iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Scary Pharaoh, have you ever played MP? If not can you login and create an account and then try inviting again. We may have to tweak this part of the process as I don't think we'd considered people inviting before ever playing MP themselves.

2. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I downloaded the lite version on a lark just to see what the "exclusive intro mission" was like. Just have to say guys, that's what the tutorial mission should have been like! Excellent mission with just enough hand holding for someone playing the first time in my opinion. Also each explanation of an action or function stays on the right hand side in case someone needs to look at it again.

As for the detailed tool tips...OMG information overload! Was actually a little lost at first when I targeted an enemy unit :p I'm now seeing all of the different parameters used to determine the effectiveness of an attack (range, movement, AP, HE, ect) very awesome and it helps me to understand the game at a deeper level.

Pip or Ian, question about the enhanced AI: does the AI makes more intellegent decisions or is it simply increased penalties to hit and penetration rates?

3. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi guys

Just to let you know, we have fixed the issues with registering from within the demo and the issue with attempting to generate an invite without having logged in to MP. These were both server-side fixes which should be live and working now.

Thanks for letting us know about these issues.

Cheers

Pip

4. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    The AI has never used any hit or penetration penalties - it has to play the game the same as you :). The new AI should make better decisions regarding where your units are, avoiding dangerous terrain, and some other tweaks.

We are considering using the demo mission as the (or a) tutorial, although it might be a little long and daunting for a real first-time player. So perhaps some combination of the two might work.

Cheers

Pip

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For what is worth I found the tutorial in the lite absolutely perfect.
    Was my first experience with the game and with these kind of war games in general but in the end I beated it and felt like Eishenhauer or Churcill at the end of the war.
    Now I can't even APPROACH that damn first bunker in the D-Day first mission, but that is another story.

I like the game a lot...the lite idea was a really great one IMHO, combined to the possibility to play even the mp with a friend who has already the complete game.
    Now not only I'm loving this game, I'm now looking forward Panzer Corps.

6. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Glad you are enjoying the game! I would definitely recommend playing the campaigns in order, they get tougher from Desert->Normandy->Bulge, and you will definitely pick up some of the lessons of war on the way. For D-Day I too always got pasted on the beach until I learned to suppress suppress suppress :)

Cheers

Pip

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well....as a matter of fact I just FREAKING PASSED BEHIND THE FIRST ENEMY LINE!!!!
    Routed and forced to retreat all enemies in bunkers!!!!

Ah, the joy of suppression fire!!!
    There is something I can't yet understand tough...how can I check if an enemy is so 'suppressed' he won't fire back if I approach him?

Now I'm trying to understand where the hell is German artillery that prevents me to advance.
    When I took down the last bunker I yelled so loud my wife was about to call medics to have me confined :)
    Soooo good!!!!

BTW...I do not know if it's similar but is a date set for Panzer Corps? I dig a lot the 2D graphics.
    Also I just discovered there is a similar game about medieval warfare coming soon?

8. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad you're liking the lite game Pitta! That first D-Day can be a real challenge!
    Per suppressing a unit, it is officially suppressed (won't fire back) when its moral rating drops below 50. If a units moral drops below zero it will surrender if attacked again by an adjacent unit. You'll learn quickly how key suppression is, it effectively takes a unit out of the fight for a while. One caveat: Supressed armour units will fire back once at reduced effectiveness.
    If you are ambushed and are attempting to use suppressive fire on a tile, you know if you have suppressed a hidden unit if you hear shouting! Thus this is one of the few games I have to play with the sound on.

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!!!
    I depleted the iPad battery playing the game today.
    7 turns to go till I complete the DDay mission...waiting for iPad to recharge :)

Another question...how can I regain control of units with the white flag? (surrended)
    Is it normal that sometimes I spot enemies inside buildings or bunkers, but next turn I can't see them anymore (but i can suppress or shoot there) and I have to remember their position out of my mind? (not pratical if you load the game the day later).

10. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #470 Emos, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    If your units are supressed, it basically takes time for them to regain enough morale to suck it up and enter the fray again. If possible, move them away from the action to safety so any additional attacks won't continue to drain the morale meter.
    Sometimes a spotted unit will become hidden the following turn. I'm not absolutely sure of the mechanics behind it, but I think it's due to the unit that spotted the enemy either moving out of the line of site or becoming supressed or the enemy unit moving out of LOS. That would be a good time to use the Supressive Fire function, especially if it looks like a fortification tile, units are usually loathe to abandon those unless they have to!

EDIT: some missions have a Rally ability, where you can instantly recover one of your suppressed units, can come in very handy. Also if you can get an infantry unit to Elite status, it will gain an ability called Snipe. It will automatically kill one man in a squad but its devastating feature is the incredible amount of suppression it generates.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks again.
    Anyway, TWO full iPad battery charges later, I conquered the coastline and secured the village, will all stars/achievements.

What a ride!!!!

12. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad you liked it! Hopefully you'll invest in the full version but I know that $20 can be hard to swallow for iOS gamers (though I think it's worth it)! I think the lite version offers two multiplayer maps so if you want to give that a whirl instead you can create a challenge then PM me with the scenario, your handle and password to enter the game you created. Even though I think I do OK in single player I get my behind handed to me by the experienced grognards who play there. :)

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I have no problem with the price of the game, content is simply staggering (just the lite content is massive IMHO).
    I'm not sure I can bear more than 1 type of these games at once...so before buying I want to inform myself better about Panzer Corps and when it is supposedly out.

14. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm not sure what the timeline is for Panzer Corps, it's been delayed at least once. Hopefully either Pip or Ian can give us a guideline but my guess is that we won't see it until early 2013...it's gong to be a day one buy for me regardless.

Also, I discovered that I have to be the one to issue an invite to a person who doesn't have the full version of the game. If you wish, you can PM me an addy to issue the challenge. I just started an MP game with scary pharaoh so we'll see how that goes ;)

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    LOL, Scarypharaoh is a busy men, I'm playing with him too :)
    I thought PanzerCorps was samewhat immininent but I'm probably wrong.
    I'm not even sure which type of game is and if I'll like it so I hope they will have a lite too.
    I must confess that I dig the 2D graphic a bit more tough.
    We will see:)

16. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Slitherine have been very quiet about Panzer Corp for iOS, but last I recall reading somewhere, it still had a late 2012 target date. I'm hoping that's still the case, but I'd rather have it right than have it early!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

17. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Panzer Corps is a reboot (or loving tribute if you prefer) of the original Panzer General PC game from the mid '90s. It was an incredible strategy game for its time and I remember I played the hell out of it back in the day. It looks like slitherine updated it really nice :)

18. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Just tried the lite version -- fun game! A few questions, though:

What does an "assault" do (vs. regular attack)?

Has anyone else noticed that the map sometimes jumps around when trying to move around? Usually when i'm trying to move the map with a unit selected. Speaking of which, is there any way to DE-select a unit?

When I tap and hold on various terrain tiles, the displayed stats dont always match up with the actual visible terrain. Sometimes it changes just moving my finger slightly in a different direction... not even outside of the original terrain tile. Am I doing this wrong, or is this a glitch?

Is there any way to rewind a units movements? Because I haven't figured out a way to deselect units, I've accidentally moved units a couple times, which is pretty aggravating.

19. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Panzer Corps is coming but it took longer than expected to finish Afrika Korps than expected so it will be some time Q1 2013.

I forget about deselect but I think selecting a tile you cant move to deselects. Hard to remember without the game in front of me.

Assaults destroy the enemy unit if they succeed rather than just damaging it. Its the only way to get rid of units in heavy bunkers - they wont surrender when their morale drops below 0. It is risker though and can result in your taking casualties as well as the enemy.

There is a bug where the screen sometimes jumps. We haven't tracked down the cause yet.

You cant undo moves as there is too much advantage gained form what you see or don't see so it would kind of be cheating.

20. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Thanks!

How many missions/campaigns/scenarios come with the game? How many with each IAP expansion? Are there any plans for further expansions, or is all focus on Panzer/Afrika Corps?