Would you play a game with headphones on if it advised you to?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by conlan, Sep 19, 2011.

?

Would you play a game with headphones on if it advised you to?

1. Yes, of course! I want the most immersive gaming experience possible.

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. One step ahead; I always play games with headphones on!

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Depends on the game, but not likely...

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Doesn't matter / don't care. I always mute game music and sound FX.

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. conlan

conlan Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mobile Developer
    California
    #1 conlan, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    If a game told you that it was experienced better using headphones, how likely would you be to put them on?

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    If it were a better experience, then why not?

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I'm usually too lazy to get them anyways.
    But if I know the music is good/immersive (ie Oddy Smog) I'll put them on.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I usually play with all sounds off..in case others are trying to talk to me.. ;) lol

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There should be another option:
    "Probably, but depends on the game."

6. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    When the game specifically tells me to, it usually means that the creators put a lot of effort into the music/sound, so I will most likely listen. Developers haven't really abused that yet.

7. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    I do for Sword and Sworcery. Other than that, no other game has told me to use headphones. I still do, if the game has music that the iPhone's speakers can't do justice to.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You don't own Dead Space? Canabalt? The list goes on. I usually just use the iPod's speakers, but if the game explicitly tells me to use headphones for the best gaming experience, I'll definitely do it.

9. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I usually play games with my headphones on,because the sound is a lot better and I can hear everything. Some have incredible music though and I love listening to the beat and b-a-s-s bass. I played S&S with my phone hooked up to my surround sound it was Awesome thats all I have to say.

10. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Yeah, especially Dead Space! All in all I think it depends on the type of game or devs recommendation.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Dead Space, god if you don't have or play with headphones you're missing out. :p

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    In a lot of cases, the reason games ask you to wear headphones is because they rely on sound rather than gameplay - so I'd avoid those games!

However, games like Dead Space, I guess I'd wear 'phones for a while just to see how immersive an iOS game could be. But I'd not go out of my way to get 'phones.

Plus, iOS is mostly casual, social gaming, so I'm likely to be having a conversation or watching TV whilst playing.

13. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sure would!

Rage HD is SOOOOOO much more immersive with my noise cancelling headphones. Absolutely awesome :)

14. Actually, sound design is a very important part of game design and is a useful tool for giving player additional player. Any game that actively uses sound as part of its game design gets bonus points in my books. So often, sound design is forgotten and added at the last minute to games, when it can be just as important as graphics :)

Personally though, I don't play games with my headphones much, but that's partly because I need to use an extension cable for my headphones and don't always carry it around. When it's to hand, I will use headphones, just because it immerses me in the music and sound more.

15. coconutxyz

coconutxyz Member

Jul 8, 2011
    dead space made me do so

16. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I used headphones for cannibalt a few times, I think I also did for Dead Space but I deleted that game after a few days because it was horrible and wasting a ton of space on my iPad.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Might give it a go but at the end of the day it depends on where i am. On a train i'll have headphones on anyway (I'm not one of those idiots who plays games on his phone/ipod with music blasting out annoying everyone), if i'm sat in a room with my wife and shes watching tv i'll put headphones on or mute the sound.

Normally i would just have the music turned up but it just depends on where i am. Not a huge fan of wearing headphones for games

18. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    But what sort of headphones are you using?

I find the normal ear buds and small over the ear ones to be inferior, well after buying DJ style over the ear uber cool noise cancelling ones I do. I actually prefer them to my home stereo now!

19. danythefreak

danythefreak Member

Sep 20, 2011
    The music is annoying sometimes.. i keep it mute B4 i start a game.. no use of earphones for me...