BULLISTIC - the free game people love to hate! MASSIVE UPDATE on it's way

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MillipedeCreative, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MillipedeCreative

MillipedeCreative Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Melbourne - Australia
    First, a bit of background.

Bullistic is a free game we released as
    a) a free gift to clients and friends as a joke. We are 'web for hire' game dev company and are continually asked 'can you build us something like Angry Birds?', so we thought we'd give it a go.
    b) an ode to the most successful and fun game on the App Store - Angry Birds

For a full run down on the game, check out:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=80799&highlight=Bullistic

Problem is, the game has been amazingly popular. As of 27th January 2011, less than 2 weeks in the wild, the game has been downloaded over 140,000 times.

...And we are getting canned on the App Store! People are ripping us to shreds for copying Angry Birds. But what more can we do? We put it in the app description. We are giving the game away for free. We admit this is an ode to Angry Birds. We love Angry Birds... ah well.
    Despite this and due to the sheer number of downloads, we are fleshing the game out properly and hopefully turn it into something people will enjoy a lot more.

Everyone's feedback is welcome!

The progress so far...

Performance

Performance has been improved incredibly! In the rush to get the game out last year, we had overlooked a number of things that were sucking memory. We are now acheiving framefrates consistently as follows:
    iPhone 3G: 25 - 30 fps min
    iPhone 3GS: >50 fps constant!
    iPhone 4: 40 - >45 fps

Gameplay

15 levels are now in development. We'll release these with the next update and will release 15 more soon after. Continuing in this fashion until we give up. The level difficulty will scale gracefully - the basics to begin, ultimately ending up quite challenging.

New items including springs, bumpers, boulders, chandeliers are all going to be introduced to create more of a puzzle aspect to breaking as much stuff as you can.

Each level has a $ damage goal. Stars are awarded for remaining bulls, three stars awarded for reaching the goal in one shot.

We'll also provide some more intuitive and detailed instructions about how to play the game, the goals and a few tricks along the way.

The camera

The camera will be modified so that users can zoom out to see the whole scene and still aim their shot.
    We will also be tweaking the bull follow to ensure you can always see the action.

No ads - more bulls!

We will be removing the ads. Instead, as a way to get some return on our investment, we will be adding 'Bulls with Abilities', which will be available to purchase in-app individually, or in packs of three.
    These special bulls can be substituted in at anytime during a level, when their abilities are deemed required.

The game will remain free and completely playable with the normal bulls as promised. The special bulls will just add to the fun.

Sound Controls

Jeez - we copped some grief over this! We can't be responsible for everyone's taste in music. I love metal! :cool:
    However, we can be a little more courteous. We will be changing the music so as it doesn't get triggered after every breakage. Also, we are providing options for users to mute both the music and sfx.

Artwork

Thankfully, this is an area that people really were impressed, and for good reason. Mike (our designer) did an amazing job for the time he had - now he has more time to make things look even better. Here's some samples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally....

[​IMG]

I think that's everything so far. We hope to have the game updated and out in Feb.

Bring on the comments, suggestions and feedback! We will probably be looking for some beta testers in the very near future too, so if anyone is interested, please PM me.

I'll endeavour to keep this thread up to date with our progress. I hope you like the direction the game is heading.

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

haha, that's pretty cool. its great that you're admitting that this IS an ode to angry birds, and that you re not in it for the profit, but for the enjoyment! good on you :D

3. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    yip, pretty cool. i downloaded this yesterday but havent given it a go yet, will try it tonight.

4. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Glad to hear the ads are removed. I would rather paying not seeing ads. :)

5. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    Great finally a dev that actually listens the the issues with their app, all the problems i had should be addressed in the update according to this, not playing the game much right now but will likely be one of my favorites when the update comes.

6. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    why is the iphone3gs have better framerate than the iphone 4

7. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    i was also wondering about the iphone 4 fps. maybe for upscaled grapics for retina display?

8. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    The china shop thing is great. :p

9. Noodler

Noodler Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    #9 Noodler, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    Cash

Why dont you make it a paid app?
    Forget that I just read Bulls with abilities

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Sweet I'm downloading this now. Will give it a play later tonight.

11. Play-n-Play

Play-n-Play Active Member

Jan 11, 2011
    you guys got "bulls" ;)... also love the idea, and you can definitely use it to your advantage in the future.

thumbs up!

