iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. waxlabo

waxlabo New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Raiden Legacy has iCade support! :)

2. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Cool—looks great! And vertical too!

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Active Soccer supports iCade. It's great without it.

4. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Good to know. It’s this one, right (not Active Soccer Challenge)?

http://appshopper.com/games/active-soccer

By the way, I just noticed that the iPad will connect to multiple bluetooth keyboards at once. Could be nice for games where one player uses the stick and another uses the buttons, but the main reason it’s useful: it gives you a way to type (player names, searches, iTunes PW) without unlinking the iCade or waiting for it to sleep.

Not as nice as having the software keyboard available, though—which CAN be done whilt a BT keyboard is connected (Textastic has a button for that) but I’ve never seen a game do it.

I’m thinking that if/when I finish my game(s) I’ll TRY to include some iCade button combo that will toggle the software keyboard; like pressing all 4 black buttons together without touching the stick. That’s unlikely to happen in actual gameplay, so it could be used across multiple different games as an informal “standard” of sorts. Haven’t tried it yet. (Better yet would be if the hardware would send the “show keyboard” signal like the button on Apple’s old dock—but iCade doesn’t have that feature.)

5. Allisonaxe

Allisonaxe New Member

May 8, 2012
    I was just given an 8-bitty as an early Xmas present. It's great, but so many games either don't support icade when running on an iPhone, or have very strange mappings (partly due to the bit where it's buttons are placed oddly in comparison to the full size cabinet)

A plea to developers: the 8-bitty is awesome! But flawed because of its unusual mappings. But with minimal work you should be able to create an option where thr player could pick which icade device they have, and it customizes the buttons to be morecomfortable for that device. If I know a game supports my choice of controls, I would definitely be more apt to spend money on it!

6. makaGeorge

makaGeorge Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Just managed to find the information about the button layout and it's so weird... I'm thinking that with so many different controllers, each with a different layout, maybe the best would be to just let players configure button layout completely... otherwise you'd have to update the game each time a new iCade "compatible" controller comes out...

I use the two red icade buttons in my game because I leave the other six for the second player but also because those two map to the a and b buttons on the GameDock. With the 8bitty those buttons map to one of the select/start buttons and a shoulder button... pretty hard to play like that I think...

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm the opposite, i dont like using the two red buttons as theyre the closest ones to the joystick. Need to space it out a bit more, eg the white or 2nd column of black buttons.

Its a pain so many games have different layouts specially on the 8-bitty where you have to use the shoulder buttons a lot. Its still great though but could be improved for many games. But i'm thankful for any iCade support we get

8. yellowknife

yellowknife Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    The classic iCade is pretty playable with most button configs out there. I am thinking that developers (who don't want to do button mapping options) should just base it on whatever is best for 8 bitty. This would make most people happy.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I must admit the first thing i tried was iMAME and the buttons on the 8-bitty were fine for that so that was the main app i wanted working. Others such as some platformers (Think Mos Speedrun was one) had a shoulder button for jump which is a pain but thankfully MAME is okay

10. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
    What do the select and start buttons default to on 8-bitty in iMAME (when selecting iCade in options)? One would hope it was 1P coin and 1P start. I guess if this is not the case, then iMame developer could add 8-bitty as a separate config in options, i.e. you would have choice of iCade classic, 8-bitty and iControlPad.

11. makaGeorge

Apr 27, 2012
    Until the Gamedock comes out... then games that base their layout on the 8bitty will be unplayable on the GameDock...

The GameDock uses the two red iCade buttons as A and B and the two white as Start and Select. The black buttons are unmapped, and the first column of red buttons in the 8bitty maps to those black buttons on the iCade...

So in order to be compatible with all three you have to either make a setting where you can choose which controller you have or just make a screen where the player can configure the controls as they see fit...

12. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
    Well seeing as the GameDock doesn't appear to be in production yet, I hope they choose to make their button layout as compatible with 8-bitty as possible. Hard to do though with having only 2 main face buttons.

Anyone interested on GameDock can check it out here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cascadiagames/gamedock-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-devices

13. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Rather than see GameDock follow 8-Bitty, I’d rather see 8-Bitty come to its senses and gain a more standard iCade layout in a “version 2!” The mistake has been made, and it’s bad for current 8-Bitty owners, but they can still play (more or less) even if the mistake is later corrected.

Anyway, GameDock does look neat.

Another solution, of course, is for developers to just use very few button functions (generally true anyway) and find a layout that puts Fire, say, on multiple different buttons—something for everyone.

14. makaGeorge

Apr 27, 2012
    Problem is the the GameDock's layout has been decided already and there are games out that already support it...

15. makaGeorge

Apr 27, 2012
    BTW, what I'd like to see is more games supporting 2 players on the iCade. There are many games that could work well, like games where the only controls are left and right and one or two action buttons.

I tried it with my own game and it works perfectly. If a game supports the GameDock it's very easy to add this. Just a matter of changing 2 lines... or full customization can be added so that the game supports all possible controllers and 2 players both on the Gamedock and iCade (and any future controllers of this kind)

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Or how about iCade + Joypad? No second controller needed, but both players have all the buttons they want. (With more work from the dev. I’m not promising to do this myself :) )

17. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
    #1357 yellowknife, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    I can confirm Fix-It Felix no longer works with iCade. It used to before last update which is frustrating.

