Universal Aftermath - (by TwoHeads Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Mar 16, 2010.

1. magnum_2107

magnum_2107 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    The lukewarm response to this game (as evidenced by the anemic post count) is concerning. This is actually a really good game at a great price. I think most will look at it and assume it's another dual stick survival shooter, but it actually has missions that have you travelling to different parts of the city. It is also pretty unique in its application, as you control the light, similar to that Alan Wake game that's supposed to come out for Xbox this year. Great sound, nice use of lighting, and pretty good graphics overall. Plus Open Feint to track the scores of each level as well as the final survival level. Lastly, the developer is here on Touch Arcade, which is always a good sign.

I don't know how to go about generating the interest this game deserves. I guess I'll start by posting a favorable review when I am able to this evening. No access to Itunes on my work laptop.

2. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    His is an excellent game, the rain effect is a sight to behold...

3. theaustrianoak

theaustrianoak Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    definite buy at that price, fired it up and played for a couple mins and this game is sweet. has a resident evil vibe to it and the lighting/sound is fantastic for setting the atmosphere

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm curious but it looks like all of the missions are pretty scripted in their pathes and zombie placements, right?

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Well, I'm more than just a little bit impressed. For one, this game succeeds at what so many others of its kind attempt: creating some genuine tension.

The first two levels make you feel like this will be a deliberate, measured experience. Somewhat slow paced and atmospheric. Then the game proceeds to kick you in the balls.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the forced back(and forth)tracking, but can live with it. At least, there is a good reason to have a map.

The animation and lighting take centre stage. Controls are good. The game runs smoothly. It is a buck. I don't need to draw you a picture.

6. magnum_2107

Apr 22, 2009
    The missions have specific goals so in that sense, they are scripted. But as far as I can tell the zombie placements are not scripted. I've roamed the city a few times not following the mission guidance and have found zombies in various and differing places. I'm only 3 levels in so maybe this changes.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Zombie spawning is randomized, no question.

Finally beat level 3 -- man, that was intense! Gabrien is right about the tension and atmosphere, two things clearly lacking in Alive4Ever. It's amazing the difference lighting and perspective make: here zombies can actually take you by surprise, which for me is the one thing that makes them scary in the first place. Still, it doesn't feel cheap, and even thought it took me at least 8 tries to make it through level 3, I had plenty of incentive to give it one more go.

It's not without its faults (what is?), but this is shaping up to be one the big surprises of the year.

8. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I really like this game. Simple, well designed, fantastic graphics. And for this price? What a deal. Thanks.

9. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% this game deserves more publicity.

10. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Game Impressions

This is the first game I ever bought on impulse, without watching any videos or waiting for impressions, which is rare. It came out of nowhere and I just felt it would be good.

I spent all night playing this game after buying it yesterday and posting my impression on the first page. The game is fantastic. I love the lighting, and the flashlight aspect is brilliant. I also love the fact that there is more tactical elements to it than you expect. Do you run and gun, but lower your accuracy, or do you stop and kneel down to get better aim, but become a sitting duck? And yeah, they will sneak up on you and take a bite :)

The game is challenging, but easy...if that makes sense. You can blow through all the levels really quick, but trying to perfect your high scores can be prove to be difficult. If you don't plan your movements correctly, you will become swarmed really fast.

I love the menu deisgn, and I actually like the fact that there is no back story. Almost like the character is unaware of the outbreak, it all just happened, and you are just trying to get the hell out of the city alive.

I must have played the first few levels 30+ times trying to get a perfect score (finally did and posted them on openfeint:p). I had to purposely avoid flashing my light on zombies so my accuracy would not deminish.

I hope the dev adds more levels, 'a morning after' set of levels would be neat. Make the game set at the peak of dawn, with a foggy mist, due to the rain from the night before.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I emailed Arn about it and got an encouraging response. Hopefully we'll see some front page coverage.

12. magnum_2107

Apr 22, 2009
    Great news. This game deserves the coverage.

I just discovered that this game also lets you play your own music. I'm electing not to do so because I like quiet calm before the storm feeling, but this is something that a number of recent games have missed the boat on.

For anyone still on the fence, at $.99 this is a no brainer

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Game Impressions

Picked this up a while ago - haven't had much chance to play it yet, but so far it's a dual stick shooter that feels much more like an FPS.

I like it a lot, I hope the challenge ramps up, because there aren't a whole lot of levels.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As has been mentioned earlier, there's a fairly big leap in difficulty from level 2 to level 3.

15. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I love the lighting effect from the torch in the video.
    I may have to add this one to my never ending list of games to buy.

16. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

17. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    oh my god this is an awesome game! just got it minutes before the review haha. if it had online multiplayer, it would be like an isometric Left4Dead! it would epic!

18. zI Veo Iz

zI Veo Iz Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    I love this game, icon could be better but still. Worth the .99 get it before its not on sale.

19. magnum_2107

Apr 22, 2009
    So glad this game made the front page. Much deserved. I hope the developer can do some self-promoting once he finshes up his volunteer work (good for you, dev). It would be great if he could get this on Apple's hot list.