Promoting My Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CGSColin, Oct 20, 2009.

1. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Everyone that tries it seems to like Chromodyne, but it seems like it's very hard to generate buzz for it. Maybe I'm too timid and need to change that, but I'm hoping maybe someone has some sage advice for the new guy on the block :)

I know part of my problem is there's only one site review up for the game (a good one from the ever critical we play iPhone, mind you!), and maybe that lack of exposure is preventing people from buying it. It's only early days yet, but I'm just trying to be pro-active and market my game a little bit beyond that while waiting for reviews to show up.

Another problem is a lot of sites frown upon self-promotion, which is understandable to a certain point, but I was wondering if anyone knew of other high traffic gaming forums beyond TouchArcade that have a place for developers to announce/talk about their games? Maybe somewhere that has an audience that's really into puzzle games would be good.

Anyway I'm convinced that Chromodyne is worthwhile, and I've already got the first update in progress which is going to add online leaderboards and some extra fun bits so hopefully that will help a little.

2. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    Just make sure you maintain a blog for your games, and Twitter often. It helps to create a Facebook page too (free buzz). Also, use those promo codes if you haven't already! People love free games, and some of them will be nice enough to leave a review.

3. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Congratulations! I see you've been reviewed by a pretty major site (148apps) & are currently on their front page - that should help! :)

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Get a few codes to Big Albie ASAP.

Run a little contest here and/or dribble promo codes out somehow.

Look at what others have done in the Promo forums for ideas...

5. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Looks like things are starting to pay off :D

I'll be the first to admit that I'm maybe fretting a bit to early in the process about sales and lack of attention I was getting during my pre-release, but as I said I'm just trying to be as pro-active as possible.

Thanks for the advice so far!