OmnomBot - the carnivorous robot by Milkman Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by milkmangames, Jul 8, 2011.

1. milkmangames

milkmangames Well-Known Member

#1 milkmangames, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    Update: Added short gameplay video preview:

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here but I wanted to share the game I'm working on (first iOS game.) It's about a hungry robot named OmnomBot who doesn't want to eat his vegetables. One-button, fast action, high-scoring game.

Here's some screenshots to check out! I look forward to getting involved with the TA community.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little something meaty:
    [​IMG]

This is a special tomato powerup:
    [​IMG]

The purple hula hoop with white polka dots is actually a broccoli proof forcefield.
    [​IMG]

-Alex

2. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    hehe, very cool.
    I really enjoy that full and rich prerendered 3d look you have going on there.
    But I'm wondering they the robot itself is a big edgy around the top parts.
    Would look so much better if it was rounded and highpolygonal as the rest looking.
    But very polished quality you have so far. Interest exists for gameplay information or videos ;)

3. milkmangames

Thanks Acumen!

Yeah, I like to make things kind of look somewhere between pixar and squishy claymation.

Good catch about the edges- I'll fix that up.

Video coming soon!

4. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    That is exactly the look I love too, however fail to realize due to lack of rendering or material knowledge and overall lazyness ;)
    The shiny parts are just enough to give away that "plastic look". Consider me being jealous :D

5. milkmangames

First video

Made a video of some wave 1 gameplay (and so you can see what happens when you eat a broccoli- uh ohs!!)

6. Fingerbanger

Fingerbanger Member

Dec 17, 2009
    San Francisco
    nice and polished one finger fun!

Easy and fun with great polish. Kid digs it a lot!

7. milkmangames

haha thanks. Kids hate broccoli...

8. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    This robot charactor was totally based off a real person MY HUSBAND

9. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Vegetables are healthy! :p

It looks like a fun game though. :)

10. milkmangames

Haha, thanks, TheCatsMeow, now you know my secret!

Thanks Photics. They are very healthy, OmnomBot is just ornery. He has a vegan cousin, Ted, I'll show you soon though - he loves his veg!!

11. milkmangames

quick Question - how much (if any) do you guys generally care about an app being universal (supporting iPad as well as iPhone?) I wouldn't be making a separate iPad version, just a question of whether it's an iPhone/Touch only binary.

12. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I think it's a good idea to make a universal binary. I'm not sure, but I think it helps with sales/ranking.

13. milkmangames

Meet the meat

[​IMG]

14. milkmangames

Just finished adding the Enchanted Sausage, and now this little guy.

Find him to start Tomato Madness, master that and he's the secret to unlocking VEGAN MODE!

[​IMG]

15. milkmangames

a few testers

I'm looking for a handful of testers for this game. I'm particularly interested in getting some feedback on the basic gameplay from gamers (as I've mostly been testing with casual types.)

If the game sounds/looks appealing to you, you've tested unreleased games using ad hoc before (preferably with a testflight account), and you're interested in trying it and answering some questions, shoot me an email saying so (info att milkman games dot com.)

16. milkmangames

Purple Hula Hoop

This purple floating hula hoop with white polka dots is actually an impenetrable vegetable forcefield from beyond the stars. And it has polka dots.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    looks cute on first sight in the video.. but in the big picture the robo looks oddly cut out with some white pixels on his edges that could need a clean up.. maybe even render him with the original backdrop so you get some nice reflections of it on the bot..

also the flight path of the food is very unnatural..

as for the title wasn't the little green critter in cut the rope called om nom?

18. This game looks fantastic, love the design!

19. milkmangames

Thanks for the comments Mr. Ugly!

You're right about the aliasing, those images are old. Game's been much improved since then, I'll post some new videos very soon!

Yes, you're right, that green guy is named Omnom. I didn't know that til somebody else told me, but I'm not going to change the name. These things happen, I'm not going to concern myself about it either way. One of my other (not ios) games was released 2 years ago, and in the IGF one year ago. The same year, a game with a very similar concept (that was released after) won over it. What's worse, somebody registered the title of that game on iTunes Connect before I could (and it's a very unusual title.) But whatever...people have the same ideas sometimes.

20. milkmangames

Thanks Gavin! Can't wait to show more.