What games does Android have that we don't?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ChrisJT, Jan 8, 2013.

1. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Cloud gaming sucks. Nothing beats playing games natively.

But yeah, it is sad seeing nVidia lag so far off the iPad 4's GPU. Probably my next tab has to be an iPad 4/5 instead of a Tegra 4 powered one. Darn.

2. Ravensword Lover

Ravensword Lover Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Exactly! İt sucks big time. That's why I was counting on them so much. The AC 3 demonstration really blew my mind. No lag, crisp and smooth visuals. Definitely something I want to try.

But looks like PowerVR will dominate the field again, especially when the Rogue series come up. Let's see how will Qualcomm respond. They are the two kings of the mobile GPU sector now.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    2x pixels doesn't mean you need anywhere near 2x GPU grunt.

4. Ravensword Lover

Ravensword Lover Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2013
    That's also true, but even jumping from 1920x1080 (Egypt HD off screen) to 2048x1536 (Egypt HD on screen) makes a noticable difference in benchmarks. The FPS wouldn't be doubled, right, but there would be a massive impact on it.

5. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    It is not 2x the pixel, but 4x as much! Plus, try telling that to the iPad 3. It had 2x the GPU power compared to the iPad 2 but because it was pushing 4x as much pixels it ultimately failed to match the performance of games on the iPad 2 at each of their respective native resolutions.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #46 JBRUU, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    I had an iPad 3. I know what I'm talking about. In the benchmarks with native res, the iPad 3 actually got just a tad higher performance than the 2. It's a result of poor optimization.

The 2x pixel was a general statement; the point was that its not a 1:1 ratio between GPU power and extra pixels.

But this is really a moot point. Being generous, we can roughly say that the Shield is about or slighly below the performance of the iPad 4 taking resolution into account. That's pretty disappointing IMO for a brand new handheld. It does, however, make it significantly more powerful than the Vita. I'd love to see an AC:L port to iOS and maybe Android, maybe once there are more A6 and T4 devices out there it'll become feasible. Plus the added power means that we won't get as many terrible framerate drops as the Vita.

But the AC port is never happening, I'm just dreaming.

7. darkcrayon

darkcrayon Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Vendetta Online

http://www.vendetta-online.com

MMORPG Space Combat/Trader sim. I'd really like a game like this for iOS (guess I can dream about the new Elite game coming for iOS eventually). I like Galaxy on Fire in terms of graphics but not gameplay so much (I prefer a cockpit view and more "dogfighty" feel to combat). And the MMO part is something iOS is missing.

They have an Android version but have thus far refused to do an iOS port unfortunately (it is also available for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux). They've said it was because of the App Store rules against apps downloading code and approvals (they release self-updates like many MMORPGS and all clients must be on the same update). But then they went ahead and released a Windows "Modern UI" version which would seem to have the same issue with the Microsoft store, so I don't know. I was thinking they could just release a separate "universe" for iOS users if that were the case (so all updates would be synchronized regardless of how long Apple takes). Oh well... Seems like they're giving up a lot of potential subscribers.

8. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Two reasons they released on Windows RT:

1) cause nVidia told them to do so. They are after all a Tegra-exclusive game on Android and one of the first ever games to feature on Tegrazone (Tegrazone also exists on WIndows RT now).

2) I don't think updates for existing apps have to go through Microsoft once they have already been approved.