iPhone The Room by Fireproof Games, TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 18, 2012.

1. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    With the ammount of Egyptology symbolism, alchemical references and more in that 15 minute video I wouldnt mind betting that the thing you are after is either;

A: pandoras box
    B: illuminati pyramid
    C: an evil clown, clowns are evil you know.

This is pure speculation but it does look like its close to the wire if you see what I mean. Interesting game to watch in that vid but after looking at the stuff shown I'm not sure I even want to know what's inside.

Kudos to the production value though, it looks good and reminds me of a Leonardo da Vinci puzzle labyrinth game I played several years ago in an encyclopaedia CD.

In the least it looks interesting but I'm not too keen on the underlying imagery.

Or is the ending more innocent than what I am lead to believe it is? (no spoilers please, just in case)

2. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Saw it in Editors Choice in App Store.
    Was on the fence. Did a Google search and watched the demo.

I love games like these.

Next step hit reply and he'd over to App Store.

As always, thank you touch arcade.

3. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    I'm not sure exactly, but not long. I bought it in the morning and finished it in the afternoon, and I was only playing it about 50% of the time as I was busy with other things like looking after the baby. Still I consider it excellent value for money (and I'm one of the people who thinks $8 for Fieldrunners 2 HD is a f-ing joke).

4. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    I'd like to try out this game but what worries me is the difficulty. I'm having trouble playing The Curse, got stuck at the second question! :eek:

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This reminds me of Windosill. While Windosill was more surreal, lighthearted and dealth with 2D puzzles most of the time, The Room is darker (literally) and presents its puzzles in the third dimension. Both are fantastic games that are great ambassadors for touch based immersive puzzlers.

6. smithmeg

smithmeg Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I've finished it. Maybe 2-3 hours I think. Really enjoyed the experience. I found the difficulty level really good. Hard enough in places to make you feel clever, but not so hard (or so many options) that it gets frustrating. Here's also a really well done 3 step hint system that will point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

The control system works flawlessly, the boxes are interesting and detailed, and make sense!!! The whole atmosphere from lighting to soundtrack through to the story elements really add to the experience.

$5 very well spent :) and I will definately be playing through again, not cause it will be different, just cause the boxes are great fun to play with.

7. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    No worries,it's nothing like the curse. It's more a puzzle exploration thing and as long as you inspect every little detail there is to explore you'll be fine. Some patience is required though and the hint system is excellent. The times that i got stuck were in no way frustrating because it was such a joy to try to find what i was missing. This game never makes you feel not smart enough,it just makes you curious.

8. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Yeah, well put. What he said.

9. 9uillaume6onte

Jun 27, 2012
    France
    Shorter than I would have expected but if the experience is that good... I'll give it a go!

10. IcarusFly

IcarusFly Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Music teacher, administrator of a home for abandon
    USA
    What an incredible game! It took me about four hours to complete. The puzzles were not that difficult. It actually felt more like a hidden object game mixed with puzzles and incredible atmosphere. The only puzzles that got me were the ones that used the accelerometer. The hint system is great, and when I did use it it really does a good job of guiding you without giving everything away. Honestly this is one of the best games I have played on the iPad. It was very relaxing, thought provoking, and interesting the whole time. It is well worth the price.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm afraid to ask because I really do not want this incredible experience to end (even if now I am really curious about the story development)...how many chapters?
    I just completed chapter 2....and looked at the various box faces on chapter 3 (with a happy grin on my face).

Besides being an incredible game and a superslick experience, I would like to point out that this is probably the game that uses iPad characteristics at its best and in the most flawless manner.
    Everything feels natural but if you think about the puzzles...some are possible almost only on iPad (the 'orbs' puzzle cought me really off guard).
    Sometime I really feel in front of the box (never I tried, in any other game, multitouch so sure it would have worked as in real life).

Long or short...this is a game that adventure/puzzle/athmosphere lovers cannot miss imho.

12. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    @ pitta
    There are 4 chapters but i found the last one very short. Just remember that all good things come to an end. As has been said before they do hint at a sequel.

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Just to make sure:

The Room is, besides Lili, this Weeks best Game if it comes to Quality, Presentation and I can`t stop playing it even I ask at Puzzles.

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I agree with the others - this is a beautiful little game. The difficulty level is spot on. Challenging without being frustrating.

15. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    So is there anything else like this in the App Store? I looked at realMyst but it seems to have various off-putting problems. Any suggestions or is The Room pretty much unique?

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...The Room seems like a condensated Myst or Riven, without the walking.
    They are both fantastic games (better than RealMyst IMHO, I prefer the static screens), MUCH MUCH more difficult and longer.
    I've completed both on iOS.
    Myst and Riven work well on iOS, but they are from the past so nothing like The Room when it comes to the use of touch capabilities.

17. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Can someone tell me-- is this a good 10 or 15 minutes at a time type of game? Don't have a lot of free time right now but would really like to give it a try if that is the case.

18. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    I can't seem to find Myst or Riven on the App Store, just realMyst. Are they iPhone only?

19. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    I don't see why it couldn't be played in 15 minute bursts. I believe it autosaves every time you do, well, anything.

20. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    It is my understanding that this is the first game of a new small dev team with appearently some big names who have something to prove. Normally when i find a game with unique experience in the description i just find it to be some artsy fartsy crap,and that includes sword & sorcery,but for me this one was truly unique,something i always graved for but never could find. According to my itunes account i got 1500 apps and i'm a big puzzle lover and i never encountered something like this. Take into account that the production values are awesome and it's only Ipad 2 and up i'd say it's pretty unique.