12. MillipedeCreative

Dec 31, 2009
    Melbourne - Australia
    Bingo! The 3GS has close to as much power as the iPhone4 but only half the resolution to deal with. While games look stunning on the retina display, they perform much better and smoother on the 3GS. Crazy huh?
    I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 though.. ;)

13. MillipedeCreative

Dec 31, 2009
    Melbourne - Australia
    Some credit is due!

This review from Demon Skunk appeared on the US App Store:

Good Game. Needs a little work.
    by Demon skunk on Jan 14, 2011 version 1.0

I got this game mostly because it was free, but I was pleasantly surprised when I started it.
    the presentation is wonderful, it's music is a short loop that isn't annoying and fits the game.

I love the bull in a china shop theme, it's something not many have done and quite frankly I think it's pretty funny - especially because of the china shop owner who cowers behind the counter after the first time you fire your bull.

Things that I think need work are: The walls and floor should be destroyable, I think. The stage design makes it near impossible to launch your bulls into the windows and hit certain areas, making the games few stages much more difficult than they look to be.

Also, in future releases it'd be nice to see different bulls to mix up the action, or gimmicks like springs and things to make stages more interesting and puzzle oriented, because at present they're all rather samey.

there also NEEDS to be a menu system. I don't like the fact that every time I pick up and play the game I start at stage one again, and if you'll be adding more stages in the future you'll need to implement some sort of stage menu design.

maybe you could design it like a shelf with vases on it, and stages you've beaten are broken vases? that'd be cool.

-----

Awesome feedback and great ideas! So much so, we have implemented many of them. If you read this Demon skunk - thank you. You rock!

I just wanted to show that we are listening and genuinely value good, constructive feedback and suggestions.

Areas we are workshopping at the moment are:

New Bulls and abilities-
    'bouncy bull' - goes crazy bouncy when triggered for a limited time
    'raging bull' - magically charges along the horizontal axis when triggered
    'para bull' - tap mid-flight to open a parachute. Tilt to guide the bull into the drop zone. Tap again to explode the bull. If he touches anything, he explodes. The bull survives. ;)
    'sitting bull' - tap to place a small campfire in the scene. If any bull touches the fire, it goes crazy with it's backside on fire until it goes out
    'flamma-bull' - tap mid-flight to thrust the bull at terrific speed straight down. Bull picks up enough speed to combust - comet like.

Upcoming levels -
    Museum of fragile and expensive Egyptian artifacts
    House of lonely and fragile old people ...not sure about this one...
    Palace of a mexican drug baron
    The quest for Kim Jong Il
    Bulls in Space: Zero gravity lunar landscape
    Bulls on ice (frozen water, not the drug)
    Bulls vs ninjas

There's a few thought starters. Anyone got more?

14. Heimlink

Heimlink New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Looking forward to the update. How are things coming along?

15. MillipedeCreative

Dec 31, 2009
    Melbourne - Australia
    Yep - big ones too!

Awesome!

Level design is coming along great! Have some really cool puzzles to solve - we've done 13 odd levels now. 2 more to design up (for this update). Then, just add polish.

[​IMG]

Every level can be completed with one perfectly executed shot.

Getting the camera happening smooth and intuitive is tricky, but we're almost there!

New special bulls are being illustrated, animated, and are soon to be dropped in. Here's a preview:

[​IMG]
    Flammabull

[​IMG]
    Bouncybull

[​IMG]
    Parabull

Lord help us if we run out of bull puns.

16. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. Cool. The Flammabull is the best but they are all GREAT! Nice job. :D

Also, how bout a spacebull? That'd be cool.

17. MillipedeCreative

Dec 31, 2009
    Melbourne - Australia
    Cheers Crex!

Spacebull? I like it! Tell me more. Powers, abilities, what do you want to happen?

18. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Well, obviously, he has to have a space suit. As for powers go, maybe attach a rocket or jet pack to him. And when you launch him, you tap the screen and he'll go SUPER fast! (sorta like the yellow angry bird. :D)

19. MillipedeCreative

Dec 31, 2009
    Melbourne - Australia
    There are a couple of bulls that do similar things to that already. Flammabull when tapped, smashes down vertically crazy fast, and Ragingbull (yet to be drawn) does a similar thing except he charges horizontally - with a rocket pack I believe! You'll love them.

What about for Spacebull, you launch him in, then on tap, he removes his helmet and the apparent lack of oxygen makes his head swell up until it explodes with as much force as the bombs?

20. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    That would be neat! Sorta like the black angry bird right?