Universal Bike Baron - (by Mountain Sheep & Qwiboo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TimoVihola, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Ickon

Ickon Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Any tips or a video on how to pass the last 3 pyramids in Joker Cat 3?
    I am starting to master the bomb bridge but i always get crashed between 2 pyramids...
    Thanks!

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lol I have the same problem. I gave up on this level a long time ago.

3. tinchka

tinchka Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Australia
    The trick is to be facing upwards at the first base of these pyramids. If you land nose down, hold the back lean and pump the accelerator until the nose starts to rise, once it does, your timing needs to be spot on to change the lean to forward to prevent hitting your head on the first pyramid. Then you have to use the same technique to get over them as you do at the start of the level.

There is a bit of a larger gap between base of the 2nd and 3rd pyraminds so it's a little easier!

Good luck!!

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I usually try to get some air after the 1st pyramid so as to land with the back wheel in the gap between the first and second pyramid. Then repeat between 2nd and 3rd pyramid. I have passed this level before the update, and not played after that. (Will first 3star the new hard levels and go to JC3, JB3, and JB4

5. skaz1985

skaz1985 Member

Oct 28, 2011
    i'm kind of embarrassed to say that it appears ive logged in 48 hours in this game. i definitely didn't know that my obsession was that deep until i found the stat page! but just thinking back.. i really did spend a ton of time on joker baron 4 to be able to have a legitimate shot and ultimately complete the 2min star, probably over 10 hours. it's a very tricky level that took me like 2.5 hours to finish at first where a few of the checkpoints were gained by pure luck. but over time and continual play, the moves became easier and i kind of figured out my own best way to do each move that i could repeat. then my perfect run happened where i didn't mess up at all and got it in at 1:39. literally everything went right for me during it i didnt crash once while in the midst of the moves or any hiccups along the way. so this game isn't impossible.. but be prepared to put some time in to really figure out the last level with jc3 and dragons teeth also taking a lot of time too. but if you have the obsessive drive like i had to completely finish this game then you'll get it eventually. good luck!

6. Mike summers

Mike summers Member

Nov 15, 2011
    #706 Mike summers, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Yes I meant the frustrating coin in the corner; the rest are fairly easy, thanks for the help mate

7. skaz1985

skaz1985 Member

Oct 28, 2011
    oh sorry. yeah it really took forever for me to kind of get it more on a regular basis. it was a really annoying one. if what i said before didn't help i feel like i let go of the gas when i left the crack and let myself float to my peak then kind of tilted the head of the guy towards it and got it with that. it's a touch thing that honestly probably took me over a half hour until i started getting it at all and could then hope everything else went right on the finish. i hope you get it man.

8. Mike summers

Mike summers Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks I appreciate it. I'll keep trying! Lol it seems I have caught the addiction as well

9. Staeit

Staeit Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hey, I believe it. I think I might be able to do finish it all by the time I hit 48 hours, but who knows? I'm almost done Bombkin gravity (just need a really good run, finished it in 25s when 24s is required, and that was with a crash at the end!!) but JB4 is so far incredibly difficult.

But Kudos to the devs for making an absolutely amazing game. I am quite addicted - every spare moment I get is spent playing this game. I haven't gamed on any platform like this in years. It's definitely challenging but you feel so satisfied when you get that third star! You certainly need to practice all the parts an immense amount and get some luck on some of the challenges.

One thing I see in the ratings is that people complain it's too hard. I agree that there should be more easy levels - the levels are very well designed (apart from the odd frustrating checkpoint) and they are extremely fun! Make some more that people don't have to invest hours at a time in order to complete. I know that there are thousands of user levels but people want the levels to just be ready to go. Hoping for a lot more updates, I tell everyone I know who has an iPhone about this game :D

10. qwiboo

qwiboo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, we are happy you are having fun playing the game! That's the best reward game developer can get ;) We will be bringing more easier levels and also fixing the frustrating checkpoints in the next update!

11. Staeit

Staeit Member

Nov 8, 2011
    #711 Staeit, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Wow, after spending like 1.5 hours on bomblosium and probably around 4 hours on bombkin gravity, I finally got a chance to play joker baron 3. I proceeded to 3-star it in under 15 minutes. Rank jumped to 21 for the time. So now just have to take on jb4...

Any advice on getting To the third checkpoint? I am going to the left of the first one and basically get stuck trying to squeeze through the opening...

12. tinchka

tinchka Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Australia
    I have uploaded a video on how to finish JB4. not my best time, but give you the idea. now i just gotta work on getting the third star... Hope it helps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k41_XLO8ncQ

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    What the hell? That level looks insane. I doubt I'll ever unlock it and I think that's probably for the best as I think I'm saving my self some frustration. :)

14. deto

deto Active Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Artist, Developer, Designer
    Awesome video. You're my hero :)

15. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #715 Grubjelly, Nov 18, 2011
    That Joker Baron IV video was too heavily edited for how much luck is involved in that level (i.e. duration just a tiny fraction of the completion time -- itself much too long for a walkthrough ON iPAD), which means it doesn't really count as a legit gameplay video, especially when there have been level-unlocking mods advertised in Youtube videos of other people for weeks, and when this level is supposed to be doable in less than 2 minutes on iphone/ipod instead of over 6 minutes (again, with heavy editing and iPad) as shown in that video. Any walkthrough on ipad should at least show some editing-free competence in the gameplay itself that would remove any doubt about the developer's nefarious intentions with such a cheap level (anyone could learn the cheapness from others, in any case). On the other hand, if it had been on iphone/ipod and unedited with the same completion time, it could have been passable.

