iPhone Cybogeddon 2048 (iPad) ...Robotron type clone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mobile Amusements, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Mobile Amusements

Mobile Amusements Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Mobile & Indie Games Developer
    United Kingdom
  2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Looks interesting, would love a little more info. :)

3. Mobile Amusements

Mar 27, 2009
    United Kingdom
    :) It's basically Robotron for iPad but not actually Robotron of course.

Having developed a real Robotron port to GBA in the past, there's not much to say other than it's a side project we are now developing for iPad and hopefully it will do the the original game justice even with touch control limitations.

Nothing from Robotron will be used in the project however and everything is being designed with that in mind given copyright issues that could potentially surface otherwise - i.e. we don't want to go there.

www.mobileamusements.com

4. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    I've never heard of Robotron before but it sounds good to me. Has the development just started?

5. Mobile Amusements

Mar 27, 2009
    United Kingdom
    No problem but suffice to say it's one of the greatest video games of all time.

Yes development only started a few days ago and in the background of other projects... in fact there is no way of knowing if this clone game app will be allowed on the app store later, but we are going to do it anyway whatever the outcome - it needs to be done :)

www.mobileamusements.com

6. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok, well good luck and I look forward to any future info! :)

7. Mike_011972

Mike_011972 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Best game ever!!!

Well if it's half as good as the original Robotron, I'll be buying it for sure. Loved the arcade machine and wasted so much time and cash on it.
    Is it going to be an almost straight port (different gf/x of course) or are you going to include power ups and the like?
    Is it going to be twin pads or tilt to move and either a single pad for shooting (or touch screen for shooting) or some other combination?

Also, what about a couple of screen shots from the game? If you want any gf/x doing for it, I would be willing (not done any retro style gf/x since the ST / Amiga days).

I'm actually really excited about this. Surprised that Williams / Midway or who ever owns the rights now hasn't ported across all the Williams arcade classics to the iDevices. I think I would buy then without even thinking about it.

Cheers,
    Mike.

8. Mobile Amusements

Mar 27, 2009
    United Kingdom
    We want to keep it a 'close relative' of the original and legendary Robotron but it will not be an exact copy of the game no.

There are only a couple of ways the control system will work in reality on touch screen and options will be provided for the player to choose which suits best.

The app is in early development and screenshots will be provided in this thread as they emerge. All graphics are being developed here but thank you for you kind offer anyway ok.

It's a shame that the original IP owner has not done this yes and also because of this, is why we want to bring a 'version' to iDevice's. It will not be the original as I said though and a fair bit will be different in terms of name, graphics and sound at least.

Thanks,

www.mobileamusements.com

9. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Sold.

My all time favorite arcade game - I cannot wait.

10. Mobile Amusements

Mar 27, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Neither can we :) but just hope it's allowed to stay on the App store later as we've all seen previous clones of other games taken down. Hence why it will be similar but also different hopefully. Our mission is not to rip 'anybody' off regards potential IP or copyright issues, rather just get a decent working version of the project done for iPad above all else.

We will go as close as possible but not too close for comfort with the end game design - the play area will be true square for starters not rectangle.

Thanks,

www.mobileamusements.com

11. Mobile Amusements

Mar 27, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #11 Mobile Amusements, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  12. appman2010

appman2010 Member

Sep 1, 2010
    KillaTron 2112 Apple App Store (Robotron Style)

Check out KillaTron 2112, it's a game in the style of Robotron...It's a retro fast pased dual joystick arcade game, for Iphone, Ipod Touch and Ipad.

13. Mobile Amusements

Mar 27, 2009
    United Kingdom
    That's very good actually and along with that fact that we just moved and are reviewing current projects, are 2 reasons why we have since shelved the project now.

14. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    You're on the right track - it's certainly fun, but definitely needs some refinement in places. It's actually easier then Robotron - kept earning lives.. the graphics need an overhaul ('cept the mushrooms), and re-spwaning into instant death - not good. There should an enemy half second pause while your player materializes. The respawn sound is incorrect. That's more like the sound when those Dr. Brain freaks first appear in Robotron and not the standard level entry sound. That sound should be reserved for certain levels that are more unusual than others.

Overall - lots of potential - I'll be watching this one!