversion option. You can't think of any because there are none!! After 15 years of inverted play, adapting to normal is like switching to my weak hand. I become useless. If EA gave a damn about their products post-release this would be easily remedied. But they are a gaming conglomerate so it is what it is. That's the beauty of the app store though. I'll skip on the next EA shooter that pulls this and spend my money elsewhere, these indie devs would surely be willing to accomodate this simple request.

7. WaterPocket

WaterPocket Member

Mar 8, 2011
    But you have to understand, the majority of players don't use inverted controls. If there was a high demand in inverted controls like there are in PC games then I'm sure they'd implement it, but there's not.

8. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Ummm....I think that developers just forget about implementing such an option....As there really is such a small minority that prefers it.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Allright, what's the problem then when it comes to their sports games? They just can't seem to get them right on the IOS. I've got a feeling they just don't care about it! I don't want to create a huge wall of text here right now, but suffice to say all the major sports games have had big problems that they don't bother to fix no matter how much noise gamers make to have them fixed! If you've played 'em, you know what I'm talking about! It's always pissed me off! For a company as huge as it is and the capabilities it obviously has, what other reason could it be? Charge a lot for their games up front, and no updates? Unless, of course if it's some IAP they want you to buy! They're assholes!! It's that simple!!

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure Fifa 2011, Madden 2011, and NBA Jam are the best sports games by a mile for the iOS..

No, they're not assholes. It's just that the AppStore is probably 1% or less of where their revenue is coming from. They don't have to care.

11. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    I use to be a big Inverted Controls type of person (for games like Halo, CoD, etc.) but somehow, I got use to using the normal way and have been using it ever since. Anyways, It's quite strange to hear that all these big-name companies that create massive games on console, disregard imputting a simple feature into an iTouch game.

12. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Im just glad that they're taking the app store more seriously, you can tell they mean business with the sports games mentioned above and other games like Dead Space. Though I'm still annoyed that they are not delivering what they promised for FIFA 11, I at least wanted a be a pro mode but all they give me is some stinkin local multiplayer.

13. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    It is not that they can't, iDoubt that its about the demand aswell
    Its about spending time, if EA spends time & adds a lil' more of coding, how can they work on a new project at the same time? :D

14. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    EA has been doing a great job. They giving you more than enough for what you pay for. People keep bringing up consoles ,console games are $50-$70 dollars of course the console version will have more options. EA is giving you , your moneys worth. This isnt charity ,they have development cost too. Probaly when IOS games reach around $10-$12 then you get all the options you want.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I did a poll on AIM of a few iPhone devs I talk to regularly. The general consensus is inverted controls take around 10 lines (or less) of code. There's really no excuse.

16. MrPenguin9

MrPenguin9 Active Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Yep, as long as the game is programmed well, which I'm sure EA does, it could be implemented with roughly 5 or 6 lines of code.

(I'm a dev)

17. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Pro Tip: don't buy their stuff, then.

Problem solved.

18. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    The whole point of this thread is that EA is not giving me a standard control feature so I am not getting value for what I paid for. If I had known this feature, which I had no reason to expect would be missing, would be unavailable I would not have purchased it in the first place. All I ask is that EA add those extra 6-10 lines of code to invert the controls. This isn't exactly a game changer, and as I said before, every modern PC and console FPS known to man has this standard option so this is not a fringe feature that should be easily dismissed. Rage, COD: Zombies, NOVA, NY Zombies, and others all have this feature.

Also, your notion that EA is giving us our money's worth is debatable, likely on a game by game basis. At the macro level, they have a budget and sale price established to get them an XX percent profit. They must stay within that restriction, and profit does not go back to the app. Also, you cannot compare console games with multi-million development budgets to iOS games' meager budgets. Battlefield Bad Company 2 for PC/consoles is laughably better than its iOS cousin. But that's cool, we accept that we are getting a product that fits within the framework of the iphone, even if it's watered down. But unlike the PC and console, we are not a big enough market for them to care about continuous post-purchase support and improvements. I accept this though, EA is the Wal-Mart of gaming and is solely a profit-hungry machine so we aren't going to get the golden treatment that we get from developers of games such as Tilt to Live, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and countless other games that actually give a rat's ass about their consumers.

19. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Amount of EA games I brought
    1 Dead Space
    Amount of Sega games I brought
    Amount of gameloft games I brought
    Around 6
    Amount of capcom games
    Amount of games from indie developers
    50+
    Why?
    Research ,research , research, what your buying.Read descriptions , read reviews from various places before investing in a game. Also use common sense of course big companies arent going to give even standard features unless there is guarentee of big payoffs. IOS is chump change to them , if they do an update ,you better believe its because they made a large some of money already.
    The same way people complain about spending over a dollar ,they complain they only got 2 million dollars profit. Plus the issue you bring up isnt a big deal to most gamers , even though it would be nice to have. I played games with all types of controls and adjust easy , so do many game players.

20. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    For some reason the only time I like inverted controls is when I play games like Galaxy on Fire or Starfox. LOL everything else, I have it the standard way. Weird, I know.