6 months into the business

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 1stSPIN, May 31, 2015.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    The challenge of making a game go viral with a trail of failures to try and dampen your drive is what makes this artform/business interesting for me. I feel the misses sharpen your senses and open you to more experiment to test the waters. Doing this with casual games which only take a few days to program once the idea and artwork are finished is a good way to see if a new approach can bring in a better result. To date we put out over 30 games and are working on 5 new games as I write. So far the best result comes from making remakes of old favorites with a new twist to it. For example 2048 (our version 2048v2) adding 2 new features, a diagonal swipe and multi joining of tiles with one swipe and StickHero (our version StickHero Stickman Saga) by making the figure play a real role by carrying the stick as it is extending while walking towards the edge, the sweet spot on the opposite rock is a moving target. I personal think that Sumdoit, our own creation is one of our best and a puzzle that puzzle lovers would find interesting, but yet to be discovered. The next game which I believe is our own creation will launch will have 3 or 4 mini games in it. I still believe in critical mass being the key to success even if that critical mass is obtained by a previous game and not be editors choice.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Calling your game 2048v2 is about as brazen a case of trademark infringement as it gets.

6 months into the business and you are already inviting trouble.

3. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Could be but I would think it is hard to trade mark a number unless you are the government. I had this issue with lotto 649 in Canada. Glad to see you think the game logic I use is unique

4. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Even if it wasn't a legal issue, I'd call it "morally questionable".

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i think thats a poor show if someone calls their game 2048v2. That would put me off trying a game like that.

6. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    And BTW, this took less than 60 seconds to find on the www.USPTO.gov site. So, yes, you are violating their trademark.

7. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think if someone could be bothered going after you it it would stand up in court because you are trying to leverage off their brands success.

I don't believe trade marking a number in a context would be hard, just wouldn't stop people using it in unrelated contexts.

Anyway I know you don't care because most of your names are designed to leverage the success of the brand of other IP. I would be too embarrassed to do it personally.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah that just totally puts me off a dev if they are simply cloning/copying other ideas over and over. You see it time and time again with some devs, just piggybacking off other ideas and they have nothing original. Shame

9. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #9 1stSPIN, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Just doing what Steve Jobs did and that is make a good idea Walkman,better. My last business was making a silicone case for iPod better than a company in Japan. They were the most talked about case on the market. I knew nothing about iPod or silicone but learned quick. When I finished the design the case went to market. It was promoted first on iPodLounge. The Japanese company was screaming bloody murder and copy right etc. The members came back and wrote it is not a copy it is better design. From there we got our critical mass of over 1,700 resellers which built our company, factory etc. Look it up on the net, search iSkin / Xskn / exo / Lajo will give you some things to search. Business is all about taking good ideas and making them better. This industry is beyond coming up with new ideas because 99.9 % of them are already done so most of the work is to make them better. Play 2048 by Ketchapp which I understand is a copy of someone else and play 2048v2 and see which one is a better game experience for players. If it is 2048v2 then no need to discuss this and if not then back to the drawing board. Take a good look at your own games and see how much is truely, virgin original. An idea, artwork, scoreboard etc that is totally yours. Then post it here.

10. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Yeah, that's why they have been sued multiple times for patent infringement

Apple ordered to pay $533 million for patent infringement
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/25/us-ip-apple-verdict-idUSKBN0LT0E720150225

And no, you aren't just "making a good idea better". You are knowingly trying to trade on the game and brand of another company and trying to trick consumers into thinking your app is an actual sequel to their game.

You could have legitimately made a good idea better without the trademark infringement and underhanded tactics.

11. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Even besides all of this... Don't you want to make something creative and unique? Something players haven't seen before? How many hundreds of 2048 clones are already out there and how many of them are financially successful?

12. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Sumdoit, sudokuit are unique

The series of games we are working on now are unique as far as I am concerned

I am proud of everything we have done so far including the renovation of some popular games. I build because I love doing it and when i renovate a game I also love investigating what they missed and taking a stab at it.

2048v2, stickhero and The Hardest Stickman games promoted by the same company that promoted DNC would make as much money if not more than DNC. DNC made 800,000RMB the 1st month and is still popular if the reporting was transparent.

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    We just made a stick shift into an automatic transmission. Just try it and you will see it is faster and smarter.

exo was one of my famous brands and a former partner tried to use it by making a case in secret and calling it exo2 but I came out with exo2, 3 and 4 before he got to market and they were all better cases. It's all part of the game of staying on top. If you come out with a game that goes viral you will have people who will copy and others who will make slight variation to it and then you will have people like me who try to make one better. I expect the same to happen to me when I come out with a game that goes viral.

14. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Your claims you made the game better are irrelevant to the fact you are purposely infringing a registered trademark and are trying to trick consumers.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly. Thats whats really bad and i'm surprised the devs of the original game dont talk to Apple about shutting down this app. Its because it sounds like a proper sequel when obviously its just a copied clone

16. LucaRedwood

LucaRedwood Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi :)

17. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    you are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. sj nor apple has ever done that.

18. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    It's so shit that anyone can get away with cloning gameplay but as soon as someone steps on someone else's name, the talk of copyright and trademarks starts.

19. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    This! The problem you have is leveraging their brand. Not using their mechanic. You are intentionally doing this to try and drive sales not based on your new mechanics but on using their brand.

It is sad you can't see this and don't care :(

20. FeenixSA

FeenixSA Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Shady ass stuff. You know better. (or you should.) I'm betting you'll find very little support at TA.