EDIT:

That Joker Baron IV video is edited to cut out the part where the third checkpoint is being reached; there is a crash at the 45 second mark in the EDITED video (over 3 minutes on the game clock) right before the third checkpoint, at which the video cuts to a point where the checkpoint has already been reached 3-4 MINUTES LATER (at 6-7 minutes on the clock -- the video is edited). All TA members playing Bike Baron on ipod touch or iphone ought to rate that video down until a legit, unedited playthrough on iPhone or iPod Touch is provided. Until then, I maintain the opinion that an Apple Gamecenter game using a composite scoring scheme with no demonstrably consistent (if not outright discernible) relationship to in-game performance is a form of Apple Gamecenter developer cheating for the reason that the impossibility of resolving disputes via conventional means (i.e. comparing leaderboard times to recorded Youtube videos) makes it logistically impossible for anyone to claim a legitimate win. I believe any major video game commission would rule similarly on the these grounds -- even without considering that the locked-level structure of Bike Baron combined with the availability of level-unlocking mods further distorts the competition -- that Bike Baron's scoring is at odds with sense being made of relative performance -- something absolutely fundamental to the establishment of a legitimate competition.

16. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #716 mikeg123, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
    I still don't get your point. So now the developer is evil because they've made a level that isn't to your liking? And they are cheats because the video is heavily edited?

17. deto

deto Active Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Artist, Developer, Designer
    Just because they (see leaderboards, that one of the top few players there) cut out part they didn't wish to share definitely doesn't mean they cheated. Also if you looked at the end statistics that wasn't the best run. The best run clocked lil under 4 mins and was displayed there too for a second or so :)

And earlier there was a screenshot, from other user (he was the number 1 on the moment of posting) with all extreme stars achieved.

Opinions are opinions, none are more valuable than other, but please refrain from calling other people as cheaters. I think the leaderboards speak for themselves :rolleyes:

18. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #718 Grubjelly, Nov 18, 2011
    No, the developer is a fraud for defining only 1 skill-based achievement for a Gamecenter (=achievement-weighted) game that depends on every single star being collected, including 1 especially luck-dependent and ipad-biased level that could be gamed any number of ways, and thus skew the results, meaning the leaderboards in no way "speak for themselves."

Bike Baron achievements in Apple Gamecenter:
    -Share a level - 10 points
    - collect 5000 coins total - 10 points
    -get every star - 50 points
    ----------------------------------------
    All achievements=70 points --->developers are out to cheat the gamers
    (including 3 stars in one luck-dependent level)

The aforementioned Joker Baron IV video implied that all coins were collected, or at least that the player HAS collected them, but the following screenshot shows how the path taken was incorrect and didn't collect a most elusive coin which requires that a displaced wooden platform land in precisely this position shown (not between the spikes), which DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON LUCK! It is impossible to nudge the left wooden platform found at the third checkpoint (which I had already reached, by the way) in such a way as to have it land as shown except out of pure luck, which should be anathema to this kind of gamecenter game which issues no skill-based achievement except that of GETTING EVERY STAR, which that Joker Baron IV video in no way approaches..

[​IMG]

In contrast, the situation in this second screenshot is that the wooden platform depicted as successfully positioned in the first photo has now landed between spikes instead, leaving the player to use a restart or attempt to climb out of that mess (feasible? I don't think so), yet the two sets of player input acting on that wooden platform at the above checkpoint -- leading to the respective situations in thse screenshots -- were not a result of different input; it's simply an issue of poor level design in a game where competitive players are misled to believe that skill and practice will be decisive, when in fact it turns out that a single, long-inaccessible but now ridiculed, luck-dependent level makes or breaks a composite score on a single Apple Gamecenter leaderboard that is completely skewed towards completing every single level.

Note that the developer hardly acknowledged or apologized for the fact that the original Joker Cat 3 wasn't finishable in 30 seconds or less (excepting extreme luck), which meant that anyone who had practiced Joker Baron IV must necessarily have unlocked it by external means that were unavailable to other players who had had to collect every single star up until that point in order to access that level, as required by the app.
    [​IMG]

19. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Please try my level: I spent like ages on making it: ATMB

20. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #720 mikeg123, Nov 18, 2011
    But I still don't understand how the dev can be a fraud and cheat for their definition of an achievement. They are free to define any and all achievements they want to for *their* game. In fact, they could have chosen to not add any achievements.

So what is it that they are cheating you out of? An achievement? Finishing the game? Or is it the fact that you won't be satisfied until you can be #1 on the leaderboard?

I guess I don't consider making a tough game, that I can't complete, a way to cheat me out of something. I still haven't 3-starred Dragon's Teeth, but I don't feel cheated in any way. I haven't gotten a single achievement, and I don't feel cheated. As much as I like to compete on leaderboards, I realize that there is always going to be someone better than me, or someone that can put in more time and patience to complete crazy levels like Dragon's Teeth and JB4. I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has cheated thus far. In fact, I've found that people that do cheat usually don't come and post on these forums -- let alone help others with written descriptions and videos.

But feel free to think what you want.

EDIT: Oh geez, I just read the updated last post of yours. I give up, have fun talking to yourself now.