Are top down GTA clones (like Chinatown Wars) done for on the platform?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Aug 22, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    ... now that it has been proved that a fully functional 3D GTA clone can work?

2. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Payback, Car Jack Streets,

But IMO, just stick with Gang$tar

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    not everyone has an idevice
    the content level will never be the same
    gta is already in the multi-millions
    no xP

4. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    no idea what those other dudes are talking about...but I would say that in general yes, but GTA will probably be an exception, due to the brand name

5. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I really enjoyed Car Jack Streets. Pick that up.

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I like Payback more than CJS.

7. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    umm lol what the hell are you guys talking about, hes not asking for suggestions hes asking if the top-down freeroam sandbox type game is done for on the idevice.

In my opinion, no, just look at Chinatown Wars, I thought that with the 3d ones coming out on the psp that the DS version was gonne be 3d (tps) too, but no it wasn't, but i still found it an enjoyable experience nontheless.
    I believe that even though the device can handle it, that doesnt mean that everyones gonne do it, and i do believe that if Rockstar is seeing the success Gang$tar had, they will eventually make a sandbox game for the idevice, or port one over. (chinatown wars anyone?)

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Exactly my reaction, lol.

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah I was wondering what was going on with their responses for a bit...

10. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    hey at least mine was helpful :D
    ... now i feel like a spammer, oh well I guess this is what it feels like to be a noob... it'll pass

11. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Not a good theory. "The content level will never be the same and GTA is in the multi millions, so top GTA clones will still be made for iPhone. xP."

??????????? I don't get it....??? I don't think you do either...

Anyway, forget that logic. I highly doubt that there will be anymore top down 2D crime games for the iDevice. They just wouldn't be able to compete with Gang$tar. Unless the top down China Town Wars is ported to the iPhone, but you'd think that Rockstar would want to compete by making a 3D one also.

12. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Ehh, I don't think top down GTA clones will be done for. Not everyone has the budget Gameloft does, and it only makes sense for smaller studios to produce top down GTA clones.

Gameloft definitely proved that a 3D crime game is possible on the iDevice, but again, not everyone has a million dollars to fund an iPhone game.

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Chinatown Wars is a 3D GTA game. It is NOT 2D, nor is it top down. 3D, polygonal models and backgrounds, cel shaded, and in isometric perspective with a fully rotational camera system.

It's not behind the back/over the shoulder perspective, no...but it ain't top down. And it ain't 2D.

14. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    And yes, I know I'll get replies with "you know what we meant", but, to be honest, seriously:

Make sure to use the right description for things the first time around.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    im reatarded and clearly can't read. Please pardon me :eek:

16. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    #16 Theta-Omega, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    It counts as top down, or Payback fits in the same category as it does.

Edit: And to make this post not off topic, i think even the the 3D crime sims won't flourish anytime soon. 2D topdown CS are done, 3D actually seems less likely because of Gang$tar specifically. It pretty much put up a challenge for anyone else going for something like that, so we likely won't see one unless Rockstar decides to give it go.

17. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

Nah, like people have said, Chinatown Wars had success. Also, it wasn't like Payback and CJS was really bad either, it's just that Gangstar is better. :p

18. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, Payback is in that same category (isometric 3D).

Of course, Payback is a bit of a special case in that when first released on the App Store it was top down, but the last update changed things to a isometric perspective (although there's still an option for top down view). Regardless, it's a fully 3D polygonal world with a fully rotational camera system in an isometric perspective. Isometric 3D. Maybe we can get away with calling it 2.5D, but even that's a stretch as there are height differences.

Games like the original GTA games, or GTA: Advance on GBA, or Car Jack Streets are fully 2D top down affairs.

Isometric =/= top down, obviously. There's a pretty significant difference. Same deal with 2D sprite/vector graphics vs. polygonal graphics.

Anyway, getting to the point of the topic, I think CTW or Payback style sandbox crime games can still do well. Same with straight up 2D top down games like CJS. They just have to be a good games.

FFVII apparently helped to usher in the fully 3D JRPG, but that didn't stop 2D JRPGs from being made. Same deal with Virtua Fighter and Tekken not stopping Capcom and SNK from making Street Fighter and King of Fighters, respectively. I don't know why sandbox games should be any different.

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, I actually think there's a greater opportunity for a more expansive sandbox crime game in 2D overhead perspective than in either isometric 3D or behind the back/over the shoulder 3D.

Think about it:

Less time spent getting the right sort of physics set up, graphical glitches (polygonal clipping doesn't happen in sprite games, after all), working out an adequate camera system that doesn't get in the way (it'd be top down, so camera's done), etc.

Less time on those things means more time spent making a wider ranging economic system, and character statistical system. Think of something like the "respect" system in GTA2 (which hasn't really made it to the 3D games) rolled into the economic system employed in the Drug Wars/Candy Wars games. I could see that happening more readily in something like CJS2 than in the next Gangstar game.

20. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Or maybe you just chose not to after an assumption. Either way, it happens, and is no big deal.