Wanted: Your feedback! [Banana Blast]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Broxxar, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Broxxar

Broxxar Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Kingston, ON
    Hi Devs,

I'm working on a mobile title and I would love your feedback! You can play a prototype of the game over on itch.io:

Banana Blast

The game is being developed in Unity (power to 2D in Unity!) and I plan on releasing iOS and Android versions, hopefully before the end of this year!

There are details for planned additions to the game on that page, but if you think there is some feature/aspect that could be improved or added please mention it. Any thing else you want to comment on, positive or otherwise, will be appreciated!

I'd also like to know some opinions, like what is the importance of Game Centre integration? And is "Tweet your High score" typically more annoying than it is beneficial?

Thanks all!

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Actually think the concept is very good. Ive not seen this type of game before. You will probably need to update the graphics a lot as its not going to look great on retina but its a great start.

Having a link to facebook and twitter is a great idea and you can get plugins off the unity asset store.

3. Broxxar

Broxxar Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Kingston, ON
    Thanks for the input! You're not the first to comment on the art quality. I plan on revisiting it and making things a little bit nicer later on. I should mention though, it looks a bit grainy in the web player, but in fact all the graphics are high enough resolution to render nicely on 2048*1536 display.

I do all my art in Flash and then export as PNG for use in Unity. So if I ever need to support a higher resolution, I can export higher res PNGs thanks to Flash's vector based graphics.

4. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    It's pretty addictive. Nice job! I think this will be a fun casual game to pick up and play to kill time.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Game didnt work for me.

I tapped and monkey just appeared a little and fell off screen.

6. Broxxar

Broxxar Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Kingston, ON
    Thanks, glad you like it! Casual and easy to pick up is what I'm shooting for.

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't had any other user experience this. Did this happen every time or just once?

7. Broxxar

Broxxar Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Kingston, ON
    Is this costume/joke too overdone? I personally love this dog's facial expression and want him in the game as an unlockable character.

Also still looking for user feedback, there have been some minor updates to the Web version in my first post!

This build with the doge costume and the revised background isn't up yet, but it's coming soon along with new level chunk patterns and other tweaks/fixes.

[​IMG]

8. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Great gameplay. Lots of work to create all the levels?

9. Broxxar

Broxxar Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Kingston, ON
    Thanks for playing! Level creation isn't too bad. I hacked together a visual editor using Unity's editor scripting which is serving me quite well.

10. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I tried again today and it worked fine.

Seems like it will be fun!

11. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Hi Broxxar!
    This gameplay fondly reminded me of Nyan Cat Adventure for some reason. I would just like to suggest thinking about your purplish-obstacle-thingies that block your shots. Maybe you could brainstorm them a bit further and have them be "enemy" monkeys, waiting to block your trajectory or something. Forgive me if I'm missing some important details, but I think you could enhance your premiss even further by visually developing the game's primary obstacles - something that would tie back in to your world of branches and bananas. And if you REALLY want to be challenged, perhaps think about going in and adding even more detail to your art assets, like the background layers, etc. I like what you're making here, and I'm just trying to challenge you to take this as far as you possibly can.
    Good hunting my friend!

12. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Some quick feedback:

- Could have the monkeys head sticking out of the barrel he's in, ideally showing his eyes. That adds more personality to the game, rather than resizing the current barrel.

- Some interesting game elements, but needs an overall objective to progress against; Like levels, collecting a certain number of bananas, traveling a certain distance, beating a timer, escaping from something or (my preference) a mixture of the above. eg: If a banana meter was filling up as I progressed, it would give me more incentive to get bananas. This is why so many games use the 3-star rating system as an incentive.

- I found the inter-screen scrolling a bit abrupt.

- Unlockable character is yellow; too similar to the bananas.

13. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I've played with the web version for a minute...

When the monkey jump, it is way to hard to see it (it's mix with the smoke), make the smoke less obvious or a different color (light grey?).

Big big big problem: no idea where is the monkey (witch barrel I am controlling), that's a MUST FIX NOW before doing anything else. Yes, you make it scale up/down but that's way not enough. I like the suggestion about having his head out of the barel.

good luck.

JC