Sticky thumbs and slide controls

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Martoon, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Martoon

Martoon New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Okay, bit of a silly question here. On games that require me to slide by thumb or finger around on the screen, I often have a difficult time sliding smoothly because my thumb tends to stick a bit on the screen. Cleaning the screen, washing my hands, and drying them thoroughly doesn't seem to help much (or makes it worse).

Anyone have any tips? How do you deal with this?

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I actually use index fingers more

3. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Good question cuz Montezuma2 has me licking my fingertips (don't use thumbs much) slightly when my fingers start to stick. Yea, not very appropriate but when your in the heat of the game and things are getting extreme, I have no other recourse. I keep my hands relatively clean before playing for this reason though. Maybe someones got a better idea. Other than keeping a small bowl of water around....:D

4. Clint Torres

Clint Torres Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I always thought they should make little cloth thumb gloves. I mean there would be no getting around the dorkiness of them and you'd probably just want to use them at home lol. But I've noticed that if you put your thumbs under a tshirt and touch the screen it's still pretty responsive. So maybe you could cut little pieces of Shirt and rubber band them around your fingers. Wow, that sounded a lot cooler in my head

5. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Do you have a screen protector on your screen?

I have an antiglare screen protector, which is less glossy. It seems to resist sticky fingers much better than a standard protector. It doesn't seem to interfere with sensitivity. You may want to try that.

6. Martoon

Martoon New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    LOL! Well, so far, my solution has been to tear off a small piece of tissue paper and hold it between my thumb and the screen.

Hmm. I don't use a screen protector. Do you think the antiglare protector is less prone to sticky fingers than no protector at all? I may try that.

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I also use the anti glare screen protector available at Apple. I significantly increased some high scores when I switched to that - maybe coincidence but it worked for me!

8. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I agree that you should put something on the glass. I remember the glass being harder to slide my finger across then after I put down the screen saver.

Btw, been reading through the thread and I'm surprised that you can still use the device through a cloth. It won't recognize just about anything else like a pencil eraser or stylus, etc. Normally has to have that human touch to work.:D

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    you could just stick small pieces of scotch tape/clear tape on the ends of your fingers

10. iTouch.lover22

iTouch.lover22 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I agree with the others, an anti-glare matte finish screen protector is the best option. It's cheap to buy and will last a long time. It feels so much smoother, I've used the normal ones too and these are much better quality. And you won't see your finger marks all over the screen like what happens on the glass. I think I have the Xtreme mac ones, but I'm sure other ones are good quality too :)

11. Jkopp

Jkopp Member

Feb 27, 2010
    USA
    Fingers

When u hands sweat it makes it kinda sticky make sure ur hands are clean also I play the fps eliminate and I have that problem so I just wash my hands and take a little brake?

12. keydoo

keydoo Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    OR.. the touch control in the game is not THAT smooth. Just saying... ;)

13. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    I'm admitting to quite huge feats of geekery with this but a thin layer of DRY super glue on the desired fingertips will lead to dreamy smooth controls, I haven't tried it without a screen protector so no guarantees on a bare screen... cheers