If a "full" game came to the iPhone/iTouch...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SoCal_Sponger, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Would you pay $30-40 for a full game

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Maybe/Depends on the game

66 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. I'll wait for a price drop

11 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #1 SoCal_Sponger, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    would you pay the quality price of $30-40 like a normal DS or PSP game?

Full game as in complete, long story, top-notch graphics, vast replayability, online multiplayer, leaderboard/achievements, gameplay depth, etc (not all of those features included).

For example: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars costs $35 for the DS and $40 for PSP. Would you pay around that price for it on the iDevice?

Poll edit: IF YOU CHOOSE "I'll wait for a price drop", keep in mind (for this hypothetical question) the price may never drop, but if it does drop, it could only drop $5-10 and could take a couple months.

2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Nah, I'd pay $15-$20. Cause it wouldn't fit the App Store price range and wouldn't appeal to the casual gamer.

3. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

sure! if is good enough that is

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If it's my type of game and the reviews are favorable, no prob.

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    This is the reason I would never own a DS or PSP.

6. ticookie

ticookie Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Gameloft's port of Assassin's Creed is actually the full DS version of the game, and was improved upon. The $30 price at the beginning for the DS game was obviously not seen when Gameloft ported it at $10.

7. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    If it is a high quality game, like it was described, yes. If it's the same game as on the PsP or DS why should we get to pay a lot less? (I would like that, but it just wouldn't happen. :p) If we aren't willing to pay more, then we'll just keep getting the watered down versions of games. :D

8. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    With one exception I guess... XD But yeah....

9. JediOne

JediOne Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    $20 (US) is more reasonable

I'd be willing to pay $20 US for a full game as there is no physical media associated with games on the iDevices...:eek:

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Tricky questions, because the kind of games I'd buy on a DS/PSP are the ones that wouldn't work so well on the iPhone, mainly due to lack of buttons and the fact virtual d-pads are my sworn enemy. So the only "full" game that I felt controlled well would probably be a puzzle game... which we have already, and which I don't buy on DS because I don't wanna spend that much on puzzles.

Confusing stuff.

11. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    A $30-40 DS or PSP game gets you a physical product, meaning a disk or cartridge with the packaging and everything. That may not matter to you but I don't think people are psychologically willing to pay that price for a download.

Plus the bar has already been set low.. $10 seems to be the max people are willing to pay right now for a game, and that's the exception... I don't think you can change people's expectations at this point.

12. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    No. 'nuff said.

13. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    No. Simply, because that's more profit for Apple. (the 30%)

14. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I would only pay $35 for a Khalid Shaikh app.

15. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    No. It's an iPod Touch for crying out loud. The game will have a putrid control interface, most likely be a brief and frustrating experience. Those games don't belong on the iPhone. For the moment- and maybe forver. The only game I would ever pay for would be an adequate and very stunning port of Fallout 1/2.

16. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Dude, there are already some full games ported from the DS to the iPod Touch, and they are only about $5. Although I wish there were PSP games ported. All they'd have to do is turn the LOD down for the 1st and 2nd gen models.

I guarantee that games like that will come to the iPhone within the next year.

Not for a GTA game. Gang$tar is said to have a fifteen hour story by PocketgamerUK, and will most likely be $10. Gameloft has worked on the game for over a year. That being said, I wouldn't pay $40 afterwards for a GTA game on my iDevice.

If you mean "bigger games" as in made by bigger companies, I'll pass for now. After seeing what Square Enix, Konami, Namco, Capcom, and Sega have brought to the iPhone, I wouldn't completely look forward to their next productions (although those companies did make some good iGames, they didn't become what people were hoping for).

17. Daniel Novoa

Daniel Novoa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Lol'd

18. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

GangStar will still be only an approximation of GTA.
    I think 20$ would be a fair top-level price for "real" games (like real GTA)

19. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

+1

The reason DS and PSP games are priced highly is because:
    1. They have manufacturing costs
    2. They have to be shipped, which costs money.
    3. They have packaging.
    4. When you're done with the game, you can sell it to someone else and get some money back.

20. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Actually, paying more than $20 is just criminal. I agree with Fazzy. People tend to forget that it's cheaper selling digital copies of games.

Let me put it this way. Puzzle Quest was made for the Nintendo DS and was sold for 29.99. That price included the labor put in for the game, as well as the materials required to make the box and cartridge, and to pay for the distribution. MONEY MONEY MONEY! That's why puzzle quest cost 30 bucks

Now putting aside that the port for the iphone version was a bit sloppy. The full game at release cost 10 bucks, and it had a bit extra content not found in the ds version. Why was it so cheap? They don't have to mass produce copies, all they need to do is send a copy over to apple and they take care of it from there.

So in order for a game to be worth $20, it would have to be an AMAZING console worthy game that is pure epicness.