Wreck-It Ralph includes the Fix-It Felix game from what I understand, but costs 99c.

Can anyone confirm Wreck-It Ralph has iCade support that's still working?

Edit: Just tested latest version 1.1 of Wreck-It Ralph and iCade does not work here either.

18. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Dangit! I was hoping to buy this game when I get my Icade set up.

19. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1359 Alextended, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    I've ordered an iCade (original style, not Core or anything) for my brother in law (we're weird and give presents on New Year's instead of Christmas, hopefully it will have arrived by then) and I'm looking for some great titles to get him started.

For now I'm only looking for ports and games that are truly great, in that they will perform well on iPad2 which we both have, disable any on screen controls when played on the iCade (I suppose this is not a must if the game has borders due to the aspect ratio and shows the controls on there), look great without (or merely optional) blurry graphics filters, control great with the iCade and more than anything they have to be amazing games that will make the best impression for the platform with no annoyances in interface, gameplay (credits balance!), stability, performance, or anything else negative, to sour the first experience of the present at all.

So far I've been looking at Raiden Legacy and Metal Slug 1 and 3. I was told the Raiden Legacy ports are really great but I can't find iCade information for Metal Slug 1 and 3. Not even a youtube video of either.

I was also considering Pac-Man but it seems there's no modern version (like CE) available for iPad (there is one for iPhone) and I read the controls aren't 100% responsive on iCade. Has that been fixed, or did Ms. Pac-Man not suffer from it?

What other true greats can people recommend for me? Normally I wouldn't go for some shmups but Raiden Legacy isn't like that and the games I played at the arcade were super fun, more Aero Fighters style than anything like R-Type or bullet hell.

They don't have to be real classics (I checked the catalogue for SNK, Capcom, SEGA, Taito, Namco, etc and the offerings are really disappointing, I was surprised by the lack of classics, I thought there are more, but never cared to search for such games because without having an iCade or other controller they'd be useless anyway, but yeah, it's crazy there's no great port of Shock Troopers, King of Fighters, Pang, Bust-A-Move, Shinobi, 1943, Aero Fighters, Street Fighter 2, Baku Baku Animals, etc, and what in God's name did they do to Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3's graphics) just have that kind of awesome feel to them. For example I see Velocispider has great pixel art (not those awful flash-like graphics some indie games have) and a very retro look and feel, though I'm not sure it's a game suitable for him without having played it myself.

He probably won't like the more simplistic 80s games either, unless they were some amazing stuff like Galaga and Pac-Man, which further reduces the selection available I guess. Games like the original Space Invaders or Asteroids tend to lack in the excitement factor by comparison to the later arcade games from the companies I mentioned. The same for those challenge style platform games that have a huge supply of very samey levels to go through.

The present has to be for my sister too, hence games like arcade Pac-Man, Tetris, Bubble Bobble and Bust-A-Move would be great, or any other girl/unisex friendly games, but they still have to meet the requirements I outlined.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry for being so picky, but the first tries have to be as close to perfect as possible. After they get used to it they can choose their own games, buy slightly less polished stuff, etc, at will.

Oh yeah, I happen to already have some compatible games, like Swordigo which is nice despite being ugly but nothing amazing. It's crazy that Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Sonic CD and others don't support it (as far as I know).

20. Alextended

Alextended Member

Dec 26, 2012
    No replies... I've settled on these to start the iCade goodness with...

League of Evil 1 or 2, Metal Slug 3, Raiden Legacy, Dynamite Jack and Velocispider.

I didn't find much of value in those Atari/Midway/Namco arcades personally.

A couple of these are kind of filler going against some of my guidelines, there just didn't seem to be more greats.

I also bought Katana Jack, Silverfish Max, AirAttack HD and PaperMonsters but I don't think I'll be giving them these right away for a first impression. They don't seem very good, unless iCade really elevates them.

But yeah, I remember Bomb Jack being way superior to Katana Jack in everything and especially controls and level design. And it's kind of obnoxious with its "drawn on iPad" crap all over. I don't care, I just wanna play a fun game. Silverish Max is way too barebones but could be fun if they get hooked. AirAttack HD has a bad perspective that makes your shots narrow as they advance which means being all the way to the bottom left of the screen and firing won't actually hit enemies on the top left of it, you'll miss by a mile. It pales in comparison to the Raiden games regardless. And PaperMonsters seems to lack in level design. I'll need to finish more levels to know but those constant slopes just look boring.

But yeah gonna keep these away for when they get bored of the first great batch.

I've tried all of them (without iCade yet) and Raiden is a very great port, I hope DotEmu do more iCade supported games, and not just shmups. KoF-i 2012 is taunting me by being iPhone only yet showing iPad screens too.

Anyway, am I missing a truly sweet iCade gem that wasn't suggested yet?

I'm still missing a game my sister would like more though. Shame Tetris doesn't support iCade.

But yeah, seeing the selection I really hope we'll get a Jailbreak for 6.0.2 or 6.1 if they're waiting for that to unveil their exploits on so I can get some more decent use out of it for them with the various emulators.