Shadowgun Deadzone - Online Multiplayer Unity Shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lumothesinner, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    What're sidegrades :eek:

2. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    You just can't leave that alone can you? That really irks you doesn't it ?

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I think they are balanced upgrades. You know, in almost every online game once you upgrade your gun/character with some things it becomes too OP (see first Nova 3 weapon vs the same weapon with damage boost).

4. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    File size

I hope/pray that the file size isn't HUGE.

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I hope this turns out well

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Yes it does. It's selected ignorance on those who choose not to differentiate the two. :eek:

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's not just a battlefield... It's the Deadzone!

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Far from it. Beta weighs in at 115 mb, give or take a couple of mb.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Aaaaaaand:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: errrr... any way to force resize the image? like put it in a text box or a tabel or somethin.

10. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Didn't an update to the beta shoot the file size to 233mb? Still a small file size when comparing to the likes of Gameloft...

11. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    But its a Stand alone multiplayer game, no campaign.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Then dont play it if you dont have the space for it yet. Simple as that. Since it's free, later on you might get sick of your other apps that you'd delete them and then you can try SG:WZ. No need to go "300mb with no campaign" nonsense.

If the game has high-quality assets, you bet the file size will be huge.

13. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #133 Rip73, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Takes up 106mb on sd card and 16.90mb on device. Latest beta build on htc sensation.
    I'm sure it varies per device but that is still a tiny file size for what you're getting graphics wise alone.
    It will be larger on the final release.
    The campaign is the original Shadowgun game. This is the multiplayer version of that. It's a standalone app for a reason.
    The file size is quoted above as it stands with the current beta build. And the visuals are as good as you're ever gonna see them. It is, visually, hugely impressive and you will not find a better looking third person shooter.
    As to the level of effects per device, that's not clear yet.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Actually I think the game looks really repetitive visually, just like all of madfinger's games. I not too excited on the graphics front of things; there are plenty of games that are far more advanced visually than what I saw in that trailer.

And that leaves gameplay, which isn't too promising considering Madfinger's track record with Dead Trigger and the fact that it's another freemium.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The quality of the graphics is still top notch, despite what you are trying to say regarding the visuals. For repetitive assets, a less than 300MB will of course have some repetitive elements, but it's not that bad. If madfinger makes this a 1.7GB game, then you have much variety on the assets, like the gameloft giant FPS titles.

For madfinger to keep their games below 500MB, I actually like that. iOS games dont have their own DVDs or Cartridges to store the games in, it is installed on your iDevice, and when the number of games come out by the hundreds every month, one will be forced to delete older games despite how good one finds them to be.

And as for claiming that plenty of other games look better visually, you'll have to define "plenty" coz i think i have a different understanding.

As for gameplay, people loved Shadowgun despite being a one-trick pony, because they did it so well. And then we asked for a multiplayer mode.

With Deadzone going freemium, and with the number of positive reviews they are getting with Dead Trigger, Deadzone will not go unnoticed, and that number will grow because of multiplayer.

Haters will be present im sure, but they will still be a minority and you cant deny a game that spells success as long as Madfinger plays their cards right.

Also just to add, your choice of words when you said " just like all of madfinger's games" make it sound like you just hate them, and would just look for faults rather than see what they have to offer.

16. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    The graphics look amazing. One thing you can count on from Madfinger is that their graphics are among the best on iOS, right there with Dead Space, Infinity Blade, Mc3, Nova 3.

The fact that this game will be multiplayer will make it much more entertaining and fun than Dead Trigger. I think there is a lot to look forward from Shadowgun Deadzone. I also think the characters in this game look great. I mean look at Beast that thing is going to give me nightmares (jk) and the fact that this will be a free game, very nice.

I'll definately throw in a few bucks in Iap's to support Madfinger's high quality games.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #137 JBRUU, Nov 11, 2012

*sigh*

I'm not a "hater". I used to love madfinger's games, really enjoyed Shadowgun despite its flaws, had a fun time with Samurai 2.

That said, I have completely changed my opinion of them after Dead Trigger and reevaluating my experience with Shadowgun. Both games are incredibly repetitive, both in terms of gameplay and visually. And, honestly, they're a bit boring for me and a lot of other people. Yes the graphics are up there with the best, yes the performance is top notch, but the games just aren't fun and I found myself agreeing more and more with that TA review.

Then Dead Trigger turned completely freemium, and many early adopters including myself felt a little betrayed. Yes it was .99, but we were assured that the game wasn't really "freemium" by MF, who informed us on the forums that IAPS were totally optional and not needed. Well, that's a bit of a stretch.

