AppShopper search is useless

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Monolith, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Often times I find myself reading about a game on the front page of TA, and wanting to add it to my AppShopper wish list. e.g., "The Fleet", which was reviewed today.

Unfortunately, the AppShopper search takes a query like "The Fleet" and just turns up every game containing either of those words in the title or description of the game. So, in essence, it returns a list of every game in the app store.

Sometimes I can work around this by using the name of the developer (which is usually something unique), but this obviously doesn't always work.

Any plans to fix/improve this? Even just support for advanced search boolean like quotes?

2. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Totally agree with this

3. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I've never had a difficult time finding and wish listing games using the AppShopper as in most every case the game topped the list.
    So I typed in "The Fleet" just now and it was the first game to show. Tried it even without the caps and still came up first.

4. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Make sure you sort by relevance (in the left sidebar). That probably helps.

5. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I think people should clarify whether they are talking about the website or the app, because I always have this problem with the app but the search works perfectly on their website.

6. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I was talking about the app. If you sort by relevance "the fleet" is top of the list.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #7 Coldar, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    I went to both app and site when testing (earlier when I posted) and the game "The Fleet" came up above the rest within each.

I don't use the website Appshopper very often so if the op is referring to the website then I can't comment but to only what I'd posted.
    Also I'm somewhat surprised a few are having problems if it is the app being referred to because its usually a 10 second span in finding the game and checking off the "I want" box to transfer over to my wish list.

Add: Might want to un-check categories in the settings app. Might help although mine are all checked.

8. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Whoops... now I feel dumb. That was my problem! Thanks.