Touch arcade as an app?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Wediafom24, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Hello TA'res, i hope this subject has not been disscused yet but I was wondering if we could have Touch Arcade as an app, just like Facebook or any other app with easier navigation. I am 90% on my iPhone and would like to access it without oppening my safari. What do you guys think?

2. lordbom

lordbom Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    That would be awesome! Opening the site from your iphone goes way too slow.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    This is an idea that was thrown around quite a bit a while back, but it has never come to fruition. It seems like a shoe-in, but it also seems cursed to never ever happen :p

I did see an app that was in production whose purpose was to streamline the viewing of message boards powered by vBulletin (like Touch Arcade), but I don't know what happened to that.

4. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Thank you for your input guys. Yeah, it would make a huge difference in navigating TA through my iPhone. I want to have it in my phone so that i can recieve notification and alerts in the latest news, reply to my posts and so on. I am even willing to shed some money to well and smooth TA app.

5. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I thought I read a post by IMNS in that thread about having a filter so universal apps are easier to find for iPad owners. I think he said it could be implemented later after other site projects are met like the TA app. But I dunno.. :p

6. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    For a quick fix now, go to the TA site on your iDevice. Hit the + symbol on the bottom, then hit Add to Home Screen.
    It's not great, but it'll do for now. TA tends to be very laggy on my phone, presumably because of the amount of stuff on the site. I think the site could use with a bit of tidying up-I find there to be a lot of unnecessary info o nthe front page that makes it look cluttered and makes the site slower
    Just a thought

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I wish there was a TouchArcade app...

8. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Thanks for the tip, will do that.

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Its still in the works. No idea how its progressing though.

Btw, feel free to leave any suggestions or ideas you have about the TA app (interface, content etc). Its quite possible that some of these ideas will get implemented.

10. Maybenotnow

Maybenotnow Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Film Maker
    AppCentreal
    Imnosuperman is my superman

11. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Thank you for the info. Smooth interface similar to facebook with easier access to the forums, news would be awesome and of course with alerts and notifications. The possibility of chatting with our fellow TA'res would also make TA app more progressive. I just can't wait!!

12. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    mobile site would be better IMO.

13. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

It should have a front page section, showing whatever the current article is, with the option to see older ones, via swiping or a button.

The most important part to get right though is the forum integration. It should at least have:
    -basic editing tools (bold, italics, colors, etc)
    -image uploading from the device
    -ability to view all threads similar to how they are arranged now, not just subscribed ones or certain sections
    -ability to create new threads
    -pm integration with push notifications

If there ever is an app it most likely wouldn't be an HD version so I'd encourage it to be universal instead.

I'd hope it doesn't feel like a watered down version of the site, rather it should compliment it by being as full featured as possible while still be optimized for touch control and iPad/iPhone screen size.

14. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
  15. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    TouchArcade deserves better than that D':

Maybe there could be some kind of drop-down menu that can make navigating easier (Front page, Forums, PMs, User Control Panel, etc.).

The front page could look the same, but just with a bigger font.

Paid version without ads, free with them. Support TouchArcade :p

16. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    An app would be great! I think a forum integration would be the most important part! (as mentioned earlier: uploads from the iPhone/iPod would be great!)

17. Solid Snake Man

Solid Snake Man Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    EMT/Instrumentalist
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been wondering about this for quite some time now. Seems funny that a site dedicated to iPhone/iPad gaming does not have an app for itself nor a mobile version of the website. Really hope this is in the works!

18. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Right there with ya pal.