TA Forums Game of the Week! (Apr 5)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, Apr 4, 2012.

?

What is your game of the week for the week of 5 April?

Poll closed Apr 11, 2012.
  1. Saturday Morning RPG

28.6%
  2. Bug Princess 2

17.6%
  3. Avernum: Escape from the Pit HD

16.0%
  4. Sky Gnomes

5.9%
  5. 774 Deaths

3.4%
  6. 8bit Ninja

3.4%
  7. Epic Astro Story

14.3%
  8. Gunman Clive

6.7%
  9. On the Wind

4.2%
  1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Wow, not sure what to do this week. Bug Princess 2 is Bug Princess 2 :)p), SMRPG will most probably win this one (and rightfully so), but I'm compelled to vote for one of the underdogs because as far as I'm concerned, Gunman Clive is one of the most varied, memorable platformers on iOS. Must.Think.This.Through.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wow I didn't know SMRPG was free! Downloaded and voted for it! :)

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah. It's a chapter unlock IAP system. Everything about the game is awesome.

4. Flare_TM

Flare_TM Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Its a shame that Saturday Morning RPG is winning because its free...compared to a game like CreaVures

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I'm really shocked that CreaVures didn't make the poll.

What the hell does price have to do with gameplay? Have you even played SMRPG?

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Free games get more nominations and votes on account of being free, no matter if they're as good as some of the other offerings or not.

Simply because people might be hesitant to buy a game (for whatever reason).

(Not saying that's necessarily the case here, but it's an obvious pattern)

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Card Games are sadly still a Genre that is and always might be underrated.

Gosh....there are so many Reasons why I should start right now to Flame you but instead I will wish you a happy Easter and give you the advise to download the Game a try it before you even start to complain.

Sidenote:

Sorry I just can`t stfu about that topic since some do see in CreaVures something that isn`t there. So let`s clear some things first up about it:

• Yes the Game is a nice Piece of Art but it isn`t an Masterpiece since it lack of Animation comparing it to some recent released Platformer, specially those from Bulkypix, make it look like an Jump'n'Run Game from the late 90's.
    • Instead of adding more Animation to the Game the Developer spent their Time with polishing Guns of Icarus Online which I personally don`t give a .... about if a Game like CreaVures has at the End to suffer...
    • Yes Chillingo did everything right (Universal Build, Sale for the Launch) so it wasn`t their fault and they gained a lot of respect from me for that Reason.
    • Yes the Game is one of the best of this Month even with the mentioned disappointment!
    • Yes I`m pissed because of that Reason because it did destroyed a lot of the mood in the Game for Me because I felt with the Rest of the Game in Love before the Tutorial did ended.

I wouldn`t say that`s always true since we had Weeks/Months where Games had won which weren`t Free even there were a few Once nominated that were it...

8. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Epic Astro Story should win-too many rpgs on appstore

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that free games have to win because they're free, but a good paid game might get as many nominations as a bad free game, simply because more people tried the free game, compared to the paid one.

When it comes to actual voting though, I would say people are a bit more considerate in terms of what they think is worthy. Still, if a user has only tried out the free games, that's what they're going to vote for. Just sayin'.

10. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    #70 Agas, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    Well, I actually nominate Nightfall upon release and then omit it because I find the lack of good tutorial. I think a good card/board game should have a good tutorial, not a "try it out yourself to understand it". I do agree that it will be one of the long lasting game compare to other, but it's game of the week, not most promising game. And I also have CreaVures and I don't nominate it because I think there's nothing really special about it.

In the other hand, Saturday Morning RPG is a good game. I don't care if it's free or not, but I find it fresh and different from others. So, I guess it's a matter of taste. My biggest surprise is actually that no one seems to like Skylanders. Why?

Regarding of FREE games in TAGOTW, since July 2011 there is ONLY ONE free games that win TAGOTW (Ghost Trick) and it's even some sort of lite version. I think people will vote not because the game is free, but if the game is good. If a good game is free, then it's crème de la crème.

Still, I'm voting for Bug Princess 2. Haha...

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Was the first one to vote for 774 Deaths LOL. But at least it now has 3 votes. It's the one game that has captured me from all the releases.

12. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Honestly, there's no way Nightfall should have been excluded from the poll, but it likely would never have won anyway, largely due to it being a niche genre, being too confusing for some people, and the fact that the developers decided to charge a fair price for it (read: "too expensive") when its main competition this week is free (at least for the initial offering).

I'm certainly not saying SMRPG is a bad game by any means, or that it doesn't deserve to win (and it will be the one I'm voting for this week), but the actual quality of a game in the perversely-skewed iOS world is hardly always the deciding factor as to whether or not it'll be popular.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Dude, I was gonna vote for CreaVures, I was one of the only ones who did nominate it. Not my fault it's not in the voting! So I saw SMRPG as free, downloaded and enjoyed it. I had no choice but to vote for it as it was good and none of my nominees got through.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    A polished turd is still a turd in the end, and that is unfortunately what CreaVures turned out to be. It looks god-frickin'-awfully gorgeous, but doesn't even play a quarter as good as it looks.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #75 awp69, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    Wow, this is a tough week for me. I like quite a few of the games, but have issues with just about all of them.

Will probably vote for Saturday Morning RPG just because I like the ideas behind it (but am not a huge fan of the combat/tapping system).

Sky Gnomes is good, but frustrating with it's upgrades.

Then there's 774 Deaths and 8 bit ninja....both games I like, but not sure if they're GOTW material.

Funny, I ended up getting the first Bug Princess this week, but needed to slow down the spending so didn't end up with BP 2. And I would venture to bet that it would probably have gotten my vote.

In the end, I'm waiting on updates for both SMRPG and Sky Gnomes, both of which I think I'll like much better after their updated.

16. thecabster

thecabster Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    C.E.O./Co-Founder at Lab Rats Studio
    RDU, NC
    Saturday Morning RPG for sure, a fresh take on the JRPG style with great touch based elements incorporated to make the battle system fun and intuitive to the device. Great nostalgia and humor back up a solid game.

17. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    We're already working on an update that will relieve you from the relentless tapping. :)

We're definitely taking in all the feedback we can!

18. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Are you guys fully taking the tapping out of the game? Because, for me, I actually liked the tapping. :)

19. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Definitely Avernum for me. Unique story, fully open world, and flexible enough to play it both as a traditional party based CRPG or with only a single character. Not a lot of depth like that available on the app store.

20. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    No, it'll still be there - we're just going to give people a choice between four different charge styles.