Let's look at the gameplay and visuals. Dead Trigger was, and is, one of the most uninspired and monotonous zombie game (and as a personal opinion, FPS zombie games should never be so leisurely paced with slow moving zombies and no sense of ammo conservation) I have ever played (yes, I am he same person who eagerly awaited release, bought day 1 and originally gushed over how awesome it was). Shoot reskinned zombies until the timer runs out. Shoot the same zombie 50 times whil gathering randomly spawning crates. Defend these two doors for 2 minutes. It just isn't that fun at all. And the entire time the environments and sounds are recycled and reused to the point of being sick of looking at/hearing them. It really takes away from the graphical achievements Madfinger accomplished.
    Shadowgun is a little different but still in the same category. Walk down the same corridor, take cover in these interestingly (and conveniently) arranged little crates and blast away at dumb aliens for 10 levels. At least Shadowgun broke up the monotony of it all with boss battles (I liked them a lot, actually) and different aliens with different tactics (also very nice). But any wonder I had at the graphics was stifled when I realized it was the same thing over and over. I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice 2gb of space for games will will astound me with both graphcial fidelity AND variety, games like NOVA 3, (I bring that up a lot, don't I?) Walking Dead, Bastion, MC3, NFS, Apocalyse Max, etc.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make (is ANYONE getting this??) is that Madfinger tends to go for style over substance, and that isn't something that keeps my attention for very long. To make a very common analogy, it's like going for the prettiest girl who actually has a personality like a witch rather than keeping in mind both looks and character traits. It may look and superficially seem like a good idea, but ultimately it is most certainly not.

18. As current President of the Dead Trigger Defense Squad, I am obligated to respond to this. Dead Trigger was never meant to be deep but was designed to be more of a monotonous zombie shooter. But you have to admit the graphics are fantastic and framerates are great.

True it turned freemium and all, but you did get the alien gun, lots of new arena levels, and extra coins and stuff for new weapons and junk.

I love the alien gun. It makes the game play like Terminator.

As for the analogy of Dead Trigger being the best looking girl with no personality, well, in the real world, that would get the most attention. So you have to take Dead Trigger for what it is, a game best played in short bursts, while admiring the beautiful graphics.

And I am sure Shadowgun multiplayer will be the same in this kind of way. I just enjoy it for what it is, and they do a great job in updating the game for no extra money which is cool.

19. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #139 Rip73, Nov 11, 2012
    Well, lot of stuff going on there so I won't reply to anyone specifically.

But I've put some time into the beta (not a huge amount but some) and it is what it's meant to be, a multiplayer of Shadowgun.

The maps I've tried are certainly large enough but not monstrous (like NOVA 3) enough to require a jet pack or vehicle to get around. They have multiple levels and layers and, on initial impressions, are easily up to the challenge of NOVA 3.
    And the cover mechanic adds a very interesting element to it that I'm very curious to see how people employ it.

There is also sprint and roll mechanics that help out a lot. Plus you have to aim and aim well. None of the weapons seem over powered particularly and unlike NOVA 3, you don't have to fire full magazines or spend 5 to 10 seconds shooting an enemy with most weapons just to kill them.

Plus lets bear in mind that Shadowgun and Dead Trigger are scripted campaigns. Those points about monotony don't really apply as you will be playing against real people.

Can it compete with NOVA 3? The simple answer is yes and very easily.

Will it look familiar? Well, yes, it still looks like shadowgun. And in that sense, it still looks very impressive. But there is definitely more effort gone in to the map design and levels to those maps. Much more complex than MC3 for example and easily on a par with NOVA 3 (without the need for jet packs, I hate those jet packs) from a design perspective.

Of course, because of the file size, there is some repetition of assets, but not significant enough that you'd immediately notice in the middle of a match.

Of course I'm sure many will find fault with it. It does need more match modes and more maps but I'm sure that will come with success. And as far as repetitive, well as I said, its not scripted, it is multiplayer.

Some will enjoy it, some wont. I certainly am finding it enjoyable so far but I'm still finding my footing with it and can't say to its longevity as I don't know how long items take to unlock.
    But then again, I gave up on NOVA 3 pretty quickly once I'd unlocked everything anyway because of its awful need to have a rocket launcher, jet pack and sniper rifle just to kill anyone with less than a full magazine or to just get around. At least in this about three hits will put them down.

Overall though, I'm hopeful for this. I do believe that it will need further expansion with upgrades (such as more maps and modes definitely) but I do not believe it will disappoint. It does what it's supposed to very well.
    And, I nearly forgot to say the most important thing, it's fun.

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I would be looking forward to this if it were paid, free IAP dependant multiplayer games rarely, if ever, work.